8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » small format magazine needs another 200 subscriptions to survive (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: small format magazine needs another 200 subscriptions to survive
Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2005 03:46 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I talked to the publishers. We need another 200 subscriptions to survive. So, if you are interested in the future of a magazine like this and have not subscribed yet, please be so kind and send us an eMail with your full address. Subscription is US-$ 79 or € 69 for six issues (one year). Please be so kind to inform your friends and other Super 8 and 16mm enthusiasts about small format.

In 5 weeks the publishers will make the decision to go on or not.

Jürgen Lossau
editor of small format
eMail: redaktion@schmalfilm.biz

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2005 04:08 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please everyone send Jurgen your email. I don't think I can go on if we don't have a regular fix of "Small Format".

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2005 06:13 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I hope it survives, but there was no coverage of the "Package" movie side last time, and I think that is a big mistake, as I would have thought that pro-rata there are now more "Package" movie collectors than actual 8mm or 16mm film makers, and if there was a guarantee from the puplishers that a proportional part of the magazine covered our market, then I would think they would get a bigger response, as I found the 1st issue too technical, interesting in its own way, but even I found some bits went right over my head. I know with 1st issue's you have to try out things, but with very little mention of home film collecting, then I think they will struggle to survive.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 26, 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed there Barry. It is an excellent mag but for me i no longer film on 8mm as the format is expensive and appears to be going quickly. i am 100% a package movie collector. Without trying to be too negative,(no pun intented), the magazine appears to be aimed more at the movie maker.

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, you are right. In the German issue of small format, schmalfilm, we have a lot of stories for film collectors. But all reviews are about German copies of course. For our first issue of the international magazine, we used a lot of translations from German manuscripts. We could not use our articles about the German film copies. Concerning the future, we only need some authors (and we do have some in the meantime), so I can promise you that we will also publish interesting stories for film collectors in the future as well. And you are invited to participate: write articles!

Juergen Lossau
redaktion@schmalfilm.biz
www.smallformat.de

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 03:51 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After accessing the site it is only possible to order the first edition for 10 eros. You can't subscribe even if you wanted to!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 06:59 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you just need to send Jurgen your details and then an invoice for the subscription will come out. Isn't that right Jurgen.

In issue 1 I thought the pictures of the home cinemas were wonderful, as were the images of the art deco projectors. Film reviews and hopefully a couple of advertisements from film dealers and the magazine is the finished article.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2005 07:56 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, John. You may also go to the website www.smallformat.de - its possible to order issue no. 1 there or to subscribe via eMail. We added a link to make it possible to place the subscription orders.

If there are any problems, just mail me: redaktion@schmalfilm.biz or put Euro 10 in an envelope to schmalfilm, Sierichstr. 145, D22299 Hamburg to get issue no. 1

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, that's me signed up.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 28, 2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about it but am still hesitant... exactly because of the moviemaking-oriented nature of the magazine. Another question that's been lingering in my mind (but I always forgot to ask) is: is small format an independent magazine in its own right, or is it a 100% translation of the German schmalfilm edition (released simultaneously)?

Since I speak both German and English, I guess my question really is, should I sign up for schmalfilm or small format? [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 03:58 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan, you need to subscribe to both of them [Wink] The first issue of small format consists to 70 % from articles from some issues of the German equivalent. But as we get more and more international authors this will change from issue no. 2 onwards. And there are a lot of news in the news section that can only be found in small format. schmalfilm consists to a big part in news and articles of the local German scene that are not so interesting for international readers. www.smallformat.de www.schmalfilm.de

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 29, 2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danke, Juergen [Smile]

--------------------

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2005 06:31 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juergen.
Ive just sent you some euros for a years subs.I was very impressed with issue one and hope you can continue.the hobby realy needs Small Format.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 30, 2005 12:01 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite my tight finances I took a leap of faith and just sent my address (with a six-issue subscription request) to Juergen's email. [Smile] (Now if I can do this, I know 199 other people can too! So whoever's still thinking about it, DO IT!) [Big Grin]

One question though: once this whole thing gets rolling, will my six issues start with the first issue, or will this be issues #2 through #7? I would like to start from the beginning, is the thing. [Smile]

Juergen: I'm going with small format rather than schmalfilm since I've lived in the States for years and thus must be considered an international audience [Big Grin]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 02:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done chaps. I read issue 1 again over the weekend and I have to say Jurgen's done an excellent job. There is still much in there for film collectors like us despite that not being the main audience as I would expect film makers outnumber film collectors by at least 10 to 1.

I never found Movie Maker or Film Making as interesting overall as this new title. All the wonderful photographs in glossy colour certainly helps.

--------------------

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 06:59 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Dear Friends,

there is also a new magazine from the USA: super8 today.

For more information please look at: http://www.super8today.com

greetings
Ralf
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 31, 2005 08:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many good items of interest in Small Format. I have now read my copy from front to back a couple of times. Its just great to see a well presented A4 Colour Mag on sale again.
I found the Kodak interview about the demise of K40 very interesting as well as the low down on the way Kodachrome is processed in the Swiss lab. The item about Bolex was also an interesting read. Reading this mag I found out that I can still buy Fuji single 8 film stock and when it's sent back for processing I can have it striped at the same time. For me the 10 euros was well spent just finding that info out as I did like filming on the Fuji single 8 poly stocks. Now I need to dig out my single 8 gear.
It would now be a great shame to see Small Format fall at the first hurdle so its down to us all to support it and keep it going. Jurgen, I'm sure, will take on any offers of help with articles or suggestions for future items to include in the mag. This mag is another way of promoting super 8 and I for one am right behind it and will give it all my support.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 31, 2005 09:09 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

I asked Jürgen the same question. His response was that the publisher is a big house with automated shipping. The only way to get issue no. 1 is to order it separately from www.smallformat.de or by sending $10 in an envelope. So I subscribed and ordered issue #1 from the site.

Let's see....Mark, David, Jan, Kev and myself. Only 195 to go!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 31, 2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Doug, he just sent me a PM saying the same thing - so that's what I'm gonna do. [Smile]

Could've saved us the count, though... 195 to go? Now I'm depressed [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 31, 2005 09:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
194 (ie - I'm in [Wink] )
Feeling any better, Jan?

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 31, 2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. [Big Grin] Now who will say 193? [Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 06:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
You missed JC out so that is 193 [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 01:30 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, it'ss 147! Thanks! And go on with it...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 01, 2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
147!!!! [Eek!] [Smile] [Smile] What can we do to bring more people onboard? Advertise on other forums? Spam family and friends via email? (No, I don't mean that of course) Or run down the street naked and scream "Super 8 lives, super 8 lives?" [Big Grin]

--------------------

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2005 12:36 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

www.smallformat.de

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC