8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Photos for Kevin - Elmo ST-600D M&O

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photos for Kevin - Elmo ST-600D M&O
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 08, 2006 06:29 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

-

(...I'd like to know why we have this silly width limitation of 550 pixels when 640 would be so much more convenient...)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 06:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats brilliant. This is the first time I have clapped eyes on one of these optical machines.....great. I note that it also has that double record slider and the central silent position. Looking at the colour etc it looks more like the ST180 than the 600. Even got Monitor sockets like the ST1200HD so you could probably get stereo out of it.

I wouldnt mind you mailing some of these pics direct please Jan. I'm in the process of collecting together images for my website.

The limitations on pic size are probably due to the unix based software which runs this forum. It also helps to keep space on the server. This is probably the smallest you can get away with at 72dpi which still gives good resolution.

Kev.

PS I'm first in line please if you ever decide to get shot of it [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 06:39 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would love to get hold of one of those! Must be rarer than hens teeth as I've never seen one for sale.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think they were ever sold in Europe. It only tended to be the ST1200 ,ST800 series and the GS1200 which were sold in any great numbers sporting optical sound.

Yes I bet that is quite a rare beast. Jan how much did you pay for it? if thats not too rude a question.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I remember seeing a GS800 with optical sound a few years back at one of the BFCC's at the "Top Hat" club, so some unusual units must have reached Europe (or perhaps you had to order them specially, who knows!).

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I think it also depended on the Distributor here in the UK at the time as to what they thought would sell.
A GS800 with Optical. Again never seen one of those either.

Kev.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I owned 2x GS800 magnetic/opticals in the past. Doesn't seem to rare here in the states- or maybe just in NYC...

Tim Halloran
Junior

- posted June 08, 2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Tim Halloran   Email Tim Halloran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me the essential difference between the Elmo ST-180E and the Elmo ST-600 projectors? Apart from the outside color, they seem to have the same features, etc. Regardless, why the big difference in the model numbers; 180 vs. 600?

Also, is there any significant advantage to the ST-600 "D" model as opposed to the straight ST-600? It seems like you can do some dual-track mixing on the "D" model but I'm not sure at this point whether its a feature of any use.

Thanks.

Tim

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 08, 2006 04:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few variations between the models. I think as you say the "D" is the dual tracks or twin track with the ability for you to playback both tracks at the same time.

The ST180 is basically the same machine but with newer electronics, a balance control and on some versions it has monitor sockets to allow track to track transfer.

On the version here that Jan has I'm sure it's a 180 badges as a 600 with the inclusion of optical sound.

Kev.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2006 06:02 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it also the case that for countries using the metric system 180 was used designating spool capacity, ie 180 metres and for the UK and others still using feet and inches, the models were called 600 for its 600ft capacity?

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 08, 2006 09:28 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... wow. It's only now that I'm beginning to realize just what kind of a lucky catch I made there on eBay. I don't mind the question about how much I paid at all - like I said I was the only bidder at $50, plus $45 shipping from Canada to the USA. So, less than $100 total, or just about 50 British pounds. [Cool]

Which brings me to my next point - some of you keep mentioning Europe, well, this machine was in fact manufactured and originally sold in Canada! What more, its condition is absolutely mint, both inside and outside... there is barely a speck of dirt. The only problem it really had was that the belts had disintegrated. I put new ones on and it fired right up and ran beautifully, great picture, great sound, no further adjustments of any kind needed. Of course the first thing I did was watch my optical-sound educational film about hunting [Smile] and it was a whole new experience with the sound present. I was once again amazed at how good the optical sound really was - a bit muffled of course (what with the limited frequency response) but very clear and with a minimum of noise, though interestingly enough I noticed some slight crackling which sounded just like what you'd expect to hear from a vinyl record. Anyway I'm beginning to ramble [Big Grin]

Kevin, now I wish I had saved the 640x480 versions of my images before I resized them to 550 pixels wide as some of the detail was lost during resizing (crappy software's fault). But I'll be more than happy to email them to you, and take additional ones as well if you want me to do so (back cover, insides, and such). Please let me know if the pictures posted here are OK or if you would like them re-shot in 640x480 (or even higher) resolution. [Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 09, 2006 01:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jan. A higher res would be better. And yes some of the innards etc would be great. Send them to my email address which I think you have.

I cant belive thats all you paid for that machine. I can only say you were in the right place at the right time. Well done to you.

Optical sound can be really good and yes there is a limit to the high frequency end due to the low running speed and widthe etc of the track. The crackling is just marks and dirt.

K.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 10, 2006 08:50 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say - I love it! A Bauer Royal 8E makro super-8 camera for under $10, and now this. [Big Grin] Which reminds me, I'm not ever selling the ST-600D, it's now officially the little brother - I actually wanna say "sister," for some reason - to my ST-1200HD unit. Sorry to disappoint you folks [Wink]

Kevin, I'll get those high-res photos sorted out for you today and email them later.
Ohdang, wait, actually that'll have to wait until tomorrow. My wife's attending a bridal shower today (2.5 hours away from home, long drive there and back) and she has our digital camera with her (which takes much better pictures than my webcam, needless to say). Ack [Frown]

As for the optical sound... it does sound good enough that I can just see myself becoming the next Osi Osgood. Cripes, and I already didn't want to get into 16mm film collecting. Now I'm in danger of starting yet another obsession. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 10, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now I'm in danger of starting yet another obsession.
Who said this was an ossession [Wink]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 10, 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm speaking for myself, of course [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC