8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Cleaner on Super8 Projector mount

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Cleaner on Super8 Projector mount
Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2005 11:09 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever tried to install a Film Cleaner before the film entry guide of a Super8 Projector? Do you think it is worth a try to protect those rare features?
I've just noticed one mounted in a Bauer 510 Projector here: http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/62/e0/21_1_b.JPG

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 12, 2005 09:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Modifying a Kelmar 35mm or 70mm cleaner to run on 8mm is easy enough...but so is making a cleaner stand. What we used to do years back was to make a wooden stand made of two vertical posts. At the top would be the film cleaner bracket that the cleaner would attach to (initially designed to mount on the top of a 35mm projector) and the film would pull off of the supply reel in a southeast direction into the cleaner, then leave the cleaner in a southwest direction into the projector. A "shelf" support in between the two vertical posts would hold the anamorphic, similar to what Chip Gelmini has.

It worked magnificently and does a far better job of cleaning than any other machine on the market could. (It also cleans better than doing it by hand.)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
trouble with cleaning by hand is exactly how much pressure should you put on the film with your fingers?, i mean, should the film pass lightly or are you meant to squeeze firmly, how et should the cloth be? pads on film cleaners do appear quite tight?? [Confused]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 04:53 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi quite agree Tom, its very easy to apply a bit much pressure and actually put fine scratches on the film. Especially with a not so lubing cleaner. I would imagine going by filmgaurds properties its about the best to get away with that.
I`m about to try some properly thanks to a kind forum member.
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 05:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Noris made one especially for mounting on the front of their range of machines. It's a bit like the device that you can put on most editors.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 06:45 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
& thanks to my mate Kev ( [Wink] ) i have one now and am very pleased with it.

Dimitrios Kremalis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 07:15 AM      Profile for Dimitrios Kremalis   Email Dimitrios Kremalis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, does it fit a GS-1200 too?

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 08:29 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh but if you use WD40 as a lube and cleaner........ [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 08:43 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW Tony WD40 do you think it will work [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

What about that top quality cleaner sold at Classic Home Cinema? Now if only I could remember what it’s called!!! Ah yes PARAFFIN. [Big Grin]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 13, 2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nahh... Armor-All is the way to go... (you knew that was coming) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 06:07 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two or three things to say on the paraffin!
Folks... don't use it!
When you lub the film with it you think it's a good thing for the film: the scratches disapper, the film runs smootly and so on.. but...
...you don't know the paraffin is like a "dead penality" for claw's pin! The film with the paraffin on is like plate for food with a graese layer on: your hands don't slide on it.

I ran many test and now I know the best way to clean the film is a mix of naphtha and sylicon oil (5%). The best naphtha for the film is that for lighter.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo

I came across a tin of Silicon Oil for the photocopier at work, could this be the same thing?

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 14, 2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
WD40. KW has been using it for years on the prints he shows at the BFCC and Craig had some striped film imersed for nearly a year with absolutely no problems to the film or stripe.
I have used it and the couple of films I have tried it on still run through the GS ok and the marks are still gone.
Easier to use a spray can instead of bottles of liquid even if they do smell the same! [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 14, 2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, who's KW? ... And am I getting that right, you're seriously recommending WD40 for cleaning film?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 11:10 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe KW is Keith Wilton. The 'Dean Emeritus' of the BBC and Super 8mm,
16mm & 35mil. BFCC, FLD,FF, and FFF&F.

quote:
Billy Gilbert from The Music Box [Big Grin]
Seriously, don't mess with KW, he know a thing or two, about a thing or two.
And keeps the medium- alive.

Check out his personal cinemas. I believe he has 3 in his home.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 06:55 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi tony,
I think it should work. The best way is to run some tests on less value films.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 07:23 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo,

Does your Silicon/Naptha mix do anything for the scratches? Or does it just clean?

--------------------
Tony

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little bit it works on the scratches

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC