8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FFTC- Barry Littlechild Article (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FFTC- Barry Littlechild Article
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 12, 2006 06:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian Winchester e-mailed me (thank's Adrian) the article in the current FFTC magazine, where Barry Littlechild takes me to task for my letter in the prior issue, where I stated that I found the Super 8 print of 'That's Entertainment 3' preferable to the DVD of the same film projected on my Panasonic AE700U projector. First let me state that I have great respect for Barry's opinion, as he is obviously an ardent and very experienced film collector, even using 35mm no less, so he obviously knows what he is talking about. My letter prompted Barry to go to a lot of trouble to do side-by-side tests between the super 8 print of TE3, the DVD projected on the Panny 700, and even a 35 mm TE3 print! [Eek!] So I have no reason to question his opinion that DVD won hands down, although how a DVD can be better than the original 35mm source material from which it was derived, is perhaps a little hard to explain. However Barry is obviously expressing his honest opinion, just as I was expressing mine. I think the explanation between Barry's opinion and mine, is a little more subjective. Barry ran a direct side-by-side test, and I think under such conditions the far greater brightness of the Panny 700 VP would overwhelm even the GS1200, and make the S8 print look dull and lifeless in comparison. I did not do that, I viewed the DVD on the Panny and then I viewed the S8 print on the GS. So viewed separately, as stand alone presentations, my preference went to the super 8 print, which I found to be a more enjoyable visual experience than watching the DVD. It should be noted that I had previously taken the trouble to re-record the S8 sound track into stereo from the DVD sound track, so this added tremendously to the visual and audio impact and overall enjoyment of the super 8 film presentation. No matter what Barry say's, it may in fact not be realistic to do direct side-by-side comparisons between digital video and film, because they each have distinct and unique visual characteristics, or put simply, it's like comparing apples to oranges. I think it comes down to what you find the most enjoyable, the S8 print to my mind is of superb quality, whereas I found the DVD quality disappointing. So when I want to watch TE3 out comes the GS1200- not the Panny. Maybe I just have to hear the sweet purr of the GS1200 in the background, who knows! [Wink]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 12, 2006 06:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with your comments Paul. I too read that article and was a little surprised. I can understand what hes saying when comparred direct to a super 8 print but not the 35mm.
The DVD can not possibly be better than the origination it was taken from and it would almost certainly be taken from a scanned 35mm print. Then it would be digitised, cleaned up etc and then a little edge enhancement added. Even the grain would be cleaned out. Its this type of thing which I dont like about DVD it starts to look clinical and unnatural and seems to loose all the fine gradation you expect from film.
When we get the next generation of High Def DVD then it will be a different matter i'm sure. Current DVD technology is still not capable of the line pair res that good quality low grain 35mm motion picture film is capable of.
Yes his Panny 700 is probably brighter and the image from the DVD will almost certainly be edge enhanced to give a better, exagerated sharpness. I think it's these things he is seeing and obviously prefers.
I have seen HD DVD on a 6ft wide Sony Plasma and that was awesome. It knocks current DVD technology for six and will certainly have that film look to it as it doesnt look artificial. That would be the point when I will probably agree with him [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 08:27 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps he just needs an eye test.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD masters are not taken from 35mm prints, but from interpositives
or even neg material. These can be further up the chain than
35 mm prints are. Projection prints fade and deterioate much like
any other film stocks. Doing like for like comparisions can be a whole can of worms and not simply a format test.

Stuart

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2006 07:05 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart you are right. I should have made that point clear. Yes generally Negs are or internegs are used for the best results. The point I was trying to make is that a good dvd made from High Quality origination will still be substandard due to the tech specs involved where present DVD technology is concerned however they can be made to look very good with the electronic/digital enhancements available.
For me film has to win.
I was reading a post on another forum by Chris Quinn where he talks about Panasonics "Smooth Screen Technology" which is used in their VP's. Sounds very good but then of course they will have to then add some form of digital enhancement to get a good sharpness level back. Now we dont have to do any of that with film, do we?

I think if we are going to carry on this discussions which is now going towards a DVD vs Film one then we should maybe start a fresh topic in the General Yak section.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 14, 2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose with DVD and film (only an opinion here) i tink all film collectors now need to take this topic a stage further.
DVD has most certainly come a long way in its 10 years, there is no doubt that the quality is very good, excellent even, however, i think trying to compare the two is now a subject that many will always agree to disagree.
As far as DVD is concerned, those collectors now want to start comparing disc with disc. i recently bought a film on Disc where the quality was no better than the video release, it didnt matter to me as i bought because it was the uncut version, (Henry portrait of a serial killer, nothing special so it didnt matter)
There are so many advantages and disadvantages of both formats that when it comes to the point where we no longer watch the movie for the film itself, but merely sit there spotting such minor detils such as ever so slightly better colour then or no grain i can only conclude that the film for entertainment no longer counts.
Are people seriously watching an expensive movie then running it again and making notes? [Confused] Why?
No one can ever argue about how cheap a movie is to purchase these days, with new formats around the corner will DVD be redundant (yet again) will we start buying all our new films simply to replace the DVD's we already have on the newer format, and so it goes on.

Up 4 super 8mm for a hobby, a quality hobby, and up DVD for its ability to allow us to collect films with unlimited titles and competitvness. [Wink]

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 12:16 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8mm 9.5mm 16mm 35mm DVD…… Who cares! As long as it’s BIG screen I’m happy. [Smile]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 14, 2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How right you are Craig, and most audiences could care less about the format of the presentation. As long as the film is a good one, that they can get into, it really makes no difference to them. Unfortunately we film collectors are doomed to be obsessed with picture quality and we are always trying to get the last ounce of picture quality out of the tiny little super 8 frame. This of course is one of the challenges of the hobby which makes it so interesting and rewarding. So when a terrfic super 8 print comes along, like 'That's Entertainment 3', it is great to see just how good super 8 can be. I can honestly say that some of my super 8 prints have a beauty of their own, which so far I have not seen on DVD. It's not a definition thing, which DVD will always win, it's something else, unique to film and to super 8, which is very hard to define.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 14, 2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's absolutely true that general audiences don't see these things the way we do. I went to a showing of Shrek 2 on at a local college. It was shown large screen using some kind of video projector. It was fuzzy, faded and smudgy looking, in a word: awful (Note: I'm not applying this to video projection in general, just this particular show). I commented on this to the others later on, and it was the consensus among them that it looked fine!

This has personal drawbacks as well. I'll be sitting in a local theater seeing a really good movie, and all of a sudden turn to my wife and say "look at the scratches!"

-she doesn't see the scratches, instead she just enjoys the movie!

[ January 14, 2006, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 06:49 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steve I agree, I have a full length print of Countess Dracula on S8 and it is a "Dupy" looking soft focus and washed out colour print. I am almost embaresed to show it, it's been requested and ran 3 times now for different audiances and they seem to think it looks fine! " Are you sure you all want to see this right through?" I asked after the first 20 mins or so during the last screening.
I've got some really top quality looking features. Even when synced up for full on surround sound Iv'e slowly had people slip out one after the other.
So piture quality, brightness, surruond sound doesn't seem to mean toffey, It's all down to the subject matter and perhaps the ambiance of an old reel of film with all of it's glorious imperfections.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind gentlemen when talking about print fade in 35mm that more often than not they are being abused big time by the light source-up to 6KW in some installations.When a print is broken down for despatch after screening,and then rejoined to its original leaders,the un-projected frame on the leaders left there for correct reel breakdown,are vivid in colour compared to the rest of the footage.
Negatives are not subject to this abuse and,given a print off a negative that is not subjected to all this,will look and last longer than a well run commercial print.There are too many variables to say which is better from the source material.
I endorse fully however that from a previous correspondent that as long as its on a big screen,the source is irrelevent.If the viewer thinks its good,then it is good-rather like a bottle of cheap wine and and an expensive one I suppose?

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 15, 2006 01:19 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my point, we should be watching the FILM. whatever format we seem to be more concerned about what format it is, Ther'l always be the sad bastards who must have the gadget of the day and DVD is full of gadgets to show it on. Whatever the format, as long as we are paying attention to the film and not the ity bity differences then who gives a monkee's. [Wink]

[ January 15, 2006, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 01:35 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HERE HERE!!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 05:33 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I understand the problems with That's Entertainment parts 1&2.

I have the DVD of That's Entertainment part 1, and at the conlusion of the Band Wagon (Dancing in the dark) park scene with Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse, they take a hansom cab ride. As the carraige pulls away, the camera recorded and area that would ordinarily be masked in a traditional movie palace.
The audience can see the top of the background set, and exposing the walls of the sound stage.

Similarly, when I went to see That's Entertainment part 2 in the theatres back in 1976, many movie houses at the time, were no longer designed with traditional curtains and masking. The Annie Get your Gun finale with Howard Keel, as they sing There's no business, like show Business.... exposes the top of the backdrop, and you can see the support of the backdrop and the desert mountain hills of the studio lot. When Films Inc. distributed this film for 16mm rental, it had the same inherent exposed problems that was found in 35mm.

It's interesting, that the studios have gone to great lengths to try to preserve the magic that these films as they were originally showcased, but don't realize that they are printing in many flaws that the audience should not see today.

That's less than Entertainment!

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi every one,

I'm a dvd fan for many reasons and not ashamed to admit it. A 35mm quality print shown on a quality projector will at this moment in time win hands down on any home cinema dvd projector, even the AE900. 16mm and 8mm is another thing, and it does come down to pure preference, it's a bit like listening to music on a 12 inch vinyl record, it sounds warmer if that makes sense, but there is a lot of crackling going on in the background.
Also the quality differences in dvd's is hugh, some of the transfers are diabolical and some are great, so there is still a lot of 8mm films that can win hands down on dvd.

I am just as i was with film when i look at dvd's, always looking for the flaw and missing out on watching the film, i have to ask myself what am i doing and try to get back into just enjoying the bloody film.

If Barry really thinks that a 35mm print cannot stand up to a dvd, then i would like to see it, i am not convinced, and as i said i am a dvd fan.

Chris. [Smile]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 16, 2006 02:11 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... is anyone still watching VHS tapes? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 16, 2006 06:17 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure!

As a matter of fact I installed a combination VHS/DVD player on our main TV yesterday to replace the VHS deck that died a few months back.

If we went entirely to DVD (I mean other than real film...), we'd lose a lot of program content we've been gathering for years.

Somehow I doubt there will be a "VHS Forum" here 10 years from now. It's just way too utilitarian!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 16, 2006 11:54 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree, (BTW, i to enjoy and collect DVDs) i also believe the same with DVD, its about to change again. When you look at history, electronic mediums seem to change about every 10 years.
I also belive that super 8mm will be around for many many years to come as steam trains are now.We probably wont get any more new releases but you just never know. They said feature were dead and then came Master and commander and the quality shut most people up. [Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 16, 2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly right Tom, Super 8 is the medium that refuses to die! [Wink]
I'm convinced that it will still be around when the current DVD's are as obsolete as the 8- track player. It seems that the electronics industries are onto a good thing (- for them !), changing the video format every five years or so, whereas good old S8 remains as an international film format standard after 40 years!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 16, 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
With DVD it does have to be said that it is an excellent quality product and of course film collectors now have something that can satisfy there viewing hunger with films so cheap its unreal. The 8mm scene will be around for as long as there are enthusiasts who wish to keep history alive and show all the future generations where it all started.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2006 11:44 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film collecting on real celluloid is a great hobby, made even more so by the vast amount of equipment still available, and the equipment is in my opinion the big attraction for many, along with the fiddle factor. DVD is for film buffs, not that there is not film buffs in the hobby, it is just the more i have talked and watched what film collectors do the more the feeling i get that a collector will pay a good price for a reel of celluloid as long as it is a VERY NICE PRINT, the content comes second.

I would say that dvd's have another 10 good years left, but when they are replaced it will be just another medium to hold the digital information. VHS and Laser discs were analogue, the digital age is here to stay, be it encoded, if that's the right word, on to a silver disc or a small plastic card.

Picture quality via high definition is going to give us a picture quality unprecedented in the home cinema set up. In a few years time the price will come down and everyone will have access to the new technology.
Celluloid will always attract people who want to collect, but will people want to buy expensive features that will not hold up to the digital counterpart?

We'll see.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 17, 2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good point Chris. I think print quality on super 8 is everything. I have super 8 prints of classic films which I will not show because I just do not find the print quality acceptable and I will not take the chance of an audience feeling the same way. On the other hand I have S8 prints which can only be described as superb (mainly Derann) and these obviously tend to get the most showing. Big screen means nothing if the picture is so bad that the audience is aware of it. Yes DVD quality varies a lot, but not like S8 where print quality varies from atrocious to excellent. I have yet to see a DVD which is unwatchable, but that is certainly not the case with S8.
I don't think any of us would want to go back to pre-DVD days, the benefits of DVD to the film collector have been enormous. At the same time let's recognize super 8 for what it is- a somewhat imperfect medium which is nevertheless capable of producing enormous enjoyment both to the film collector and his audiences.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 17, 2006 08:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of good points coming up here. Ultimately, Super 8 is a frame 5.2mm across, being blown up a crazy amount on your screen, while you listen to sound via one or two very thin strips of dried chemicals. There are no end of things which can cause the printing to be less than perfect, and even if the lab does a good job, poor recording, bad slitting or scratching might cause problems before you get to screen the film.

So with all these limitations and potental problems, part of the fun for me is that if you actually manage to screen a film that looks and sounds great, there's something miraculous about it! DVD can of course be immensely impressive, but I don't think it would offer me quite the same sense of achievement, even if I had the best possible equipment.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 02:34 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I think that is the best summary of the lot.

And Paul, I have a few DVD's that are atrocious quality but I suppose the majority of these came from the early days of the medium. Prior to this laser disc was the king and some of those could be downright awful too. I was video projecting before DVD even came about and although like most new interests there is a honeymoon period I soon became apathetic. Film projecting has stood the test of time and that is largely because of the reasons Adrian gave.

35mm has to be pretty bloody awful before anyone would find a DVD image more involving. I have seen some really bad prints in my time exarcebated by fading but anyone who claims that DVD is superior to 35mm is one reel short of a feature. I don't think that is what Barry was saying in his article, but it did read as though he was having a go at Paul for suggesting Super 8 can be excellent. I too have written things in the past and then read them back when the magazine has come out and thought "Oh my God! How did I manage to say that?". Sometimes things read back differently to what you intended.

Anyone who hasn't seen 35mm in the home and is intrigued can always contact me. To my mind as much as 35mm is unbelievably good nothing beats the amazement Super 8 provides. It's been a part of my life all of my life and that is another reason why I'm an enthusiast. It's still going against all the odds. And long may it continue.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 18, 2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with John and Adrian's comments. The big thing about super 8 is the tremendous sense of acheivment you get when you project a superb quality print onto that big screen in front of an audience and it looks and sounds just great. This does not happen by chance, it means cleaning and lubricating your films, keeping your projector meticulously clean and in top running condition, using the best lens you can get your hand on, re-recording the sound into stereo or sync-pulsing if you have to, and hooking it all up to a high quality sound system in front of a good screen with a nice wide black border. In other words it takes time and effort. But if you do all that you then transforms that tiny little super 8 frame and razor thin sound tracks into a true theatrical experience. My experience is similar to John's, I have had a superb DVD projector for over a year now and we all love it because it enables us to watch films we could not otherwise see. But this has in no way diminished the enjoyment of super 8, in fact it has probably increased my appreciation of my S8 equipment and collection, and I now spend more time on S8 things than ever.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC