8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SCOPE cartoons on super 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SCOPE cartoons on super 8mm
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 31, 2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for info from the esteemed forum members ...

I would like to know what cartoons from the golden age of animation, were released on super 8mm?

From what I know at this time, I know that the Tom and Jerry's were released both by Derrann films and earlier in "cinevision", scope, as well as a few Droopy's I know of "Millionaire Droopy" and I believe, "One Droopy Knight", as well as the Tex Avery classic, "Ventriloqiust Cat". There were a number of Mister Magoo's released in scope super 8, also cinevision. There is one more that I know of, or have heard rumoured to be released in super 8 scope, which was "The Juggler of our Lady" one of the few good and classic Terrytoons, which was a lovely scope release.

But apart from these, I can't think of any others off hand. Does anybody lese know of any?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 06:09 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineavision and later Derann released the MGM classic 'Goodwill To Men' the 'scope remake of the earlier 'Peace On Earth'
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 08:20 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Tex Avery classic, "Ventriloqiust Cat".
That was the original and flat. The Scope remake was titled "The Cat's Meow" same story, wider picture, simplier backgrounds. Just ran on TCM Cartoon Alley along with Millionaire Droopy (which I think is a remake as well).

Don't know if they made it to Super8, but the scope title would be "Cat's Meow"

John

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 01, 2005 06:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann just released the Donald Duck cartoon "Gone Hunting" in 'scope a few weeks ago.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 06:27 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't "Toot Whistle Plunk & Boom" a 'Scope cartoon release from Derann's deal with Disney?

Oops, I see that I came on to make the correction to the title and it's already been put in below.

[ November 01, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: John Clancy ]

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 07:15 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom-

This was released in scope and stereo from Derann about 10 years ago and I think its still available today.

Nick.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 01, 2005 09:31 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite golden age, but in the omnivorous mammal category, Tom & Jerry's "Downbeat Bear" is available in scope as is the Donald Duck short "Bearly Asleep".

My Derann print of "One Droopy Knight" is flat.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that "One Droopy Knight" was released in scope under the cinevision label, but there must not have been many copies made. Love to find a copy of that!

Funny, I have a copy of "Good will to Men" an exceptional cartoon in every regard. Also good reminders of those other Disney scope releases, (Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom, which, if I'm not mistaken, is an extra length cartoon, about ten minutes!)

By the way, it should be noted that MGM, as well as Disney, released bothscope and flat versions of thier cartoons at the beginning of scope's dominance, as there were many theaters not equiped with these large screens, in order to still give thier films maximum visibility, which is why Derrann would have a flat version of "One Droopy Knight", as it was released in both versions. The same is true with many of the early Tom and Jerry scope cartoons.

The harder to find ones are difenitely the ones not in current release. I just aquired a copy of "Magoo beats the Heat" (1956)
one of the original UPA cartoons, which were always pleasant, and getting to be harder and harder to find on super 8!

Check out my other post ... "Land of the Lost SCOPE"

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC