8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Value Of "Way Out West" (MGM 1937) S8 Blackhawk Print (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Value Of "Way Out West" (MGM 1937) S8 Blackhawk Print
Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering what the going rate would be for Super Eight magnetic sound Laurel & Hardy Blackhawk feature films. I have a "MINT" print of "Way Out West" that I would like to sell. I was thinking it would be around the $100.00 mark. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I feel this is their best feature.

Thanks! Tom Pennock

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 06, 2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really only worth $25, but I'll take it for $50.

KIDDING. [Wink]

Seriously, though, I think $100 is spot on. In fact, I can imagine people willing to pay up to $150 for it, seeing as that it's in mint condition. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be the beaer of bad tidings, but this feature, (which is every other week up for bids on ebay) usually goes for 35 to 60 dollars.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 08, 2005 11:33 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,, Osi, i would disagree on that, films on e-bay must be being giving away if thats the case. A full version in sound from Blackhawk would certainly sell here on the lists for around 50-70 pounds which is pretty much 70-100 dollars or more. L&H films in General in good nik do hold there price well.Long as it is on B/W stock and not yucky color stock. [Wink]
BTW, Many L&H full features sell well in excess of £100,upward toward 120.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had an e-mail with Kevin Faulkner (I hope I spelled that right) and there is a definite difference between US ebay and UK ebay, when it comes to films. Films still retain a high value over in the UK, while the US was saturated with super 8 and so these prints go for a lot less. It's one of the reasons why, though I would love a number of optical sound prints from the UK, I have no choice but wait for them to appear somewhere in the US, as they are just a little too expensive for me, while the UK can have a heyday buying from the US, with the US dollar doing so abysmally. There is a definite value difference between the US and UK.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 08, 2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi, I think that sums up pretty much what I was saying. Yes if you look at the dealers lists here in the UK and on ebay the film prices are certainly holding their own comparred to the US and yes I would agree with the others that a mint BlackHawk print of Way out West would generally fetch about £80 upwards. Glad I got my copy from the US [Big Grin]

Kev.
PS Yes spelling was correct [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Osi, It's great to see you posting on here following our emails earlier this year re: Star Wars etc.
There are some seasonal factors affecting Ebay film prices - I've always got higher bids for my films sold in the darker evening months around October to March (when more people use their projectors) and found equipment / upgrade prices hold up better than films in the summer months. Allow for the growth in DVD projection and loss of collectors to DVD only and yes prices have fallen but you must also consider Tom is selling a mint print of a film that is a very repeatable title so it is likely more prints of this type of title have been worn out over the years making his worth a bit more because of it's top condition. I'd personally wait until October / November to sell it as a collector somewhere would love to use this in his or her Christmas shows and likely pay more for it then too. There truly is a lot more involved in getting good prices for films these days than ever before, with marketing and buyer trends needing to be taken into account to avoid practically giving films away, which would be the case if Tom let this go for less than $100.
Kevin

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really good print of L & H will sell well if you can put it over well, presentation is everything, so plan your ebay sell well, good write up and pictures, especially best if you can put pictures of the actual film to prove that it's not a washed out print. and absolutely sell in the darker months, the cine season.
If i was flush i would have it off you. [Frown]

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 08, 2005 10:45 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$75.

Final offer.

(Still kidding. [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2005 10:18 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I rarely sell but I have this in 16mm as well so I have decided to sell my Super Eight print. No point in having the title in two gauges.
Best, Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having it in two formats?! SLANDEROUS!!! (just kidding) I enjoy the info I get here! I hadn't thought about it much, but it is true, there appear to be much better quality and quantity during the winter months, (and the days are already starting to get a little shorter, hee hee) I know that I look forward to feature length prints of "A Christmas Carol" (1951) popping up on ebay, which I would love to have.

I must say, most, (not all) prints I have bought off ebay have been pretty good. In most cases, they are dirty when you buy them, but with some excellent restoration, they literally look new! I bought a copy of "BRATS!!" (Laurel and Hardy), that was disgustingly dirty, yet, with a good cleaning, I was suprised at just how little used it was! The same holds true with most of these optical prints I have recieved, dirty upon arrival, and nearly pristine upon encountering an OSI cleaning AND ME WITHOUT ANY ECCO OR FILM RENEW AT THE MOMENT!! grrrrr!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell you what, this leads to a discussion i had in work today, maybe the dollar isnt all to blame, we here in the UK are mugs and generaly moan about high prices for everything, including cine but we pay it. Although changing the subject somewhat, look at petrol here, Almost £1 per litre, In the US they simply would not pay that and would probably be in uproar. No Osi, the Dollar isnt brill but here we seem to pay the price and moan after.(me included [Big Grin] although i am learning and being more choosy) [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's "brill" asks the curious uninformed yank? True, I have grown by leaps and bounds when it comes to collecting. Except for "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", I have concluded my super 8 magnetic sound collection, (except for the occasional cartoon). I really don't see any mag features that I would be willing to pay that much for. One I would be willing to pay for a super 8 copy, is "Dark City", an absolutely extroidinary sci-fi film that runs like a freight train, never lets you breathe and has a suprise two thirds of the way thru that completely changes your concept of where the film was going. It was directed by Alex Proyas. Anyone seen it?

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 05:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Brill" = Brilliant. Just another one of those little abreviations us Brits tend to use. Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I share with the opionons saying UK prices are really high. Once the UK decide to join EURO, people would be aware that everything in there are higher than other Europe countries. German which is just adjacent to UK, is the example how a three parter 8mm films can be acquired almost half of UK's price.

So....come on Brits get into EURO, now [Wink] [Razz]

Bye

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 06:46 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a stil running auction for L&H "Way Out West". They come in 4 x 400 so I guess this is a full feature. This is from US Site, so I bet the auction will be ended around US$50-70.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6422820355&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

Another auction, but this is an ended auction for L&H Block Head (3 x 400), but I guess this is not a full feature. It was sold for US$15.50, again this is from the US site. For this seller, I once bought from him and the film was in the immaculate condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63821&item=6412542209
&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Bye,

--------------------
Winbert

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 10:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Refer to my posting on general yak. [Wink]

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2005 10:43 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for posting the Super Eight feature auction of "Way Out West". I definately will watch it.
In regards to "Block-Heads" the running time is about 57 minutes for the feature. This auction did not perform very well.
Regards, Tom

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very surprised that the Super Eight Blackhawk print of "Way Out West" closed on e-bay at $40.99 plus $6.00 for shipping. Not a really promising indication about the Super Eight format. Super Eight is either a dead format or will continually decline to end up one. Like it or not!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 16, 2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's quite that dramatic... eBay auctions regularly end in quite unpredictable ways, I find - with this one, whoever won the auction just got lucky, maybe nobody else felt like bidding any higher at the time and/or couldn't afford to. It's just a matter of timing (who happens to be browsing eBay and seeing your auction while it's active, who's interested, who can or cannot afford to bid high, etc.) - I see this all the time with multiple items of the same kind. Sometimes they make the sellers rich, sometimes the buyer gets incredibly lucky...

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's for the good positive words. I refuse to give my print of the same title away for that little. Yes, e-bay is unpredictable. Long live Super Eight and GOOD auction prices!!!

Best, Tom

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2005 09:02 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I refuse to give my print of the same title away for that little
Tom,

I don't blame you one bit. If a number of titles hit within a reasonable period, doing a search and looking at "completed items" will give an indication of the range titles sell for or if they're selling at all. I find it a good indicator to limit or raise a bid. If something keeps coming up every few weeks, then it doesn't make a lot a sense to run up a bidding war.

On the other hand, if a title rarely or has never shown before, it might just be a one and only time to acquire it.

Also marketing (i.e. pictures and description) will go a long way. I've noticed a lot of seller don't specify if a title ir regular8 or Super8 which can impact bidding as well.

John

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 06:33 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
or will continually decline to end up one. Like it or not!
Tom, although you have corrected your statement, i tend to agree with your previous one, seriously!.

Moreover with the end of super 8mm K40 (Kodachrome), there is no way to bring this gauge into ordinary people like me. How could I spend US$11 but then have to spend another US$10 for one way shipping to a private Lab in US and (most likely) US$7 for processing cost and another US$10 for shipping it back to me! and ...that's for 2.5 minutes show!

In the era of Kodak pays shipping and processing, I feel somekind of subsidise to this gauge, but unfortunatelly it is no longer available.

It sounds pesimistic, heh...but that is the reality .....For L&H Way of West, I predicted around US$50-60 but the result was much even lower! As you said..Like it or not....

If you see to the German Ebay, you will find how are the prices of 8mm getting low and lower. From the RRP 149 DM (which was roughly eqv. to US$75) for one reel 400", now a just ordinary title (not unpopular or worst production, like MIGHTY GORGY [Wink] ) it would be sold for around 6 EUR!

Yes...like it or not....but I'm still collecting it.

I will post a thread to tell how is my felling at the momment to this situation in other place just to avoid out of topic discussion.

Bye,

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 09:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is for example, an ended auction just a few days ago in German Ebay. A 400 reel of Clint Eastwood was sold for 1.5 EUR! what a price!

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6423856771&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:DE:1

cheers and keep collecting!

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree that the super 8 collecting things is slowly widing down, but I think this for three reasons :

1. The number of actual collectors is getting smaller. Most of the people on ebay selling aren't usually collectors, but some slob (I say that nicely) who inherited a collection from family, and is just trying to raise a buck or two. Most real collectors are holding onto thier collections like Gold!

2. Some titles, (especially in the case of Blackhawk) had an incredible number of prints running around. I have seen "Way out West at least every few weeks, (I check ebay every day) and while prices vary, numerous prints, no matter how good, make for lower prices.

3. With fewer reel collectors out there, there will be less people actually bidding on this wonderful stuff hence, lower prices in general. I hear that a few years ago, super 8 was going for a lot more.

For instance, I bought my copy of L & H "Pardon us" feature film, for 20.00 dollars about 6 month back. Also, I have noted that real collectors of super 8, tend to slightly over-value thier prints. There is a lot of love in them for the collector, and so they'll ask either what they bought them for, or slightly lower, and in the case of most films, you will never get back what you paid for them. Heck, even the Derrann Disney prints tend to go for about half of what the buyer paid for them, no matter how good of shape they are in. These may not be pleasant truths, but they are truths, none the less.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC