8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fabulous Pathe Site

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fabulous Pathe Site
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 28, 2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just stumbled on this fabulous Pathe web site! It includes lots of pictures of wonderful 9.5mm, 17.5mm, and 28mm equipment, and the most lengthy and detailed history of Pathe home cinema that I have ever read. It even tells DVD people to go away!

http://www.cinerdistan.co.uk/

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2006 12:44 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice find Paul, This museum is no more than 35 miles from where I live. Looks like a nice day trip for me & Mr Quinn.

I have my eye on a nice Pathe Kid in full working condition, original wooden box & 27 films.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2006 06:39 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy,am I indebted to you for finding this site Paul! Wonderful stuff eh? I've been cheeky enough to ask if we could have all the pics as thumbnails-so I can enlarge then hone in on each particular machine. I wanted to visit the museum but it was closed, [Frown] Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 01, 2006 03:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Trev,
Yes there's some great equipment on this site. Just exactly what is it that makes Pathe equipment so fascinating? Maybe it's their quirky projector design's, they always seemed to design things the hard way instead of taking a sensible straightforward , tried and tested, approach. Its almost like their designers went out of their way to be different. I think the comments on this site, comparing the design of the Pathescope GEM to the Eumig P8 are very illuminating. There was just no comparison in the Engineering expertise and production quality control of these two companies. Pathe seemed to make everything out of sheet metal when just about everyone else was using precision aluminum die castings and plastic mouldings. But this is what makes Pathe equipment so intriguing (and frustrating!).

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,I find the Pathe/Pathescope machines very labour intensive.A bit like having to double-declutch every gear when you are driving(and no power steering of course!)Or owning a prewar MG that you must get out and get under after every drive in the country.
By and large,these nine-fivers are, noisy,illumination is inferior,threading is fiddly and if you have sound,you must tweak the exciter lamp control all the time! No time for the projectionist to watch the flick! It all adds up to,"the joys of mechanical film projection"!
When you watch a demo of a 17.5mm or 28mm machine-you applaud and silently marvel at the fact the things cast a flickery yellow picture on a screen.
There is just something so primitive about most Pathe/Pathescope equipment,I reckon.Trev [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 05, 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Trev,
I can appreciate that Pathescope were trying to produce relatively economical movie equipment for the mass market, but what is frustrating is the obvious elementary engineering mistakes that they made. A classic example to me, is the little brake arm on the ACE. A schoolboy could look at this and know right away that the sharp edge of this metal arm is going to scratch every frame of film that goes through the machine (which of course is exactly what it does). Pathescope must have known this, yet for the thirty or so years that the ACE was in production (and probably their biggest money maker)they did nothing to correct it. Same thing with the PAT camera. I bought one of these and every charger of film jammed up in it, and it came with a lens like a marble! Did they never test any of their equipment? The one truly great projector design they had was the 200B, but they never stuck with it or advanced on it. I never had a GEM or SON but have read poor reviews on these machines. You have to say that this shoddy equipment design must have lost Pathescope a whole lot of customers to 8mm - like me! I remember the first time I saw 8mm Kodachrome on a Specto 500 projector- the quality literally blew me away, far superior to my black and white 9.5mm efforts with the PAT camera.
But I'm not here to knock 9.5mm - I still love the guage and the finnicky equipment, perhaps more than ever! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,I reckon Pathescope prospered whilst we,in the"British Empire", harboured the notion that "Buy British" was a noble and patriotic thing to do!The arrival of Jap made photographic goods sounded the death knell for firms like,Wray,Reid and Pathescope. The Germans were not to happy about the array of Japanese goods either,I recall our local Leica distributor publically labelling Canon cameras as junk! In no time the attraction of 8mm colour film and a great variety of cameras and projectors became irresistable.Farewell centresprocket eh! [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC