8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 bashing (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8 bashing
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 29, 2006 10:59 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,
In the UK, the anti-film attitude certainly extends beyond any forums, but maybe we're more prone to come across it due to the dealers and events here. If US collectors could persuade one of the US Super 8 distributors to go back into business, you might see the same phenomena!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2006 03:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film collecting is a hobby. Video projection is a pastime.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 31, 2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all the comments concerning this subject. Take, for instance, that I just won a print of "Sons of the Desert" (for 26.00 american dollars ... WOW!) Now, I already have it on DVD, (and that copy is a mariginal 16mm in quality), but I still wanted to get it on film as there is nothing like not only watching that flickering image, but also just seeing the grain, and really feeling like your in that movie theater, way back in 1933, popcorn included.

I honestly have to say that, even with my projection TV, I have never felt that with video, and i believe that those who bash super 8 or film in general, who used to collect film, will realize this over time.

I know this for a fact, for I did this very thing way back in 1989. I stupidly got rid of a beautiful large collection of super 8. Two years ago I got back into, and have loved it intensely. Perhapss it's because as I get older, (now 40) I cherish the wonder and nolstalgia of it all!

Ahhhh, film!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 31, 2006 12:26 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this perspective. Film is usually expensive. DVD comparatively is cheap, except for the DVD projector which is a one time buy. Therefore, those with spouses that might complain about the cost of a film hobby would not complain about the cost of a DVD. Also, one's means or priorities may not allow for the purchase of films.

I have wanted to get into buying films and having a home film theatre since the 1970's, but have only been able to afford it for the last 5 years. [Smile]

Also, there are more recent titles available on DVD, but I don't consider recent titles(last 10 years) classic collectables. [Cool]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2006 02:57 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can only add this one thing. My little daughter, almost six years old, has a dvd player and a video tape player and loves them, but she asked me the other night after we watched a cartoon on film in the screening room if she could have a little toy projector like I had when I was a kid. She keeps mentioning it all the time now. I said well, they only show silent movies and she said she didn't care. "it would be really cool". She meant it and is very excited. I'm afraid even Ebay will not yeild a working hand cranked Brumberger 8mm projector , but I'll try to get her a cheap projector of some sort and some films of her own. Some day, I guess she'll have my 8mm and 16mm films and equipment one day. So even with video and all, there still seems to be a fascination with the workings of the film projector, even to a five year old who has known dvd's , etc. all her life. Also at the recent Cinevent in Columbus, Ohio, USA, I noticed several young teens and young adults buying super 8 films...especially the silents. Novices struck by the fascination of the hobby.

Tim Halloran
Junior

- posted June 01, 2006 02:17 AM      Profile for Tim Halloran   Email Tim Halloran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Italian toy projectors. Read about them here:

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/10/the_muplet_supe.html

Links on where to by them at Retro in Japan and Polariot in Germany.

Tim

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 06:15 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats cool! I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

Nick.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a child, i had a toy projector ("Dux Kino") which was driven by a a hand crank and fed with 8mm loop cartridges. The next step was a cheap Chinon projector and S8 Camera, allowing to produce my own home movies.

After Super8 seemed to disappear from the consumer market, my S8 activities stopped for about 20 years. Then "accidentally", last year I got a Derann print of "The Time Machine". I was fascinated by the quality of that print and decided to go for a better projector and more full length features.

Since then, I've spent a lot of time to my new hobby and now have a couple of projectors and a small film collection. Many people can't understand why to spend hours to get a 25 year old machine working again, but after a S8 movie show, most of them can't believe what the small film is able to do.

I can't understand any "anti film attitude" and I hope that companies like Derann, Wittner etc. will continue supporting 8mm film enthusiasts in the future.

Jörg

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC