8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Christmas!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Christmas!
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well with Christmas and New Year now well and truly over I hope many of you were lucky enough to receive at least a few super 8 related gifts!

I couldn't believe what Santa left under my tree and I think I must have been very good last year (just can't remember when [Wink] ).

Just have to share;

First up, a full length print of Hammer's "Curse of Frankenstein" which I had spied on the Bring and Buy stall at Derann's Blackpool convention last November. Even though I couldn't really afford it, I was still a bit upset when it was sold and vanished from the stall. Turns out Santa (with a bit of help from my extremely over generous family) had snapped it up and there it was under the tree on Christmas day. And what an absolutely cracking print it is too [Smile]

As if that wasn't enough, my long suffering better half had ordered me the opening 'scope extract from "The Living Daylights" courtesy of Classic Home Cinema. I had said I liked it when I saw it screened at Blackpool, but never dreamt it would turn up for Christmas. Again, what a cracker it is, with perfect picture and sound; what a great job Phil at Classic is doing.

And if that wasn't enough, next up the Matrix extract "Freeway Frenzy". I must say I haven't seen "The Matrix Reloaded" or intend too, but again, having seen this extract at Blackpool, I loved it as a stand alone supporting feature (and again, never dreamt it would turn up at Chrismas). This too is an absolute belter, with superb stereo sound and I think I have watched this the most!

Like I say, don't know what I've done to deserve all this, but just wanted to share [Smile]

What did Santa bring you?

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 11, 2006 04:44 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I wish Santa had visited me on the same trip! I have nothing (on Super 8) to report. [Frown]

"Matrix extract 'Freeway Frenzy'... I think I have watched this the most!"
How many times since Christmas? That must be a repeatable film! I haven't even run all the films I bought at Blackpool yet!

That 'Curse of Frankenstein' print is quite something. It has a shot of Frankenstein looking at an eyeball through a magnifying glass that is missing from most 35mm and 16mm prints and the DVD release. I never realised until a friend who knows the film inside out pointed this out to me! I must mention this to Derann as they might sell a few more if this was advertised!

[ January 11, 2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2006 06:06 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear this news from abroad. That there is a place to purchase films as Christmas gifts, and the little elves know where to go and find the best goods. [Big Grin]

Remind them where to find the very best that your projectors will bring to the mini cinemas and fine audiences that love film.

Tell them that: 'Motion Pictures are your BEST entertainment Value.' [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2006 10:52 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings to all!

My wife picked me up a much needed 106" pull-down movie screen. She purcased it from "Best Buy", wich is a popular electronics store in the U.S.

She could'nt fit it under the tree, so she hid it in the basement for two weeks. I was stepping over it all that time and didnt even know it!!!

Nick.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 10:43 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, since the big day "Frankenstein" has been shown 3 times, with the Matrix about 5 or 6 (so far!).

"Freeway Frenzy" certainly is frantic with absolutely non-stop action for the whole 20 minutes or so! Fantastic stuff (the sound makes the floor boards shake) and every time you watch it you see something new.

That is a great fact about the extra rarer shot in the 8mm prints of "Frankenstein" and as soon as you pointed it out I remember thinking when I was watching it that I didn't recall seeing it in the DVD version.

Isn't this classic shot of Peter Cushing with the big eye through the magnifying glass also the one that was spoofed in that Airplane type spy movie with Val Kilmer (what was that called?) where Peter Cushing moves the glass away from his face to reveal that he still actually has a huge eye!

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 03:37 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, the Val Kilmer film you mentioned was 'Top Secret'
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 13, 2006 06:26 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob - I think you're right about the spoof scene. I've only seen the trailer of Top Secret, but I remember that scene being in it. Interesting that they knew of the scene in CoF, considering how hard it is to see it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 05:18 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mal, it was driving me mad trying to think of that title!

Must see that film again as it is full of brilliant film spoofs.

Adrian, I think I may have a problem watching Frankenstein now and not laughing everytime I see that shot, imagining Peter Cushing with his huge eye [Smile]

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2006 08:50 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Santa left me the 200' MAN MADE MONSTER digest -- which is hard to find in the sound version.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC