8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 700

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 700
Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 09:36 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be taking delivery of a Sankyo 700 this week and prior to it arriving was wondering if any of you chaps have had any dealings with this model.

Are there any major pitfalls that I should look out for? Or are they generally an ok machine.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grsig, these are machines that i do like the look of, let us know a full report on it when you get it and try it.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2005 07:13 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, good news & bad news! First the good news is that the Sankyo arrived today. Bad news, it was so well packed in polystyrene chippings the whole of the projector is covered in a fine white dust. Tonight I will take it to work & give it a good blast inside & out to remove all dust particles. Whilst I am at it I will clean & re-lube all the internal mechanics.

Friday night will be the cosmetic clean & polish ready for Saturdays Cine fest with me & the boys, we will put it through its paces then. I will then post results on the forum on Sunday. At first glances it is a nice looking machine with plenty of Knobs & sockets, the focus knob is very Elmo. So as I said earlier, report & hopefully some pics to follow.

Craig

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2005 02:04 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tom, I have given the Sankyo a good bench test today & can report that it is a fantastic little machine. It runs absolutely perfectly and smooth, great sound output and a rock steady picture. I was a little dubious about the performance of the F1:4 lens but have to say that it is very impressive. The light output is excellent for a 100w lamp and focus is sharp right across the screen.

It is a very well built and ascetically pleasing to the eye. All of the film path, gate & sound heads are easily accessible for easy cleaning. Auto thread works perfectly every time, this is mainly due to the fact that the film exits directly under the centre of the take up reel enabling the hub to grab the leader effortlessly. All of this for a ridiculously low price of £36 from ebay. I know your not the biggest fan of ebay, but I have dealt with this seller before & he is a film collector.

-

To sum up, a very nice machine & well built, highly recommended if anyone is considering a secondary projector.

Craig

[ November 19, 2005, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Craig Hamilton ]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 19, 2005 03:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome... I've heard so many good things about Sankyo machines, more and more I want one. Particularly the Stereo-800, though, as I'm still looking to get a machine capable of stereo recording, not just playback. Well, someday. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 19, 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jan believe me...don;t get Sankyo 800!!! (Mike Peckham will disagree of course)....It is humming quite LOUD!

I have three of them and all get retired!. Sankyo is perfect in placing the film path, gate & sound heads as Craig has mendtioned so they are easily accessible for easy cleaning. It also allows us to take the film out in the middle of the show if we decide to cancel it. Not like ELMO 800 whick need quite a lot of effort.

But the humming is so disturbing.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 19, 2005 04:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I have heard a few Sankyo 800's and owned one myself but I have to say not with any humming on the sound. A few of us had a get together at Tony Milman's and Mike bought one of his 800s with him. There certainly was no sign of hum from his machine. What supply voltage are you on in your country? it may be something to do with a different transformer for your supply voltage.
As for the ST800's I have not had problems unlaceing them part way through. I have to say that the GS1200 can be a bit of pain to unlace part way through. It tends to be very fiddly getting the film out of the first sprocket on the ver 2&3 machines. The ver1 was much easier at the top sprocket as it doesnt have the microswitch in the top guide and allows the top shoe to lifted further forward giving more clearance.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 19, 2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to have trouble removing film from my ST-1200HD... the top sprocket I can somewhat handle (although it's tight up there) but the area between the soundheads and lower sprocket really is what drives me to invent colorful new language as I go. [Roll Eyes]

Winbert - is your electric supply grounded? i.e. do you have 3-prong AC outlets in your country, and are they properly wired? Methinks that the humming problem you have might be caused by missing ground.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 20, 2005 02:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, if your 1200 is optical sound as well,flip the sound changeover to optical when unlacing, it makes it a bit easier.

Graig that Machine sounds excellent. I want one. [Frown]
What sort of prices do these machines fetch these days. I have to admit as i always look at Elmo's i tend to take little notice of other makes which is wrong.

Sounds like wot im looking for to help give my 1200 a rest. Its used almost every other day. [Wink]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2005 03:13 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 Sankyo 800's and neither has a hum problem. Both are sweet sounding machines that seem to be kind on the old film. A joy to use.

--------------------
Tony

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2005 03:28 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, this machine cost me £36.

Craig

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 20, 2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
F*** me sideways. £36 [Eek!]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2005 09:41 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom

Not an offer I would make to Craig lightly [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 20, 2005 10:10 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 20, 2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I think all you have said have a point. Electric current! Yes being in a developing country, we are not so lucky like you guys live in UK or US, which have very stable electric current. We use 220v, 50hz..but noone can assure this is stable. Here, the electric points have three pins, but nothing is connected to the ground pin, so it is only for decoration.

So the point is taken.

One story, I ve once got a mint and brandnew Sankyo 700 like one on the above in a photography shop, it was in box....price? ...even £36 is too expensive!

I took the projector out of the box..wire it up....wait for a second....BANG!!!... some componets blew up!.

Perhaps you have known that I live in the most humid country. So everything lying for years must have suffered a lot with humidity. I think, those components inside this projector had melted (if this is a correct term) and resulted nice fireworks. [Big Grin]

This could also happen to my Sankyo 800s....while they were being used...some components on the amplifier must have broken....so HHHHuuuuMMMMMMMMMiiiiiNNNNNgggggg.

Jan...don't worry... get it....moreover....you are not going to listen the sound from the original speaker, aren't you? This is a stereo machine...you must hook this up with an external amplifier. Then...there is no humming issue in this matter.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 20, 2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish my 1200HD had optical sound, it's been intriguing me especially since Osi Osgood graced our forum by joining it. [Wink] Ahwell, here's looking out for an optical-sound machine. Or maybe I could try running super-8 film past the optical pickup on my 16mm Eiki SSL-0. (having yet another mad idea) [Roll Eyes]

Winbert, I wonder... is air conditioning common in your area? I would think that it should be nice and cool/dry inside your home... but as for that ground pin, it might be a good idea to have it wired up by an electrician. As for the Sankyo 800, great if I end up getting one, but my main cine machine is still the Elmo 1200HD and I'm just looking to be able to record in stereo, so as to re-record a few of my features. It's just uncanny how I can't seem to find anything capable of that, other than GS1200 units and other, similarly out-of-reach objects of desire! [Eek!]

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2005 11:25 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, your place or mine [Big Grin]

Craig

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 20, 2005 12:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yours, i'll bring me slippers [Big Grin]

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom & Craig, if the event is to take place sideways, remember to film it in 'scope!!!!!!!!!!
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC