8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Intercutting Star Wars to be 3 x 400?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intercutting Star Wars to be 3 x 400?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 10, 2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read and read again this review on Ken vs Marketing in Star Wars http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000045

Could someone help me out:

I just received this title from Germany in 3 reels, i.e 2 reels from Marketing (1 x 400 and 1 x 200) plus UFA (1 x 400). It is so pity that Marketing only released the second reel for 200". I do hope to have 3 full reel x 400 to obtain 45 minutes show.

Now, do you think I can add another 200 feet taking from the Ken Part 2?

I haven't seen Ken Part 2 so I don't now the contain and need your help.

But let me tell you that the scenes at Ken Part 1, from start to end, is equal to my Germany reels, from the first reel to the third (until one-third of the reel). So in the last two-third of the third reel, there is 10 minutes left before the medal presentation in the end of the film.

I was thinking that if the Ken Part 2 (full) is intercut into my third reel then I will have 45 minutes show, is this correct?

Your input is appreciated,

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2006 03:07 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, the Ken Part 2 includes (in an abridged form);

Luke cleaning the droids and discovering Princess Leia's hidden message,

Luke heading into the desert and being attacked by the sandpeople and his rescue by Ben Kenobi,

The arrival at Mos Eisely with Ben and meeting Han Solo and Chewbacca in the cantina,

The Millenium Falcon escaping Tatooine,

The firing of the Death Star and the destruction of Alderann,

The return of the Millenium Falcon to the rebel base and the final battle and destruction of the Death Star,

The awards ceremony at the end.

Non of these scenes are in the Marketing version or the Ken Part 1, so I think you will get a lot more than 200ft from the Ken Part 2!

Haven't timed a completely edited version, but I think 45 minutes sounds about right if you put it all together.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I just got your email.

My review is based ONLY on the Marketing version compared to the KEN version, NOT the UFA, which I have not seen (sorry, I didn't read your first post properly).

I didn't know the UFA version contained anything different to the Marketing version, so that is very interesting and I must try and find a copy.

I hope the details in my last post (above) give you an idea of what is in the Ken Part 2 so that you can judge if it is worth finding.

Let me know if you want any further details.

I just had another thought; I think there were two 400ft UFA extracts, so maybe these are in-fact very similar to the Ken Parts 1 and 2 as I think you suspect.

Maybe someone who is familiar with the UFA versions could help us both out here [Confused]

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 12:02 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Rob,

UFA definitely released just ONE 400ft extract of STAR WARS. I have read in a German collector's magazine, that this extract is completely identical with part 2 of the Ken version, as UFA took this reel over from Ken.

Eberhard

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]
Hello Winbert and Rob,

I am a great Star Wars Fan and when Marketing released Star Wars I bought the two parts (400 ft and 200ft). After a few years UFA relased a different 400 ft Version of the film and I also bought it, because this version included many different scenes to the marketing version. I interspliced the the three films. So all three parts interspliced give a 900ft Version.

From Mr. Kempski in Germany I bought then a 400ft Scope release and this Version was the same as the UFA 400 ft release. On the start of the scope Version was to read (Star Wars Ken Films Part 2). I think it was the same Version as Part 2 in flat from Ken and so I mean the UFA 400ft Version and the Ken 400ft Version are the same.

UFA have many KEN releases in their cataloge in this time.

I hope this helps you.

Many Greetings from Germany(and sorry about my bad english)

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 13, 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ralf,
Thanks for that confirmation.

But how can UFA = Ken Part 2, since the last scenes that I see from Ken part 1 (i.e. Kenobi swithces the button, Kenobi's sword fight with Dart Vader, "Run Luke...Run Luke"'s scene, battleship space war and Luke shoots a space war) are in my UFA's reel? Those scenes are sitting in about one-third of the reel.

Now, could Ralph or Rob tell me, if your Ken Part 2 has also the same scenes like what I have mentioned above? (but I suppose it would not, because if that the case, then who ever intersplicing Ken Part 1 & 2 will get the same of last scenes)

But to be noted, all my three reels are really splicy and I think, it came from different stocks/labs, since the saturation, color temperature and sound quality are sometimes different.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 05:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clearing that up Eberhard and Ralf.

Winbert, the brief scenes with "run Luke run" and the Millenium Falcon escaping the death star are in BOTH the Ken Pt.1 and the Ken Pt.2 (or it would seem UFA version).

This was done to help both Pt.1 and Pt.2 make sense on their own.

This is the only footage which is duplicated in both parts and accounts only for a couple of minutes. After this, the Ken Pt.1 moves into the Tie-fighter battle (as does the Marketing Pt.2) but the Ken Pt.2 moves straight to Moff Tarkin telling Vader, "I'm taking an awful risk Vader, this had better work" and then the final scenes preparing for battle, attacking the death star, etc.

So I think this all makes sense now [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Smile] with your version being the Marketing version with the various scenes from the UFA (which it seems are the same as the Ken Pt.2) being spliced in all the way through?

Ralf, I have the Ken scope version of Pt.2 but I believe there may also have been a cineavision version (all same content). Is the Kempski version a full frame image, or does it have the edges of the image slightly black masked off as a cineavision print would?

I wonder if anyone could confirm a cineavision version out there (or did I dream this?) as prints made by cineavsion were actually the most accurate representation (in terms of image ratio) of the theatrical releases.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 08:42 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

Hello Rob,

the 400 ft scope Version of star wars I bought from Kempski has a full frame and Mr Kemspki told me later on a film fair that he imported the print from Dr. Van Tetering of Cineavision. Cineavision self imported the scope version also from Ken and never released a version with black masks on the right and left side. Because it was to expensive for them to make a 400 ft extract.

Ken Part 1 and 2:

One reason, that Ken Part 1 and 2 included some identical scenes was (I think) that the second part was released a few years later than part one. By the way was there a scope Version of part 1????

In fact I know that Ken also released a 200 ft extract of star wars. Wich scens are in this release?? Was it a short of Ken part 1 or 2???

I think the film distributers in this time released many versions of their films, because so they sold more to the collectors.

What about The empire strikes back???

UFA take the Ken release of this film over ( 2x400ft). But on ebay I saw a 400 ft extract from Ken of this title. Is it right, that Ken relased a 400ft extract and a 2x400ft version of this film and are in the 400ft version some scenes to be interspliced in the two parter???

May the force be with you!!!

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 10:12 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ralf, so it looks like all scope versions of Pt.2 originate from Ken.

No, there was never a scope Ken Pt. 1.

The 200ft Ken version is basically a shorter version of the 400ft Pt.1, but I believe it was actually produced first. It opens with the scene at Ben Kenobi's house and is a little longer than the same scene in the 400ft Pt.1. It includes Ben giving Luke the lightsabre which is not in Pt.1 and continues on a little longer too, so this scene could be used to extend all versions slightly. The 200ft then basically moves to the death star escape and the tie-fighter battle (same as Pt.1).

By the way, you are right that Ken Pt.2 was produced later than Pt.1 and both were designed to be self-contained, hence some repetition.

The Empire Strikes Back was only (officially) a 2 x 400ft version where Pt.2 carried straight on from Pt.1. There is also a rarer 200ft version which comes with the soundtrack also on a cassette tape, but this is simply a shortened version of Pt.1.

Originally, Empire was to have been 3 x 400ft, but Ken felt that the super 8 market was collapsing, so when they cut Pt.2, they wrapped the story up. This is why Pt.1 seems quite well edited and paced, but Pt.2 seems a bit too condensed. I believe Pt.2 would originally have contained Han Solo being frozen. etc. Shame.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 15, 2006 02:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks folks,

This clear up everything.

It does make a sense now, why Marketing part 1 & 2 are nice to be interspliced with UFA, because the flow of the story is so smooth.

So...Rob, grab it one. It comes quite often at Ebay German or contact Andeas.

Regarding the Empire Strikes back, it is so pity not to be released on three parter (and it is my hope if...Return of the jedi is also available too...but... [Mad] VIDEO!!!)

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2006 05:05 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I sold few years ago my Star Wars (flat) version. This was the longest possible version: Marketing pt. 1 & 2 and UFA 400ft + ~10 minutes from a silent version with english subtitles. The first owner duped this part with german sound.
But I don´t understand why you don´t buy the full feature from derann? I like many abridged version from some movies but from Star Wars? and you must see this in scope.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 23, 2006 03:51 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer and other members...

Is the 200" reel Oemer has menditoned same like the one realesed by Ken?

Regarding Star Wars from Derann, of course I would like to have it but.... more money to be spent and my wife will get mad on me [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 23, 2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen, let's settle scores, here.
Rob did provide us with the best editing guide to cutting the longest and best Star Wars digest ever.

I have just checked the material and what you need is:

- KEN digest part 1 (400 ft)
- KEN 200 ft
- MARKETING part 1 (400 ft)
- MARKETING part 2 (200 ft)
- Either KEN part 2 or UFA (400 ft) as they are exactly the same

You really need these five reels, in hope you can find more recent prints for colour continuity. Putting together Marketing 1+2 and the UFA reel WILL NOT create the longest digest (once again, check out Rob's original post).

Some extra scenes and missing sequences are available on the two Marketing reels BUT, there are some scenes in Ken part 1 that are missing from the German version (such as the droids boarding the escape pod or Luke and Leia crossing the Death Star pit). The scene at Ben's house is the longest if you add the Ken 200ft extract to the Ken part 1 version. The shortest version is actually the one featured on the Marketing part 1 (400 ft).

I hope it's clear. Hats off to Rob, anyways, for his original editing job. Although I have all reels, I haven't started splicing the German clips into my 850 ft US version (Ken 1 & 2 + Ken 200 ft). Will do soon, hopefully.

As far as the full length version is concerned, I find the last 600 ft (containing the TIE fighters scene and the final battle) the most repeatable.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2006 04:15 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jean-Marc, you are absolutely right, you will need all five releases for the longest possible extract version.

This has been a great thread for me because it has cleared up that the Ken Pt.2 and the UFA are the same and also that all 'scope 400ft versions are the same too.

Oemer, I have an original print run of the Derann full-length 'scope / stereo version and it is fantastic. Sadly, I believe some later prints were not quite as good due to negative wear and Star Wars was finally withdrawn for this reason.

For me (like many of my generation I suppose) Star Wars is such an important film and I bought my Ken versions when I was just a kid, so they have special sentimental value for me as much as anything. I still find it amazing that I am watching the very same print I first saw some 26 years ago!

I was always fascinated by the Marketing versions and finally got hold of them last year thanks to our friend Andreas Eggeling.

I love those colourful Marketing boxes, so in the case of Star Wars, I really wanted to find copies in good quality cases.

These copies are in stunning condition boxes for their age, so despite my full-length version, the boxes are as much collector's items to me as the film inside.

I must get hold of a nice UFA box now [Smile]

Also, thanks again to Jean-Marc for his pictures of the Japanese super 8 release...now how can I find one of those [Roll Eyes]

PS. Just a funny aside, I remember that in 1997 when Star Wars was re-released in the cinema, Empire magazine ran a whole issue devoted to the history of the film. They had a section on "the worst Star Wars merchandise ever" or something like that.

As much as I dearly love super 8, one of the items listed was, "the the 7 minute, black & white, silent version of Star Wars".

This was followed by the simple comment, "...it kind of lost something..."

I had to laugh [Big Grin]

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2006 04:35 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(sorry my english is not very well)

Yeh, they are many Star Wars Fan´s here.
Here is a image from January 1980, you can see me with my silent Super 8 projector and all my films I had this time(Sorry pic is unsharp).
 - The Marketing Film part 2 in my left hand, was my treasur (I was a poor S8 fan). A friendly salesman in a photo shop runs my film on a sound projector while I recorded the sound on tape. It was bad because my silent projector runs only at 18 frames/sec. But some of you can to feel with me how happy I was.

And here is my collection today:

I have all 3 features on 16mm (original 20th. Cent Fox. prints) Star Wars in scope on Fuji stock (no faded yet), Empire strikes back unfortunately only a pan and scan print but on LPP stock and Return of the Jedi scope LPP.
 -
I sold years ago my Super 8 Derann prints of Star Wars and return of the Jedi but I´m not sure if it was a mistake, because now I don´t have more the Stereo sound but the image is much more sharp.
But I have still the original boxes from my Marketing (part 2) and UFA.
 -
 -
May the force be with you

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 25, 2006 12:40 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oemer, nice picture (I noted that we should have a thread where we post our old days and newdays with 8mm)

Rob, regarding the longest possible Star Wars on 8mm, if you read this post, probably we can have much longer version than you think (regardless the warning, shown on that thread concerning the print quality issue)

If our friends from Italy can clear this up.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 25, 2006 02:56 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, you still haven't told us what's on these six italian reels...
[Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2006 06:27 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes of course, Winbert, I forgot about those!

I would love to know exactly what is on these Italian versions.

Oemer, your picture reminds me of one I have when I was 11 years old, proudly holding my brand new 400ft copy of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

My first sound film was actually the first part of "The Empire Strikes Back" and, like yourself, at the time I only had a silent projector and could only imagine the soundtrack as I watched it over and over...happy days [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 25, 2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc and Rob, unfortunatelly I only got the pictures. So probably members from Itali who can clear this up.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC