8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Here's A Real Film Package!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here's A Real Film Package!
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 30, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something you don't see often. Eleven L&H features on one auction. The seller says they're in very good condition too. Any guesses as to the final bid price? [Confused]

Wouldn't you love to run accross a package like this at an estate sale for a couple of bucks or quid(squid for Kev). [Big Grin]

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAUREL-HARDY-11-Features-Super-8-B-W-SOUND-GREAT_W0QQitemZ9102166268QQcategoryZ63821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted April 30, 2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Impressive!!

Even so, all I want is Our Wife!!! [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 01, 2006 05:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Kev [Wink]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2006 09:57 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am not mistaken, there is an error in this auction listing.

Shouldn't it be SAPS AT SEA? Unless maybe that one was something done by Moe, Curly and Larry. Which I must now ask, who is selling these movies? [Big Grin]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 01, 2006 10:12 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've always said Kev is a man of words! Maybe kev was feeling squidish about posting. [Big Grin]

Chip, I'm not sure who aalzar0 is. Somewhere in the deep dark cobwebbed recesses of my mind I've heard the name, but I can't recall.

Spa At Sea does sound appropriate though! Shuffle board, Sauna, Jacuzzi and all that. [Cool]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 01, 2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought a number of films from this Kansas City eBayer and each one arrived in very good condition. I can't however vouch for his spelling. Look at the picture.....the film's label really says "Spa At Sea"! [Smile]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 02, 2006 02:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have ever bought from this seller too (aalzar0) and everything is received nicely packed. So he is a trusty seller. If not mistaken he is related (or brother) to another 8mm seller by the name "nasour".

The two seller are focusing in 8mm (beside also Persian Carpets) but I don't think they are collectors like us. The two regularly list 8mm films through Ebay.

I think, they got the items from outside (judging from the description which they don't know exactly the collectors terms). But they can easily check the film and send us the screen shot if we ask.

Members from US, can you tell me if stil easy to get 8mm from open source like those two have?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 02, 2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like someone is going to receive a fine condition film pack from a great seller. Wish it was me. [Frown]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 02, 2006 11:30 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't it be you, Dan?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 02, 2006 11:45 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, good question! Because I don't have a thousand dollars to spend at the moment? [Frown] Hey! Maybe we could work out a deal. [Cool] If you could bit the thou, I would be glad to keep them in a safe place for you. [Big Grin]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He should be selling these separately -- I think he would get more that way. For example, SWISS MISS is one of the harder-to-get titles in Super 8, and I'm sure many L&H collectors would need that one to complete a collection. But would they buy the whole lot? On the other hand, I'm tempted to buy, even though I have all these titles, just to sell separately and maybe make a profit. Tops I would pay is $600. Any more and I would probably break even at best in a resale. About 10 years ago, you couldn't get any L&H feature for under $100 -- I paid a whopping $125 for WAY OUT WEST. Now I see them going for $50 - $60. PACK UP and SWISS MISS probably still goes for around $100 now, and maybe PARDON US, but not the rest.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching this thread with interest;I've got almost all
those titles in full length-although quality is another story!- but does anyone know whether the L&H 'Utopia' was ever released on Super 8? Think the alternative title was 'Atoll K'. That must be a quite hard to find one I guess-if, of course, it was released at all!

--------------------
Yannis

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 06, 2006 08:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised. It when for less than $45.00 per feature. What a deal. Anyone on here the buyer? [Confused]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis,

Welcome to the Forum. [Smile]

'Atoll K, - Utopia' was available in Super 8.

I never purchased it, but believe that it was released
by Thunderbird, or Morecraft Pictures.

I do remember seeing it on Morecrafts List.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2006 07:16 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
actually I've been in the Forum for 9 months,but never mind, a warm welcome is always appreciated! [Smile]
Thanks for the info-I wouldn't be surprised for Thunderbird, but Morecraft? To be honest I haven't heard about it or seen any films released by it if memory helps-at least not in Europe. Is there any website with more info on that firm,or am I asking for too much??

--------------------
Yannis

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2006 01:10 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis,

From what I had been told, the man that handled
Thunderbird's Lab work was: Morgan.

Morgan later ran Morecraft Films (was located in California),
and the Morecraft Library which I believe was once
the Thunderbird Library is closed.

I had heard that all of the negs had
gone to a facility, but nothing has been handled with
those negs. The library storage facility is dormant.

I once had a Super 8mm sound advert reel
made by Morecraft and it was titled Announcements #3.
It was great lab work, from a beautiful neg.
If I had the forseeability at the time, I would have ordered
an additional copy in 16mm, to run with my 16mm programs.

If this helps I have recently seen 16mm prints
of Utopia for sale on ebay.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2006 05:31 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Michael,
hope I'll come across some of those prints some time!

--------------------
Yannis

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis,

4x400'-editions of "Atoll K/Utopia" were released by Thunderbird and Niles. It seems that there was also an Italian release (3x600') by GAF Films. In Germany, UFA-ATB issued a two-parter (2x400') called "Dick und Doof erben eine Insel" which I have in my own collection.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2006 05:08 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard,
thanks for the info-don't think it can get more illuminating about the L&H film! Slightly changing the subject,as you mentioned UFA/ATB, I think they released some good range of UFA full features from the classic expressionism years of the German cinema of the '20s and early 30s, no? Is there a website where I can find info on that?I'm very much into German cinema, especially of that time!

Thanks

--------------------
Yannis

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2006 04:09 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yanis,

although it uses the same logo, I don't think the super 8 company UFA-ATB (which belonged to Lothar Büscher) really had to do with the popular German UFA studios. In fact, UFA-ATB released just a couple of German classics from the 1930's and 1940's in two- or three-part editions (2x400'/3x400') like "Rosen in Tirol", "Sergeant Berry" or "Zu neuen Ufern" as well as one full feature, "Die Feuerzangenbowle", but there was nothing expressionistic in their catalogues. Expressionistic films like "Das Cabinett des Dr. Caligari" and "Nosferatu" were released by Piccolo Film in Munich, as were other German silent classics from the 1920's like "Metropolis", "Die Nibelungen" and "Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler" in full-length and in 400'-digests.
The only website I know about UFA-ATB is http://www.super-8-hobby.de/k-ufa.htm - I hope you speak a little German. If you are looking for a special title: There is a great database on the web which you can search for (nearly) all super-8 releases issued by German companies: http://www.super8online.de/suchen.phphttp://www.super8online.de/suchen.php
You can search for titles, releasing companies or order numbers.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2006 05:14 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard,
it's great-thanks a lot for that,I was browsing through it for almost one hour! It's as detailed a site as I could find in the Internet on German home movie production, being the UFA fan that I am. Recommended!

Vielen Dank!

--------------------
Yannis

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were talking about Laurel and Hardy's last feature UTOPIA/ATOLL K some time ago. Now, a 4x400' Niles print is on Paul Foster's website: http://www.fosterfilms.co.uk/8mmfeatures.htm.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC