8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Derann is asking...What would you like to see in 8mm?
John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2006 06:53 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are already prints of "Them!" on 8mm, I believe they come from Germany, contact CHC, I believe they can still get them new, I had a copy a few years back, excellent quality too!
Make me a sargeant and give me the booze....thanks Barry.

Was your print of Them from CHC in english? The CHC website doesn't list any film stock at all.

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 12:52 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, would love to acquire either a 16mm or 8mm print of "Scrooge" with Albert Finney or the George C. Scott version which I believe ran theatrical in Europe.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 02:24 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Yes my print was in English, but I actually bought it via Derann, who I believe at the time did some swapping of features with the German printer, but I believe CHC can still get it, but it may have to be ordered special, but as mine came with an English track, I would imagine it can be ordered that way!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 04:15 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 'Scope extract from the Albert Finney version of 'Scrooge' was put out by Derann a few years ago. One of the musical numbers I believe.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 04:32 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd welcome more extracts - I particularly liked the first one from 'Gladiator' - but the occasional feature too.

As a collector of Hammer films, there are some classics I'd love to see on Super 8, including 'The Devil Rides Out' full length (longest version was 4 x 400') and Hammer's 'The Phantom of the Opera' (only released in b/w). I'd also welcome 'Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed' or 'Taste the blood of Dracula' in their uncut UK versions.

For something different, how about 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show'. I once mentioned it years ago at a Derann Open Day when Derek was inviting suggestions. He said that he had assumed that it was not the sort of film that collectors would go for, but it has such a cult following that I think it could sell well. Some Rocky fans would probably buy a projector in order to screen it! At the Open Day, two or three others also expressed interest and I think Derek said he would mention it to 20th Century Fox, but I don't know if he ever did.

[ June 08, 2006, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 08, 2006 06:08 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rocky Horror Picture Show... what an idea. That's a good movie, very funny at times and the music is great too. I'm just not too sure about the repeatability of this feature. [Eek!]

For yet another classic suggestion, how about The 7 Faces of Dr. Lao? God, would I ever love to see that one. (on the big screen that is) [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 06:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
We seem to be coming up with some very obscure titles now.

We must not forget that Derann are going to want to sell maybe arround at least 20 copies to break even.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 07:45 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to stake my reputation (not that I'm claiming to have one) and cash (at least for one print) that Derann would sell more than 20 copies of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show'. Anyone else willing to join me? After all, 'Grease' was released due to public demand, and at least some of the people that bought it would probably go for 'Rocky', and others besides. I recall the 400' version going for quite high amounts on eBay. Also, Fox might have a perfect master available, in view of the DVD release.

Jan - personally, I think it scores well on repeatability, just ask the US fans who go and see it every weekend! We could all be invigorated by viewing classic songs like 'Sweet Transvestite' now and again, not to mention doing the 'Time Warp' in our home cinemas! And imagine the fun of inviting round suitably dressed people to see it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 09:28 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jan - - - how about a copy of Message from Space full length in English sound? LOL

Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 09:46 AM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have mentioned to Ged some of the more popular titles that have been put forward.

As Barry said very early on in this thread, it all depends on what 35mm master material we can get hold of, but just to let you know, that Derann do intend to release further product on 8mm.

Kind regards

Adrian

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rocky Horror Picture Show????

I would buy also one print .....

rent this title on 16mm from Fox last January
They have to sent three prints till I got a scratch free print for the audience.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 10:10 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I've just scrubbed out this post... I've just seen what Adrian is getting at so ignore me!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 11:54 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films I would like to have on Super8 in full length:
La Sirène Rouge
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
Am zin
Mou gaan dou
Mou gaan dou II
Siu lam juk kau
Kung fu
Lola rennt
Der bewegte Mann
Bang Boom Bang - Ein todsicheres Ding
Happy Weekend
Musa
The Fifth Element
Taxi
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
Léon
Nikita
Le pacte des loups
Heat
The Matrix
Inside Man
Flightplan
Jin-Rô
Mononoke-hime
Kôkaku kidôtai
Snatch
Chuen jik sat sau
Batman Begins

... and of course all "Olsen-banden"-films, e.g. Olsen-banden går i krig

Jörg

P.S.: There's no order in my list - it's more or less random [Wink]
P.P.S.: Strange... there are nearly no Hollywood-films on my list!?

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi adrian,how about a 2x400ft digest of the orignnal omen?.i sure youre editors can do a great job,and certinnaly a lot better than ken films did.andy.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anything, I would prefer a gorgeous
Full-length print of 1976
ROCKY .
Stallone, Burgess Meredith, Talia Shire,
Burt Young, Bill Conte, and director
John G. Avildsen, all were garnered with
Oscar Nominations. The film won for Editing
Director, and Best Picture against
Taxi Driver and Network.

Or how about a gorgeous full-length print
Scope or adapted scope print of
The Godfather ?
This film is tops in every form.

Many collectors do not have it,
and we watch it every time when it airs
on cable TV.

By now many of the Godfather 1 & 2 prints
all have color fade, which were released by
Marketing.

These are classics to see again and again.

There are many Elvis fans, how about releasing
cut down prints in scope of Blue Hawaii ?
Every Song in that picture is a classic!
With some nice editing, that would be a true
crowd pleaser again and again.
Hawaiian Wedding Song,
Blue Hawaii,
Can't Help Falling in Love
as well as some of the minor songs
all have a fun beat and twist to each one.
If you check it out, you can see how they
seamlessly meshed the songs into the plot
of this beautiful feature.

No offense taken Adrian, but
I don't wish to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show,
or to screen a print with a rowdy audience
that believes that it would be OK, to toss scores of Cards,
and rice, and mop up water from
the floor after the crowd decides to have an
interactive moment with the screen. [Eek!]

This is the element, which made this picture
a cult favorite, and my wife would not appreciate
picking up after each screening for too long either.

The song:Let's do the time warp again, was the only
part I found amusing.

Wasn't 'Rocky Horror' available as a digest many years ago?

Respectfully to the Wallace and Grommit fans,
I am not interested in this title, although it
received the most nods on this post.

But if fishnet stockings and lipstick sells,
well then go for it. [Frown]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 08, 2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I'm completely with you as far as Rocky goes - excuse me, I mean of course Rocky Horror Picture Show. [Big Grin] Yeah, it may be a cult movie and "very" repeatable indeed, but only so with a, shall I say, hardcore audience that is its very own dedicated fan club in a way that has little to do anymore with our own enjoyment of film for what it is. Let's just not go there. [Roll Eyes] And yes, a 400' digest of it does exist... not sure who released it, though.

What kind of frustrates me about this thread ... is that I know there's number of titles that absolutely MUST come out on super-8 that I always think of... except I just can't come up with their names right here, right now. Bugger, that human memory thing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 12:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
r.h.p.s was released thru fox/ken films.andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 09, 2006 01:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bugger, that human memory thing
Gets worse as you get older [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 03:06 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, Rocky was released full length years ago. Secondhand copies still come up for around £100 so keep your eyes open.

I don't really have any preference for a future Super 8 feature release. It appears Wallace and Grommit would sell so if a master can be sourced that seems like the best bet currently. If not, then I would recommend any feature release to be 'Scope.

In the meantime I'd still like further extracts from 'Gladiator'. I rather fancied having sequential extracts that would effectively form a cut-down of the feature when completed. For example, we already have the complete opening, perhaps a future extract could be from when Russell Crowe finds the emperor slain to when he finds his own family slain (not sure how long this would be as I haven't checked). Next could be when he is picked up and taken into Gladiatorial school. We already have the 'Battle of Carthage'. Then perhaps just the final arena fight against Joaquin Phoenix with the possible addition of the penultimate arena fight if sales of all other extracts are buoyant. There you go, a cut-down feature release of Gladiator without cuts during each sequence meaning minimal damage to the 35mm print.

Enough of my ramblings.

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 03:35 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

Your idea for a Gladiator cut down sounds good, I'd buy that! I'd also buy Rocky Horror Picture Show , one of the most repeatable films and something I'd love to own on super 8.

I'd also just like to reiterate my support for anything from Wallace and Grommit . [Smile]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 03:46 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Adrian,

I also like the hammer films. Great idea from you to release more titels. Taste the blood of Dracula is one of my most famous Draculafilms with Chris Lee.

What do you think about The Brides of Dracula with David Peel and Peter Cushing, I think this is also a good title.
Another great Hammerfilm I like to have is Dracula A.D. 1972.

To Andrew Wilson

Why only a 2 x 400 ft Version??

I hope to get the Omen as full lengt in CS.

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Uwe Brengel
Junior

- posted June 09, 2006 04:24 AM      Profile for Uwe Brengel   Author's Homepage   Email Uwe Brengel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,
I also would buy further Hammer films in feature length, also "Hound of the Baskervilles" (Cushing/Lee) f.e.
"W&G in Curse of the Were-Rabbit" seems to be a very popular title.
However, please give us a new feature, Derann [Big Grin]

Chester Brooks
Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 05:36 AM      Profile for Chester Brooks   Email Chester Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All

Thanks for the link to Classic. I checked him out and whilst I would love to add Spiderman to my collection the price he is charging is a little too rich for me and he hasn’t exactly inspired me with his pillow talk so I will stick with Derann and see what they plan to release.

Out of curiousity I notice a lot of German collectors on this forum. Classic seem to be importing all his titles from Germany so do any of the German collectors know what the source is or can send me an personal email. I think it would be quite useful particularly for US collectors if we could buy from the 8mm source like Derann rather than pay a commission/finders fee.

It would be quite useful for the German dealer to have an outlet here and with this thread maybe we can persuade them to release some 8mm features like the ones suggested.

Chester

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 09, 2006 06:45 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how about a 2x400ft digest of the orignnal omen?.i sure youre editors can do a great job,and certinnaly a lot better than ken films did.andy.
Andy, you can splice Ken's and Piccolo's cut-downs together. Follow this link.

quote:
And yes, a 400' digest of it does exist... not sure who released it, though.
Jan, it's a Fox / Ken release (reference # F62). Any one interested in that title, I have one spare. Send me an email or a PM.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 07:32 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, none of the Godfather films are scope. They were all shot 1:33 and matted to 1:85 for theatrical exhibition.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC