8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 bashing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8 bashing
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 27, 2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It currently seems fashionable for some film collectors who have sold out all their films and film equipment in order to jump into the digital waters, to then turn around and bash the format that gave them so much pleasure for many years. I simply do not understand this perspective. No one can argue that home digital video projection is a wonderful thing, offering movie lovers and collectors an abundance of DVD's to be enjoyed in pristine picture quality on a big screen. That is not even an issue any more, as I think most reasonable 8mm and 16mm film collectors would agree. The issue is, why then is S8 such an object of sniping and derision among some of the VP 'graduates'. Is it because, having now disposed of their previously prized projectors and films, they now subconciously regret it? Can they just not face the fact that they really miss those wonderful machines, which in comparison to the faceless plastic video projectors, look like glorious works of artistic design. Do they miss having to spend time cleaning their projectors and films, and making the significant effort required to put on a good S8 show? Because, lets face it,that is what is required if you are running super 8. A good S8 show requires effort and committment, it does not happen by chance. Super 8 was never designed for the things that collectors now demand of it. When John and Keith show S8 on a 25 ft screen at the BFCC, with stereo sound, they are pushing the little film way beyond what Kodak ever envisaged. Which is exactly why S8 is such fun. If you are not into apertures, lamp wattages, gate designs, sound heads, you will not be able to get out of S8 all that it can offer, and your presentations will be mediocre at best. But, pull it all together, with a great projector, a great lens, a belting sound system, and a great Derann print, and I challenge any of the S8 'downers' ,who have their heads buried in the digital sand, to critique the superb 'reel' results.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 27, 2006 10:47 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*applause*

Well put, Paul, couldn't agree more. Anyone who's been following my mad-doctor escapades will know how much I enjoy tinkering with my machines indeed - and building my dream home cinema bit by bit has been a highly rewarding experience thus far. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 27, 2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I think you are spot on. You have hit the nail right on the head.....superb summary of exactly my own thoughts.

All forms of Projection have their place and I for one will not knock VP/DVD etc as it has opened up aa huge vault of entertainment in good clear quality which we have not been able to enjoy with super8 but at the same time there is something to be said about all the other things that go with a presentation made using film.

Really this all ties up with the post that Adrian from Derann started and I'm sure is at the route of that problem.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 27, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope so, Kevin. Being in the U.S. (and having limited income) I don't know if I'll ever make it to a future BFCC, but I love visiting this forum... the enthusiasm shared by its members is downright infectious and I enjoy taking part in it. That's why I have as much interest as any of you to see the source of those rumors tracked down and, uh, eliminated. [Cool]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Paul.

It is terribly sad to hear that some people who were once into super 8 and have now moved to digital would be derogative about this spendid format of ours.

I know from the posts here on this forum that some people seem to have started nasty rumours about conventions being cancelled, but I wasn't aware of anything other than that [Confused] .

As you know from my posts in the General Yak section regarding video projectors, I am myself very interested in this area of projection, but I would never dream of "knocking" super 8; I practically live and breath it (much to the infuriation of my better half) and you are so right about the enjoyment to be derived from the sheer involvment with "real" film.

Live and let live, I say.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

It is a real pitty that some people like to spread false rumors. Its a fact that some people feed off of 'negativity', no matter what the subject matter is, and so, enjoy creating and spreading negative rumors and such. It sounds like a personal problem, and something that they will have to eventually deal with within themselves.

Whatever the case, I think we may be over-reacting just a little bit. It is very obvious from this thread, and numerous other threads prior to this whole thing, that these petty rumors about event cancellations, or low sales, or whatever, are not going to have one bit of negative effect on this hobby. In fact, sometimes negative publicity can actually be a good thing. It's getting people's attention and putting a spotlight on the hobby (even if it's intended to be negative).

Anyhow, whether the culprit is found or not, I would'nt give it too much thought. The SUPER-8 hobby is here to stay!!!

Thats all I have to say about this matter.

Nick.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2006 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what everybody else stated...NOTHING could ever sway me from loving my film hobby. As Rob said "I practically live & breathe it". And, as Paul says about film projection and VPs "The Best of Both Worlds" [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
please excuse the double post...tossed a few back early today [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 12:13 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.. I love my Plasma..(well I dont really LOVE it..its nice) and I know I will enjoy a video projector when I get it, but I will always LOVE film. I always have even when I was a lad. I remember my brother would ooh and ahhh over videotapes but I would ooh and ahh over my list of newly released digests and full length super 8 films. Sitting on my bed wondering how I was going to make $400 to get the Scope version of Star Wars in Full Length/Stereo. And then wondering when I would make enough to dump the Chinon projector that ate my first Super 8 400ft digest of "Enter the Dragon". And then washing dishes till I bought a GS-1200 for $400 because the owner was "Switching" to Video! [Smile]
I'll always love this hobby. Even when all I have is a pink copy of "The Muppet Movie" in a 400ft digest! **sniff**

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo Paul, nothing to add, simply Bravo!
Rob

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 03:14 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, that is bang on and i reckon you could use your post in its exact wording for "Projection" magazine as that appears to be where much of the bashing comes from. Though i to be fair it also does have replies from the likes of myself and Adrian etc so they do allow the cine colllector to respond, But that was very well written. Good shout mate. [Wink]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 03:27 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
paul,youre right the money with this one.i think the people who bash super8 ie home cinema mags;have forgotton how much pleasure super8 still gives people like us.andy.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 04:25 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a question for all those collectors who have/are going over to VP 'where are all your prints for sale?'

A glance at the majority of dealers secondhand lists and ebay says you're all sitting on your 'best' titles in your collections 'just in case'!! [Big Grin]

Yeah, I've got VP (all digital HDMI of it) but I still wouldn't be without the magic created by mechanical projection once in a while [Razz]

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 05:51 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I can remember that the same happened twenty years ago when "everyone" was throwing away their LPs, ... in favour of CDs. Now that several shops stock "vinyl" again, several former "LP-haters" suddenly bought new record players and are bashing CDs since they've now got LPs, SACDs and Audio-DVDs.

Hence it looks like this "reaction" is human.

Jörg

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 08:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky thats a good point....where have all those prints gone if so many people have left the hobby like some suggest? Having said that we know where some of the are dont we [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings.
HENDRIE WEISINGER, The Power of Positive Criticism

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 04:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about this topic a lot, partly because I wrote an article for 'Projections' which expressed some opinions, and I'm supposed to be doing one for FFTC that will be in the same vein. I completely agree with Paul with regard to the subconscious factors that might apply in some cases. I suspect some people feel they have moved on to something vastly superior, but they have still left behind something which may have brought them great pleasure for many years, and felt some attachment to. They think that any sane person would do the same thing. The only trouble is that the sort of upstarts using this board, even if they enjoy using VPs, insist on being provocative by contining to use Super 8 and getting the same amount of pleasure out of it. This could be quite challenging from a VP fanatic's point of view, particularly if they have sold a lot of good equipment, and films that may not be available on DVD, and perhaps deep down they wonder if they have been too extreme in not taking the 'best of both worlds' approach. However, most will think it's too late to embrace film again, so their energies go into trying to stop the provocation that us film users insist on inficting upon them. This can be in the form of ridicule and/or attempts to encourage us to witness 'proof' of how superior VPs are. Unfortunately, they fail to realise the the pleasure that film collectors get cannot simply be measured in terms of technical factors such as picture sharpness and sound quality, so although we appreciate what VPs have to offer, it doesn't diminish the fun we get from using film. Conventions can add further provocation, as the fanatics feel these should also have 'moved on' and become VP orientated, so that they can continue to enjoy events in the company of like-minded people. Ultimately, in extreme cases such as perhaps the mystery rumour-circulating person(s), the attitude becomes: 'If you can't beat them, destroy them'.

I must add though, that although the more fanatical VP fans that appear anti-film make considerable waves, their impact is probably out of proportion to their numbers. I'd have trouble thinking of more than 6 or 7 people in this category. I'm certainly not opposed to VP enthusiasts promoting their qualities and supporting initiatives such as the VP presentations at Blackpool - I'm only thinking of people who insist on being unpleasant and sarcastic.

Andrew: do you actually see home cinema magazines knocking Super 8 nowadays? If so, it's flattering that they think Super 8 is even worthy of mention!

[ May 29, 2006, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well to insert a little positive news, the current issue of 'Big Reel' here in the USA has a very nice prominent, and fairly lenghty, article on the history and current status of super 8mm film collecting. Obviously written by a 'reel' film collector, it has a very complimentary tone to the whole field of S8 film collecting (actually it was part 2 of a series on s8 collecting, unfortunately I did not get the issue with part 1 in it). There are still plenty of film collectors out there, and I suspect that the number who post on this forum (550)are just a small fraction.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2006 09:41 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a fair assertion to make. I suspect that there are a lot of dedicated film collectors who do not have a computer with Internet access or even the knowledge needed to use one and post on this forum. The 550 of us are one close-knit bunch but I for one like to think that super-8 is much bigger than this yet. [Smile]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 11:42 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well stated by everyone here on this thread. [Smile]

I suppose the opposition is from those that
are either intoxicated with the 'rush' of new
equipment.

Or,

They are just mentally oppositional.

I suspect, that they have
oppositional personalities, and
they will be oppositional with everthing
and everyone.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 29, 2006 12:48 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever heard the word "oppositional" before. Let alone 3x in one post. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2006 09:41 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Lol [Big Grin] I can't begin to imagine what you're implying [Wink]

Rick

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 29, 2006 09:54 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

It is in the dictionary!:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oppositional

Good enough for Scrabble at the very least!

With modern society it's always the newest and the shiniest, and whatever was new and shiny six months ago (and more) is automatically no good. This keeps the New and Shiny factories, the credit card companies and ultimately the trash haulers and landfills busy.

It's not very fullfilling to the consumer either, because whatever short moment of joy they get when they pop their new widget out of the packaging, they will certainly get to feel dissatisfied with it when the New and Improved shows up two weeks from now.

Yet at least they get the satisaction of looking down on the few that are still enjoying what they have themselves discarded.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 29, 2006 10:08 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before and I'll say it again- state-of-the-arts has nothing to do with collectibles. [Roll Eyes]

The only place I've seen anti-film talk is on that other forum. [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 29, 2006 10:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True,

But fans of any technology have to go through a time when the stuff they like is just "obsolete" and not yet "cool"!

Having a Victrola after tube phonographs came out was probably not very fashionable, but now it's a great hobby!

Driving a '57 Chevy in 1966 was just running around in an old car!

We're just not there yet!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC