8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Crazy German Shipping Charges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crazy German Shipping Charges
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 02:55 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone found a way to ship super 8 films cheaply out of Germany? I wanted to buy a 2X400' digest and was going to be charged 70 euros! That just seems crazy to me.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 09, 2006 03:02 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
70 Euros!. You can get a projector shipped for that price. Whats the weight of the package then? I'm siure thats well over the top.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 03:35 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, I've just checked DHL Germany. Shipping to the US is

up to 5kg (11lbs) 32 Euros, air mail 48 Euros
up to 10kg (22lbs) 42 Euros, air mail 74 Euros
up to 20kg (44lbs) 62 Euros, air mail 126 Euros

Joerg

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 09, 2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your definitely getting screwed (a nice american word) on the shipping! I always hate it when a seller will try to inflate his profit on a sale by upping the shipping charge!

Grrrr!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2006 04:19 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,

when I send to USA to some forum members I try to use the cheapest way.

I always offer alternatives between letters and parcel.
2 x 400 could be delivered as registered letters.
up to 1000 gramm it costs 8.00 EUR plus 2.05 EUR for registering fee.

up to 2000 gramm it costs 14.00 EUR plus 2.05 EUR register fee.
In most cases 2 x 400 weights under 1000 gramm, but it depends of packing

====>>> registered letters are insured only till 25,- EUR!!

These letters needs about 2 - 6 week for shipping.

For more details follow this link.

There are also cheaper parcel prices.

up to 5 kilogramm (about 8 x 120m) shipping to USA costs
32,- EUR. This is not "air mail" but the transport is also
with plane from continent to continent. The shipping time is also about 2 - 6 weeks and the insureing is about 45 EUR plus
about 8 EUR each Kilogramm inside the parcel.

More details at this Link.

The 2nd air mail prices which Joerg has written are fast delivery and insuring till 500 EUR.

Where did you buy these films? If the seller do not make a better price for shipping you could make the deal over me.
He send the films to me and I send to you.

cheers
Andreas

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 09, 2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that shipping from the UK to the US is very expensive but under 2kg and the package can go by small packet air providing its no larger than 1m square! I know...bizarre.

I think your seller is on the make via the shipping. Such a shame that this sort of thing is such common place on eBay.

I would either take up the offer from Andeas or tell the guy to stick the films where the sun don't shine and then report him to eBay.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2006 07:57 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas- Thanks for all the shipping info. I haven't bought the film yet . He has it "Buy It Now" and I told him I was passing because of the 70 euros charge for a 2X400' digest. Maybe I will take you up on your offer to ship it to you then to me. I will think about it over the next day. Not sure how I can repay you the favor.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC