8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The BFCC 50th. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The BFCC 50th.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 22, 2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back home at 8.40pm. A good day and at last i've been able to put faces to names. Didnt chat anywhere near as much as i wished, and Jean from France, i do apologies for rushing off but being up and driving at 4.30am with another 4 hours drive back we had to make a move but great to meet you. We should have stayed Friday night in London but that would have took too much valuble film money.

Excellent film shows with the 2pm scope being my favourite, That marix extract is nuts, i will be getting that one.
The Xenon conversion by Bill Parsons was outstanding.

Gary Ged and Steve at the Derann stall were also excellent, we took a few films,(paid of course [Big Grin] ) and had some yap and laughs. Again faces to voices and names make a difference. A great bunch of blokes though my Brother and Gary did have reservation on Football team support. [Wink]

Phil at classic, i will say i've moaned in the past but that was then. Today we had a small chat, bought a couple of shorts and left happy with CHC.Some superb titles on that stand, how i want to win the lottery.

Ian & Carol at Perrys were also great and we made some purchases. Always happy to chat with the dealers.
Got hold of a copy of Forbiiden planet feature for a snip of £65. Chuffed with that one. [Cool]

pleased to have met many of you on here to. John C--we will get sorted for that Menheniot show thats a promise.
A good day. Not sure if my next convention will be Ealing or Blackpool next. We shall see. Saving time now. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 03:49 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back myself. Good to meet kevin Faulkner and John Clancy.
Made some cash on the bring and buy stall and then spent it on
Keith Wiltons latest DVD which i willl be watching soon.
The Xenon HTI moded elmo was brighter than the centre of a small sun
and it was great to see so many extracts on 8mm. especially the Kong trailer which hasen't even opened yet! Also the reel from Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm
blew most theatrical 35mm into the weeds as far as resolution and impact was concerned. Even the best digital projection couldn't touch this. The extract from 'master and comander' looked good to although it was a shame it wasn't shown on the modified GS as this had an amazing light output to fill the screen.
Thanks must go to Keith Wiltons efforts again for keeping the hobby going as well as the various dealers.
Where else can you see 8mm scope and 70mm at he same time? totally bonkers!
Roll on the 51st.

Stuart.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 22, 2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just came back. It's 23:10 here and I'm exhausted. 10 hours of travelling for 5 hours of BFCC. My fellow countryman Daniel came from Lyon, so he added another 4 hours to his journey. That's brave.

Anyways, I'll write a longer report tomorrow. That HTI conversion made me reach for my shades!!! I'm still squinting.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 04:45 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Just hope Ian's wife Jaquie (or Jackie?) ism't reading your post. No danger that Ian is reading it since he is known locally as Minty,,,,,

,,,,never seen up after 8.....

write more tomorrow

--------------------
Tony

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 04:45 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got back at 2100. Another great day...I was the one upstairs helping on the stall next to Phil Sheard. A great crowd today. Some great 1970s footage as well from past BFCCs in the film show. Plus, Keith showed my Eumig promo on the HQS range of their projectors. Memorable. Certainly.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 22, 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes a good day and a really good turn out.
I have to say that it's not every BFCC where you get the chance to see 70mm 6 channel sound as well as 35, 16 & super 8.

-

Thanks go the the Co organisers Keith & John.
Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 05:26 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had trouble at one point keeping awake, but that was due to a long nights work and no sleep. Excellent to get together and see so many super 8 nuts all in one place, along with 16mm, 35mm and 70mm!! Great to meet up with Colin H and Jean Marc, and others. Great Fun!!!

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 22, 2005 06:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great time has been had by all. *slight jealousy* [Cool] Any chance of seeing more pictures??

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 03:39 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DAMM, Jackie? I always called her Carol, got no idea why. [Embarrassed]
Although it was clearly stated that we'd all meet after dinner time lunch show i may ask us all to wear name badges next time [Big Grin] [Wink] .
Hope those scope releases get a good boost in sales now for Derann and others.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 05:49 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sooooo...

After a good night's sleep, here's my report on a very full day.
I will spare you the hassle of the journey, but I have come to the conclusion that, next time (and providing I can find a reasonnably priced hotel in the Ealing area), I'll try to come a day early and leave a day later, in order to enjoy the BFCC to the max.

A small remark aimed at our dedicated organizers, Keith and John. I think the shows were a bit too long. I understand that you guys wanted to pack as many things as you could to celebrate the 40th birthday of our beloved format but, for visitors (like me) who have limited time to attend, it's sometimes hard to decide between watching the shows, spending time with friends, or browsing through the dealer tables. Especially if you want to do it all.
Maybe shorter screenings, like 40/45 minutes max, on the hour every hour, would allow a larger variety of shows to choose from and create more flow between the theatre and the dealer rooms between screenings.

Gary and the Derann crew were great (thanks again for watching my bag and coat, lads). A great selection of used prints. And that new Matrix extract looked fabulous on the big 24ft screen. I'll check if I can fit both extracts ("playground" and "freeway") onto the same 600ft spool, to screen the lot asap.

Phil at CHC was super friendly and in a very chatty mood. We discussed which lenses were best to use in these little adaptor sleeves he sells, and the difficulties of releasing new films. Kudos for the superb trailer of the new King Kong, which I acquired without hesitation.

Perry's table was a bargain Heaven, with a great selection of 400ft digests at 5 pounds and 200ft at 3 pounds. It was also a regular meeting point for our gang, and a good occasion to share a good laugh with Ian.

I exchanged a few words with most of the dealers and, apparently, they were all saying that the day "wasn't too bad".

The shows were really interesting. A special mention to these little commercials about super8 and to that surreal Ilford film clip of cowboys and cowgirls dancing while taking pictures and shooting films! (Was it colour hoe-down or colour "hue-down"? hihihihi...)

The German cartoon, about the record-playing bee, was also very intriguing. It felt like a technical show-off, demonstrating that Walt Disney wasn't the only guy able to create animation.

Nice reel about past conventions, when our hobby was more looking like an industry.

Perfect 10 for the pulse-sync Jurassic Park extract (T-rex attack) with 6.1 sound.

The scope show was probably the most anticipated event of the day. Seeing various extracts from Indiana Jones (1 & 3), some Bond clips and the final battle from Master and Commander was fun. But, Chris Quinn and I went "WOW" simultaneously when the tournament scene from "El Cid" appeared on that big screen. Mint print, sharp focusing, rich colours...

Then, the HTI-converted GS kicked in and every viewer in the room felt silent. As I said, I almost reached for my shades. Very Impressive job indeed. And the machine was used to show the new Matrix extract that left us all speechless. The projection area was raided by everybody at the end of the show to have a glimpse at the new technical wonder.

It was a blast seeing again John C, Keith W, Chris Q, Craig H, Kevin F and Tony M and meeting with new faces like Tom, Kevin C and Colin. This is a super friendly bunch. How we ended up debating about film care products in the little boys room is beyond me...
Mike, you were missed. Hope you're having a good time, wherever you are.

And now for a few pics...

This is part of the Forum gang, with Chris, Tony, Kevin, Tom and Craig.
 -

The massive 24ft scope screen, with a not-so-massive Keith Wilton paying tribute to the editors in charge of creating our dear cut-downs.
 -

Keith and John getting that pulse sync unit ready for the show.
 -

The same dynamic duo loading the GS. "Are you sure this goes in there?"
 -

And the much admired HTI-converted GS1200...
 -

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2005 06:14 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith and I know what you mean about the wall to wall film shows Jean-Marc. We were worried about this before the day but in the end took the decision that we'd have to leave you all with the dilemma of where to spend your time. Possibly it's a nice dilemma to have because at least you know there is something going on all day long that is demanding your attention.

Having said that, the 50th was a one-off. We're unlikely to attempt something like that again. That doesn't mean to say we're downscaling, just means it's unlikely we'll have wall to wall shows, Super 8, 16mm, 35mm and 70mm in the same fashion. And as for the Super 8 those shows were done from three different machines and took some planning I can tell you.

The HTI converted machine is now back in place at home and I've already run it this morning. I put on the trailer to the last of the Lord of the Rings films with just the 10ft screen down and all the curtains open. The image was still bright. Some collectors suggested to me that such a machine would be too much for a home screen; whilst I can understand what they're saying, believe me, you soon get used to how to use it and it's difficult to go back to an ordinary lamp afterwards. The machine has a 3 bladed shutter (the Xenon we use has a 2 blader) and for the Victoria Hall an F1.2 long throw lens - I use an F1.0 at home. One concern is that my screen has developed a scorch mark all the way across [Wink] .

Bill Parsons carried out the conversion and he can be contacted from the details on the Super 8 Links page of www.bfcc.biz.

Thanks for coming yesterday everyone. We had around 300 which is amazing, the like of which has not been seen for a few years.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pictures Jean Marc. I was kicking myself because i got to Bristol before i realised i left my camera at home so if anyone else has any images to go on they will be very appreciated by all.
That Italian place a couple of doors away does a screamin' breakfast. Set my Brother and myself up for the day. Good thing about the BFCC, everything you need is within' yards not to mention what the caterers dp inside for light refreshments.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 09:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures Jean-Marc! Shows why the BFCC is the top film collectors convention in the World, bar none. Just wish I could have been there. Roll on May!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 23, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Q's...

1. where can I learn (and see) more about that HTI conversion? (I must have missed it on the BFCC website somewhere)

2. With how insanely bright everybody says it is, what kind of heat does the thing generate? Doesn't the mere concentration of so much light on the super-8 aperture just burn the living daylights out of the film's frames (even if they're only there for 1/24sec each)? [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing much to add to everything else already said but...

Like everyone else, I thought the converted GS1200 was extremely impressive. There are one or two times that I've watched 35mm on big screens in cinemas (admittedly, rather dim 35mm) that's been less right than what we saw at the BFCC. Amazing!

Dave Locke's complilation of Super 8 from the first 10 years was fascinating. Extraordinary to see that in the early days, there were young guys with quite long hair at the forefront of the collecting scene!

Does anyone know if any of the copies of the new Super 8 magazine that was on sale at the desk are still available from somewhere? I failed to buy one but I happened to see a guy on the bus afterwards flicking through a copy. It looked very impressive.

[Subsequently checked the BFCC site and saw that 'smallformat' magazine is sold at the Widescreen Centre.]

[ October 23, 2005, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, Seems like we missed each other this time. Anyway it's possible that John C still has some copies of Small Format left?

John, over to you.

I have to say it was great being able to put faces to the names of some of the regulars on this forum. Kevin C, Tom, colin and Steve F it was good to meet.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,
Sorry I missed you and most of the others here. I bumped into various people in different places and this, plus the mental exhaustion caused by an almost sleepness night trying to sort out a big bag of films for the B&B, meant that I only remembered the Forum gathering after it was over. I'll do all I can to be there next time!
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bum numblingly good time on Saturday (that 90 minute scope show was the cause of the posteria pain), and met up with many old friends and customers, but a special hello to Tom Photiou and his brother, we had done a deal on a couple of films, but as we had only ever talked on the phone, we seemed to find each other easy enough (unfortunately I am easy to find), and spent a good 20 minutes chewing the fat on all things 8mm.
As usual everything seemed to go off well, and the 2 shows I saw (75 mins. & 90 mins.) were both excellent, with a bit for everyone's tastes, and John Clancy's GS1200 HTI conversion was very impressive, I think he may be busy in the near future converting other GS's once the original Xenon lamps run out. Now it's onto Blackpool for me, and I would imagine quite a few of the dedicated 8mm fans, but Blackpool has got a lot to live up to this year, as Keith & John put together a wonderful event again, but please next time revert back to hour shows, as my rear end cannot take it!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2005 03:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Barry, your rear end is not what it used to be.

Adrian, there are a few copies of Small Format left and yes, it is very impressive. I've lost quite a bit of money so far but if you'd like a copy they're only £4 (i.e. a bit cheaper than they are off the shelf but I'm not looking to make a profit so they're going at cost price).

With regards to the HTI conversion this was carried out by Bill Parsons. The converted machine was not formerly a xenon and was just an ordinary GS. I used to have a Gemini arc lamp in it but the power supply gave up the ghost hence the conversion to HTI. The projector doesn't seem to get any hotter than it used to with the Gemini lamp but please bear in mind it's only done about 13 hours with the new lamp so far so I don't know it inside out yet. This is the first HTI in Britain that we know about so it's the prototype and is effectively still undergoing testing. I don't foresee any problems and it doesn't have any adverse effect on the films that run through it. It still has a 3 bladed shutter whereas the xenon we use has a 2 bladed. That gives you a better idea of how much brighter these HTI lamps are. Ugo Grassi wasn't kidding when he advised of this previously. Well done Ugo - glad I got there in the end.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 06:33 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

Thanks for the info on Smallformat - I may well be in touch about this.

Just like to ask about HTI - if these points will be coverered in a forthcoming article somewhere, no need to respond here - but otherwise, I'd be curious to know:

Are the lamps significantly different to 'normal' ESC lamps in shape and size?
Do they cost a fortune and what is their expected life?
Is the conversion primarily electronic or does it also involve moving parts around within the projector?
Can the lower lamp setting still be used as previously? If so, I suppose even the lower setting is considerably brighter than an ESC on the higher setting.

Thanks,
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2005 06:47 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HTI is a similar size to the ESC/EJL so it fits in the existing lamp housing.

The life expectancy is 250 - 300 hours. Hence the lamp is called HTI 250. They cost about £180 each.

The lamp is powered independently of the projector which is why there is a separate power supply. The lamp control on the projector therefore serves no function and there are only 2 settings for the HTI i.e. off and on!

The striking mechanism for the lamp is housed within the projector. It is necessary to remove one of the speakers to make way for this.

I'm going to have to work with Bill to produce an article for this conversion as it took him a lot of time and he had to overcome difficulties which can best be described as "not insignificant". However, as with all things, once you've done it once it's easier next time.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, any chance that Bill might make available an 'HTI conversion kit' in the future? I'm sure just about anybody with a GS1200 would be in the market for it. Maybe he could come up with a design for the USA 115v 60 hz mains as well.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2005 01:41 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kit itself comes from Wittner-Kinotechnik Paul. But don't be deceived by the word "kit". It's not complete as it's a generic kit designed for installation to any projector but in creating it Super 8 was not really at the forefront of their thinking. The lamp holder needs modification for a start. Then there's the heat shield in the standard GS which has pin holes in it - that's a non-starter as the lamp will still burn the film through that.

Additionally the ignitor requires the removal of one of the speakers which for me is not a problem as it's a cold day in hell when I use the internal speakers in the projector. Lashing the lamp up is not straightforward so unless anyone out there fancies undertaking this I think you'll have to be pretty adept with electronics.

Good to hear from you Paul. We've all been watching the disturbing news of yet another soddin' hurricane in your neck of the woods and wondering how many remaining 60ft oak trees there are in your vicinity. Hope you and Betty are okay.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 01:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much John, yes we are all fine, Wilma turned out to be a wimp in Central Florida, but the people down south got pounded.
Congratulations on having the brightest GS on the planet, maybe you can show it to me next May!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to say that was one bright image. Bear in mind the 24ft screen which is 3-5 times bigger than most home screens
The distance from the screen, what was it? 30-50 ft or more?
The image could easily have been 35mm. fantastic,
Hate to have the electric bill though, i'm using my HD1200 most nights for a good 1-2 hours [Big Grin] .

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC