8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WOW on sound recordings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WOW on sound recordings
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2006 10:01 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like help with this possible problem. In theory, this is a print problem and not projector trouble.

Last February I purchased a print of Terminator from 1984. The print was not in stock, so I had to wait for one to be struck. I was happy to receive a brand new print from Steve Osborne through Derann films.

Unfortunately, I did not play the print until last night. The sound is all there and is properly synced. But there is bad pitch throughout. Can this be easily fixed or does it have to be rerecorded. By this I mean can several coatings (there is atleast 1 already) of Filmguard improve the sound playback?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am predicting that I would keep the print as is, because of the cvost and time it would take to find someone to have it re dubbed. I have heard that some redubs don't always come out as good as the original dub made with Derann's equipment.

Chip G

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 04, 2006 10:14 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip,
How's the weather up in Cape Cod this morning! Usually re-dubbing produces a sound track quality far superior to to the original track recorded on the mag tracks. By re-recording you will get results indistinguishable from HI-FI sound. My guess is that if you re-record the bad section of your film, the rest of the film will sound so bad in comparison that you will want to re-record the whole film!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted February 04, 2006 11:47 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, this might be a projector problem after all. If the sound is wowing BUT it stays in sync with the picture (esp. during dialogue) instead of going in and out, then you know it's the projector and not the film (as the frames-per-second speed of the projected image will also go through a wow effect, even though it's not noticeable with the naked eye). I hope this makes sense...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 04, 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
No not really Jan [Frown]

I would however say that I agree with you about it being more projector related. The thing to remember is that these prints are recorded at high speed and not in real time so any slight wowo caused by the recording equipment would probably not be noticed at std playback speed or would at least be negligable.

The only other possibility is that the original the soundtrack was taken from also suffered from wow?

Has anyone else got a copy of this print so that they can confirm this might be the case.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello To All

The weather here on Cape Cod is clammy (get it?) and I can't wait to be in Florida for the month of April. Paul can you redub the print if I bring it down with me? The entire print suffers from WOW and maybe even alittle flutter.

I run with 2 machines via changeover. I can't possibly imagine that both machines would have the same mechanical problems. Not to mention the fact I have far many other prints that play just fine. I'm convinced this is a print problem with sound.

Kev - Bob Pucci has a print of Terminator. He's close to me maybe he could check it. Now his print has the grey stripe laminate and mine has the traditional brown stripe, I wonder if that might have something to do with this.

CG

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted February 04, 2006 11:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

don't worry about following the post I made - having re-read it I'm not sure I'm even making sense to myself anymore. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 05, 2006 06:04 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, is your print on Agfa or Kodak stock? Derann ahve only been putting the grey stripe on the newer Kodak stock and the Brown on the Agfa. I thought your's was a fairly new print?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 05, 2006 07:33 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Have 'The Terminator' and I've seen another print and neither have wow on the sound.

If it was the projector, presumably the same problem would apply to other prints. I've had the occasional print with wow that I've changed for another that's OK, so it can happen, although I find with Derann sound faults that it's generally sound that's muffled or out of sync.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Kev it was a brand new struck print as of one year ago. At this point it's only been run twice. I have just moments ago applied a second lubrication of film guard. Hopefully this will help how it runs mechanically through the machines. Even though it obviously can't do anything else to the original dub. Hopefully it will help. Will screen it againt in a few days when time allows.

Thanks to all for your replies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC