8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Where is the speed adjustment at Sankyo 800

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where is the speed adjustment at Sankyo 800
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 11, 2005 10:34 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Probably this has ever shown up in other thread but I cound't find it.

I just finished to rebuilt one Sankyo 800 from two broken ones.

When I started the projector, the speed was a bit too fast. I knew there were two small points that we could turn to adjust the speed level. But in Sankyo 800 I found some similar points. I did not want to do a mistake.

So can someone tell me (or even send a picture) where the point to adjust the speed level.

The belt (motor and the longer one) were also not good, where can I get the replacements?

Thanks,

[ September 14, 2005, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 11, 2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea about the speed adjustments... although you can probably get away with trying to adjust whatever's there without doing any harm. If the speed doesn't change, just adjust it back to where it was before, and move on to the next spot.

In regard to belts, you could order a do-it-yourself belt kit from Larry Urbanski at http://www.urbanskifilm.com/ which is $10 plus shipping - it's a 3-foot piece of belt that you can cut to size and weld together using a candle flame - or there may be Sankyo 800 belt sets available on eBay. Let me check on that, actually...

... Oh wow, wouldn't you know it! Someone's selling the belt kit here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Projector-Belting-3mm-x-1mtr-long_W0QQitemZ7544909798QQcategoryZ93780QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could also ask this seller whether he has Sankyo 800 belts in his inventory: http://stores.ebay.com/id=13581785&ssPageName=VI:SIB:StoreView

Good luck [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 11, 2005 03:13 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, Sorry I dont go along with that advice unless this guy is able to tell which is the speed control board and which is the amp etc. He cold end up adjusting the recording Bias or record level or even a main voltage regulator adjustment etc.
Unless you are sure which controls are which DONT play with them.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 11, 2005 09:41 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Main voltage regulator [Eek!]

Good point, I did not think of that possibility. Thanks for setting me straight. [Eek!]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 12, 2005 04:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome Jan, Just dont want any nasty costly failures which could have been avoided etc.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2005 07:20 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, there.

Look at your Sankyo from the side with the lens (as if the machine was to project onto your face), with the rear cover removed.
Look just behind the metal support which holds the screws when the cover in in position. Behind it there is a small board, mounted vertically on the main amplifier board (the latter is the one the wires to the internal loudspeakers come from). The smaller board is the speed control board: you will see the two trimmers: the upper one is to adjust the 18 fps speed, the lower one is for 24. Use a plastic screwdriver or a modified toothpick or you can cause a very bad short circuit if a metal screwdriver gets in contact with the above mentioned metal support.

I hope this helps, but as Kevin pointed out, do not attempt any of this if you are not 101% sure as to what you are about to do.
Cheers.

--------------------
Maurizio

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tagging on to this subject of speed ajustment on the Sankyo 800. Maurizio do you know how to ajust the 501 speed. I think it's the 501 or 701. Just thought reading your comments that I have one of these projectors that seem to be runnig a few frames to fast on the 24fps setting. Dont know why. The projector was given to me almost unused from a friend who did not want it. I did think it was running to fast and I put it waway in the loft having opened the back and could not find any speed pots to ajust. Having read this post suddenly thought you might be able to help. Or any member as well. It's a nice projector and would like to get it back in use.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 12, 2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply,
I think I know what I am doing. I have done this with 501...so I will be rally carefull in doing this with 800. But, how we can set the trimmer to the right speed.

BTW, I am also collecting LPs and in adjusting the record speed, we do have a kind like strobe that if it is too fast then the storbe will be running fast and vice versa. So we have to make the stobe runs stable.

Any projector or means can do like that?

In the case of belt, if the custom made belt is used, I believe length of the belt is not a matter, but how we can get the precise width? and shape too?

Thanks,

[ September 12, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 12, 2005 09:21 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The belt material that Urbanskifilm sells is round. Some projectors (like Elmo) use square belts, but I imagine that a round belt should work (almost) as well as an original factory belt. That said, I don't know what kind of belt the Sankyo 800 takes. But you can specify one of 3 different belt thicknesses when ordering the belt kit, and Larry Urbanski will be happy to assist you in picking the right one I'm sure. [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 12, 2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jan,
Sankyo's belts both are the square one.

Now, what about the speed adjusting, what measurement can I use?

Thanks

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2005 01:35 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about trying to run a reel in sync' with an NTSC video? That will give you a pretty accurate 24fps.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 13, 2005 01:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John,

That's a good idea. Hopefully I can find a quite long 8mm film that I have also on LD. Just be sure that is not the Chipmunk's movie. Otherwise I will get confused between too fast and the original Chipmunk's voice.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2005 04:43 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.
John's suggestion is really good.
For the belt: I confirm the Sankyo original ones are the suqre type, but after I have almost run out of such a spare, I started using o-rings, which really do a perfect job, provided the pulleys (on the shaft and on the motor) are well aligned or the "belt" will last for a shorter time.

I do not know the interior of the machines quoted by Colin but there must be trimmers for speed adjustment. I used to own the very basic model 301 which featured the trimmers on the board around the main selector if I'm not fooling myself. So perhaps it's the same with model 501 and 700. If so, you should remove the lower cover on the same side of the machine where the lamp and the controls are. THere are a couple of screws facing downwards below the machine.
Perhaps Winbert can be of more help having a 501.
Cheers.

--------------------
Maurizio

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2012 06:18 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I know the previous messages are years ago but I found them while trying to slow the speed of my Sankyo 501 sound projector.

In the model I have the adjustment speed dials are sitting on the inside of the base of the projector, left is for 18fps and right one is for 24fps.

I turned the 24fps slightly to the left and then listened to the singing on Summer Holiday with Cliff Richard, it sounds great to me now - this was the only way I could think of seeing if it was going the right speed now.

This forum is always helping me with my projectors and film hobby!
Cheers all,
Clinton

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2012 06:13 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have often looked at this thread myself and wondered where the 'pots' are on my machine, a Sankyo 501, which also runs too fast, by I'm guessing 2fps. I cant any that can be turned, all the components seem fixed and unadjustable. I do not know anything about electronics so I don't of course want to damage my self or the machine by fiddling around.
I enclose a composite of pictures of the board areas from different angles and I'm hoping that some kind person could point me in the right area for what I need to adjust, if possible, thanks.

-

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 17, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
Look at the right hand picture.
Now look near the large white tubular capacitor.
The two speed pots (variable resistors) are just above and slightly to the left.
They are brown in colour and have a screwdriver slot in their centre for adjustment.
It's best to use a non-metallic driver.
I regret I do not know which is which.

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2012 08:21 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this last week,left one is for 18fps and right one is the 24fps, turn screw to left to slowdown or right to speedup.Mine was running too fast so i turned it to the left a couple of mm.Then i screened a cliff richard summer holiday film until he sounded normal too me.It turned easily for me with a slight resistance.

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2012 09:25 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I adjusted my 600 sankyo by just listening to a little rascals opening theme while it was playing. if there is a film that your familiar with maybe time it on a unit that is set then try to match it on the sankyo.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2012 07:37 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much Maurice, Clinton and Jim, for your posts regarding this matter. I was able, thanks to your help, to alter the speed in a few seconds. I now have another usable machine in my collection.
I wonder how many sankyo machines left the factory, speeded up like this? Or is it something to do with the age of the belts affecting the running speed over time. The example I have again seems hardly used.
Thanks again, Martin

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2012 08:14 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most sound machines were made for home movie use not commercial use which most of us use them for now so one may not recognize the difference when you hear home movies.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC