8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound Problem in Prints (WOW)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound Problem in Prints (WOW)
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering how many of you are having this problem.

It seems I have a bunch of film shorts on acetate from Classic Home Cinema, through Steve Osborne here in the states. After repeat lubrications, they are still running with WOW trouble no matter what machine I use to run them. They are as follows:

The Chubb Chubbs
Mr. Bean Goes to a Premiere
Rupert & The Frog Song
Beer Fags, & Women

So for those of you who are experienced in super 8 printing, what can cause this?

Funny, the few acetate features I have from CHC are running much better than the shorts.

Features: Raiders of the Lost Ark & The Empire Strikes Back

CG

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 02, 2005 11:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny that you mention this, Chip, as I also have a Mr Bean print that, even after being soaked in lubricant, still refuses to go through the GS...
It's more manageable on the Beaulieu, though.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2005 12:59 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry but, could someone please give me a good and specific definition of "WOW". I have heard it described for different things, but what "WOW" are you refering to Chip?

Nick.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 02, 2005 02:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be as if you were playing a record, then gently took your finger and "sped up" and "slowed down" the speed of the rotation of the record so it changed pitch. Does that make sense?

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi James

If possible, remove the cover while running a movie with your projector. Expose the soundhead drum and capstan rollers. While the movie is running, when you have WOW (pronounced as WOW not Whoa) the capstan rollers will float up and down. While capstan movement is normal during most reels, MASSIVE up and down movement is what you should avoid.

Not all machines can expose the soundhead while running. So please use caution when attempting this, and do so at your own risk. (Just had to put in a disclaimer)

CG

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 02, 2005 11:00 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me it's just a design weakness of the ST-1200 series of projectors... I've never seen (or heard) any other brand of projector produce this kind of wow with super-8 sound film.

I've been messing with the take-up clutch on my 1200HD for a while now, and I suspect that it slows the motor and film transport down but doesn't do so in a uniform manner; rather it may cause the slowdown itself to bounce somewhat, which causes the lower sprocket to accelerate and decelerate rhythmically (not noticeable with the naked eye) which in turn causes the rubber rollers to ride up and down. I've found that sound stability increases CONSIDERABLY if you run film through the 1200 and gently wind it by hand onto a reel mounted on another projector, bypassing the 1200's own take-up reel arm entirely!

Am surprised to hear, though, that even the Beaulieu is susceptible to this (unless I'm misunderstanding Jean-Marc?) since it's designed with a discrete capstan motor as the "master" and the entire rest of the film transport as the "slave."

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 02:22 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, the problem on my end is with the Mr Bean print, not the projector. [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let's see now, what causes this problem? Is it a combined Elmo design flaw, and thicker acetate prints with the choice of magnetic striping?

hehehe Jean I looked at your website under construction!!!

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This problem appears to crop up regularly. I have a letter from Derek Simmonds dating back to 1993 replying to my query about wow on new releases using a 1200HD. He said there had been a number of complaints from Elmo users. Derek thought it might be the new Agfa stock they were using at the time, and lubricating the film before use should help. I was doing this anyway, and afer a few screenings the prints seemed to settle down.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, in the next FFTC mag i have covered the rapid start up mechanism on the 1200's which if not working properly,(and lots dont) also causes WOW especially on start up, however--- as Jean-Marc is saying it appears to be the film ratherthan the machine. I myself (fingers crossed) dont have a problem like this on the currunt 1200HD i use but on my first one,(also a HD) marketing films always had a warble on the sound track, it could be heard very distinclty on music. One film in particular was the third reel of once upon a time in the west during the harmonica high pitch music. If i made the lower loop bigger it eased it but i could never get rid of it. I changed the sound drum, the flywheel bearings, everthing to do with the transport but to no avail. THE POINT, it was only the marketing films with the very thin but strong polyester film?? [Confused]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 03, 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jan has hit the nail on the head- it's all to do with the smoothness of the take-up. One of my GS1200'S has a wow problem on many of the films I put thru it. You can see the black plastic tension bar (between the sound head capstan roller and the bottom sprocket)flapping up and down, but if you grab hold of the take up spool, thus releasing the tension from the take up spool, all WOW disappears, and the black plastic flapper is totally stabilized. I agree with Jan that this is an inherent weakness of all the Elmo's. None of the Eumig's , 800 or 900 series, exhibit any wow at all, no matter what the tension on the take up spool.
So how do you smooth out the take up tension on the GS1200 so that it does not jerk on the bottom sprocket?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 03, 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about a solution to that exact issue... in an ideal world, I would add a THIRD sprocket wheel right behind the second one, have them both run at the same speed and form a film loop between them. The second sprocket would be free to pull film smoothly past the magnetic heads and sound drum without outside influence, while the third sprocket would "resist" the pull from the take-up reel.

Now since this isn't an ideal world [Roll Eyes] one idea I've had is to use some kind of braking pad on the lower sprocket... sort of give it some resistance so it turns at a more constant speed without the take-up pulling force causing it to jerk around (especially at the beginning of a movie, when take-up pull is the strongest)... So far I've only thought it through in theory, though. (Wow, I think I just came up with a tongue twister here!!)

Another solution I've considered is getting a Sankyo Stereo-800 but I haven't had much luck with that [Big Grin]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2005 05:15 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now this a strange one.

I bought my ST1200HD back in 1987 and it ran every print flawlessly (with the exception of one particular trailer I remember which was VERY over width). I had a couple of features from Derann (on Kodak), and these were perfect too.

In the early 90's I hired a few features from Derann over the summer and all seemed well except the last reel of "Poltergeist" which went crazy, with the two jockey rollers flailing up and down and the sound wowing like mad! Since it was only hired I lived with it and thought nothing more of it, but interestingly this was probably one of the first prints I ran which was on Agfa stock.

About the same time I bought the last reel of "Romancing the Stone" (on Agfa) and this did the same (Jan, I hadn't altered the take-up spool or tension at all). Since this was my print and I could mess about with it, I discovered that physically holding the two moving jockey rollers in place (whilst allowing them to rotate) stopped the wow. Now obviously there were some tension changes going on somewhere in the film path which would have to be absorbed elsewhere, so this was a bit naughty and could have potentially damage the print.

I stuck a scrap film loop on the projector and let it run all day with the jockey rollers locked in place. Then I examined it with a magnifying glass for any wear, especially strained sprocket holes, and found none. So when I ran this reel, I devised a way of locking the jockey rollers in place. It got me through showing the print wow-free many, many times without any excess wear (although heaven forbid I am suggesting anyone else try this! Do so at your own risk, I'm just saying it worked for me!!!)

Through the 90's I bought lots of new features and all ran perfectly until suddenly I bought one where all four 600ft reels wowed like mad. It was the same thing, the two jockey rollers moving around like crazy. I hadn't changed the take-up spool or altered anything and every other print still ran ok.

The very generous supplier ( [Wink] ) offered to change the print, but the next one was the same. It was suggested that this may be the "twin" to the original print and that they would change it again for a print from the next new batch.

The next print ran perfectly [Confused]

About the same time I bought lots of new trailers and one of them behaved in the same way, wowing like mad. No amount of Thermofilm seemed to help so I just lived with it.

A couple of months later I bought another feature (this was in the late 90's) and the same problem arose. A bit embarrased at the thought of ringing the supplier again (lets face it they had already been more than generous) I kept the print and decided to live with it.

I tried everything. Thermofilm didn't help, and locking the jocky rollers down this time didn't help either. You could see the lower film loop actually changing in size as the print refused to run uniformly across the capstan.

I sought lots of advice and one interesting point which came up was that if the print had too much lubricant on it (or the lubricant was not uniform) the print could slip when passing through the capstan, pressure roller assembly and then get "snatched" as grip was found again, creating wow. This it seemed was a well known issue on Elmos, especially with the brass capstan roller.

Cleaning off the Thermofilm didn't help and eventually I boxed the print up and stuck it in a drawer. Well, a few months later I had another go and amazingly the print ran perfectly!!!

Since then, if I have encountered this problem (and I have to say very rarely) I just leave the print for a few weeks and it usually resolves itself. I'm talking about polyester prints here. I don't claim to understand what is going on. I can only guess that it is because the prints are lab new and over time something changes. Perhaps the film base is not a consistent thickness after processing and this settles down as the print dries and ages slightly? Just as an after thought, as has been said already, you do have to make very sure the wow is being caused by the print not running smoothly and isn't actually in the recording itself as is sometimes the case ("Raiders", John [Wink] he he).

Touch wood the newer Kodak stock prints don't seem to exhibit this.

I'd love some more suggestions on this.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 04, 2005 08:54 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing story there Rob, thanks for sharing your experiences. This certainly sounds like something to look out for, unlikely as it may seem at first. I wonder if Elmo ever saw this coming when they designed and sold their ST-1200HD units? (When did the first films on polyester base come out, anyway?)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2005 12:13 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a film is not processed correctly before splitting. There will indeed be problems. Tension and Wow will indeed be a factor.

CHC may need to monitor the quality control. However that may be cost prohibitive for a small time enterprise.

Processing film is not an easy task, and it is costly.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 05, 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what gets me... many projectors simply have a capstan wheel/rubber roller arrangement located right next to the lower sprocket... nothing inbetween, no tensioner... and these kind of projectors (in my experience) never exhibit any 'wow' problems. So why is it some projectors DO use tensioners, especially such elaborate ones as the ST-1200HD does? Other than relieving stress on the film (which cannot be that great in the first place, can it?), what are they there for?

Even the quick-start mechanism in the 1200HD isn't meant for reducing stress during startup, but for reducing the time it takes for the sound drum to spin up to speed...

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I have noticed with my 1200HD's is the capstan rollers don't always turn when the film is going through. Most noticebly with optical film, but even sometimes with magnetic stock.

cg

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 06, 2005 06:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really mean capstan rollers. The capstan rollers should always turn with mag and optical sound. The jockey rollers as they are called should also turn. If they dont then the machine may be set up incorrectly and the bottom loop may be too big.
Wow can be a problem on the Elmos but I dont think it's film stock related so much as the quality of the actual print finishing.
Most wow I get on the GS is caused by rough slitting and if I get a bad print even just holding the edges of the film in a cloth with lube on it can cure the wow and unsteady picture you under these conditions.
The movement of the Jockey rollers shouldnt cause too much wow unless the movement is abnormally large. The rollers are there to mainly smooth out any uneveness from the takeup spool. Most wow should be smoothed out by the capstan which is before them. Wow can be introduced by many other areas from within the machine....bearings, cogs or anything which doesnt turn smoothly will contribute to the problem.
I have to say that on the whole I have not really had problems with wow on the prints from CHC. Chubs and Rupert are fine on my GS and I have just recorded Knick Knack in stereo with no wow at all. I have had more problems with wow on Poly prints due to the fact that poly stock blunts the slitting knives much quicker during the film slitting stage which is why I put most of these probs down to the film itself and not the machine. Years ago most labs treated their films especially when they were running flat out producing miles of final prints but these days that is not the case so its advisable to lube your own prints and also remember that brand new (green) prints will run better when a few months old comparred to straight off the processing machine. The moisture content of the film will change as the film ages and this will have an effect on the running properties.
Thats all for now folks [Wink]

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2005 10:22 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,
On one of my GS1200'S wow is definately being caused by unevenness of the take up spool tension, since if I hold the take up reel and let the film spill out from the back of the machine all wow disappears. Is there anything that I can do to solve this problem?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 06, 2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still wondering why we have jockey rollers at all?... And why Elmo saw fit to go with not one, but two of them in the 1200HD design?...

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 06, 2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, on some of the ST1200 series they had only one jokey roller. In my opinion this design was much better than the 2 rollers.
Paul, Its important to make sure that the motor on the takeup is adjusted properly. Its held to the machine on a baracket. I loosen the four small screws which hold this bracket in place and then slightly move the bracket about to give the smoothest running along with the least running noise which you can hear if the machine is put in rewind mode as both motors run in all modes. The reason for doing this adjustment is to make sure the gears mesh nicely between the motor assay and the gear on the rear of the takeup arm. The tension also needs to be correct and is normally adjusted with a pot on the small circuit board mounted onto the rewind motor at the front of the machine. The top pot is for the rear takeup motor and should measure about 5V at the red and blue motor wires.
Wow though should not normally be too much of a problem on the ST or the GS....make sure the capstan and capstan roller are not dirty or the rubber is not glossy otherwise the film can be jerked through at that point.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 06, 2005 01:22 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm aware that the non-HD models have only one jockey roller, thus my question. [Cool] I think I got the whole thing licked on my end, but should I run into trouble again, I might try fixing one of the rollers in place and just letting the other one do its job. Sort of a compromise between the way it's supposed to work and the way Rob dealt with it that one time.

IMHO, none of this would ever be an issue if the lower sprocket didn't have the kind of play it does!!!! [Mad]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC