8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Collectors Club

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Collectors Club
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2006 05:13 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how many of these where produced and how many where made in Super8. I do know that there seems to be more Standard 8 about why is this the case?

On print quality how would you rate this plus where did they obtained the originally pre-print masters? I do remember seeing a batch of 50 super8 reels with a sound stripe being sold as one lot in the familiar yellow boxes.

For a collector of silent slap stick where would someone start on getting the best possible pictures on Super 8 but of course not paying a fortune for them in the long run?

Also where this prints abridged or full length as being mostly 2 reeler’s shorts?

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello robert,Are you talking of COLLECTOR'S CLUB of old?it was run by Terry Nunne,back in the 70's.
It's true they released some real cinema gems back then.
A lot of the silent cinema-like PHANTOM OF THE OPERA(1925);
NOSFERTU(1922)etc...Andy.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2006 05:54 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,

I have several of these Collectors Club shorts. All of mine are 200ft in the yellow/gold box with about 1/3 on Super 8, the rest of them on Std 8.

Mine are all silent slapsticks and they are indeed an affordable way to collect these old shorts. I would love to see a full list too.

I have found a large amount of companies that produced silent era shorts especially from the std 8 days. Probably the best quality are Blackhawk shorts and they are the highest priced ones.

Some of my Collectors Club titles I have never seen available anywhere else.

Who has a list?

David

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 07, 2006 07:08 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an expert but I have a few of their 200' releases on Super 8, including one or two in blue boxes. I think the prints are quite good, not exceptionally sharp but by no means bad. I believe they sold everything by mail order and I think that with some films, you would buy a 200' reel every month, so it might take quite a while to get the whole feature!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 07, 2006 07:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a good dealer for the super 8 collector, many mant releases and you could purchase feature films (as we did with the magnificent two)one reel per month. I also purchased the Salvador Dali 2 reeler un chien andalou, which later caused a problem for collectors club because of copy right. A right contraversal reel full stop.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a very short time in the late 70's they had a retail shop in the Kilburn High Road in London called "Collectors Films". As a collector of vintage horror films I visited there quite often. Some of the gems they released were "White Zombie", "Dark eyes of London" and "The Most Dangerous Game" in full length editions. They also released "The Vampire Bat" in a very slightly edited version. I always found them to be very pleasant people to deal with. Along with "Perry's Movies" and LGP Cine" they were my favourite Super 8 dealers.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 03:49 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year a friend of mine rang to tell me that his elderly neighbour had passed away and that he had owned a few old 8mm films which his wife no longer wanted.

Knowing I was into super 8, he wondered if I wanted them as otherwise they would be junked as his wife was having a bit of a clear out.

Well, I didn't like the thought of any films being thrown out so I said I'd have a look at them.

He arrived with boxes and boxes of films, mostly standard 8 Collector's Club prints. Literally hundreds of films including features on numerous 200ft spools like Nosferatu, Metropolis, The Lost World, The Huncback of Notre Dame, Battleship Pontemkin...the list goes on and on.

Most of the reels were even brand new and never projected!

Since I didn't have a really good standard 8 projector, I even went so far as to buy a mint condition Eumig to show them on (thanks to some great advice here on the forum).

So far I've seen a couple of the features, just recently The Lost World. For the age of the master material it was a very good print indeed and seems complete...can't wait to see the rest when I get time!

Some of the more interesting stuff includes the Collector's Club super 8 print of Tree In A Testube which has suprisingly good colour and a reel of interviews with Oliver Hardy and Bela Lugosi...great stuff.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC