8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who has a projection room? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who has a projection room?
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for all the nice comments, it took a long time to put together but well worth the effort in the end as it's a well used room.

Projector is sitting on a 10 Band Graphic Equillizer, which goes to the 7.1 Sony Amp., underneath is a Toshiba DVD Player. I,ve got a 6 speaker set up, no sub yet or a proper centre speaker. I switch the amp to 2 channel through the 2 big speakers ( that I drag out for shows) for single track and old cut down films. For the newer stuff that I have been able to re-record I get very good separation through the six speakers. Also there is a small 4inch T.V. that is connected to the DVD that I can pull out to run in sync via Pedro's sync box.
Screen is just under 10ft in scope and is only a painted wall. I used vinyl matt emulsion. Curtains are motorised with the switches, and dimmer light switch built in under the projector.
I've got a standard halogen GS with a 2 bladed shutter, have thought about a Xenon or HTI conversion but I am unsure wether the extra noise would be an issue.

|  IP: Logged

Chester Brooks
Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Chester Brooks   Email Chester Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small black hole to watch movies in at the moment. It is really nothing more than a projector, wall and speakers. I have a bigger garage that i want to convert at some time. At present all types of crates & boxes camping tents an old motorcycle reside there plus a stray cat.

I was planning to shoot the cat but maybe I might keep it like a mascot if it behaves [Mad]

If not I can always have taken to the taxidermist. Who needs Leo the Lion. Great taliking point for Halloween Shows Ho Ho

Chester

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 29, 2006 08:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally took some photos of my home theater room and here's a web page to view them at:

http://home.neo.rr.com/taesite/cinema.html

The page doesn't actually exist yet, I'm going to create it right after writing this post - so if it comes up "not found" please try again within 1/2 to 1 hour. (allowing me time to write up some brief descriptions for each picture) [Big Grin]

EDIT: Page is now online [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 09:16 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's real nice Jan. I recall when I first started, everything I had was out in an open room, not enclosed. I had it that way for a very long time. So you have to start somewhere, and Jan's on the right track (no pun intended).

CG

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 30, 2006 09:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, my set up isn't really far from yours (except that I have a VP instead of a TV).
Mark: wow!!!! The detail that's really killing me is the rewinds integrated into the shelf...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow is right. You guys are killing me too! Such lovely set-ups that I can't even hope to emulate because my little shoebox of a house doesn't even have a basement! Crap. I mean: Inspiring!

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
well jan,what you got is smashing.well done.i wish i had one.andy.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 30, 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan
Great room! It's good to have somewhere to leave the projectors set up,looking at it I can visualize a screen with curtains and coloured lights, in the future do you think you will head down that path.Jan have you seen the Armchair Odeon tapes, if you get a chance they are well worth it,its great to see what you are doing and hope you will post more photos as time goes by,all the best [Smile]
Graham

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 30, 2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham & everybody else [Cool] ... yes, I can definitely see curtains and fancy wall lights in there, dimmable lights of course [Smile] As for those Armchair Odeon tapes, not sure what you mean? Are they videotapes? Would like to get more information please [Smile]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 31, 2006 02:47 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan
Keith Wilton made a series of video tapes called Armchair Odeons a few years ago, they were well made and very interesting regarding home cinemas,I'm not sure of there availability you will have to contact Gary at Derann.
Regards Graham.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 01, 2006 09:10 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose these videos are in PAL format... dangit, why couldn't there have been just one worldwide TV standard. It worked for films and audio cassettes and CDs, so what gives [Roll Eyes]
But I suppose I'll one day need a multiformat VCR anyway, as I have several PAL tapes of my own (brought with me from Germany of course).

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC