8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cine camera help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cine camera help please
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2005 05:18 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

It appears that my Bauer S209 XL Super 8 camera is malfunctioning, and I wonder if anyone in the Forum knows of a reliable and trustworthy repair facility for Bauer in the UK.

The problem seems to be that when a cartridge is loaded, the capstan either becomes jammed or refuses to turn, as the claw mechanism just tears the sprocket holes and the film does not advance. However, the footage counter seems to be functioning OK.

The strange thing is that the capstan can be seen to rotate when the camera is empty.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or had the same thing? Indeed is it worth having it looked at professionally, or should I just bin it? I thought maybe I had loaded it incorrectly, but it has now ruined 3 films, so I am loathed to try it again until I know what is wrong.

I also recently acquired a Bauer S409 XL which I haven't used yet! I shall now try this out with fingers, arms and legs crossed!!!!!!!! - might be difficult, though in such a contortion!

Thanks,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2005 01:14 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the drive dog inside the film chamber turn? Sounds tome as it does not and that will give the damage condition you describe.Of that drive dog is rotated by a small rubber belt,I bet is broken in which case the camera will have to be opened up to fix it.
Hope this helps.You willof course have to 'fool' the camera in to believing it has a cartridge inside as the dog only drives when this is so.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2005 11:28 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry,

Thanks for your response. However, the drive dog does rotate, whether there is a cartridge in or not! I picked up on this one as I now have both an S409XL and an S609XL, which appear to operate correctly, as there is a small pin which engages the drive when depressed - as when a cartridge is inserted.

With the S209XL, it makes no difference whether the pin is depressed or not - the drive dog rotates all the time! Still, I fail to see how this could produce the problem I am experiencing, for I agree that if the dog were not turning, the answer would be much more obvious. [Confused] [Frown]

I'm still baffled!

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mention the capstan.Had I thought about it,this says that this is a sound camera right? Ordinary silent cameras do not have capstans.
So,the camera need to be fooled into beleiving it has a sound cartridge in it some how.By putting in a silent cartridge the 'circuit' as it were,is incomplete and yes,the film will not advance with a silent cartridge-but this should NOT be the case-it should work with a silent cart. with no trouble.So yes there is a fault developed but if you can manage what I suggest,you may
have some joy. [Confused]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE PLOT THICKENS! [Eek!]

Many thanks for your comments, Barry.

I have now tried all permutations of mechanical operation of the camera, and can still find absolutely nothing wrong. Furthermore, apart from the fact that the drive dog turns with or without a cartridge inserted (clutch adjustment, I guess) ALL functions operate exactly the same as my other two Bauers, the S409XL and the S609XL.

You are correct, they are all sound cameras, and all capstan and pinch roller mechanisms are working as they should. It may just be that any jarring which had occurred has now freed itself, as otherwise I am at a loss to know where to look next.

I have just shot another silent cartridge, having observed that the film advances, initially, by marking the film, running it for a few seconds and checking that the marked portion had moved on - it had!

So, here's hoping. By-the-way, as we seem to be the only two conversing on this subject, we must be careful not to let it appear too incestuous!!!!!!!! [Embarrassed]

Best,

Dave

--------------------
Dave.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC