8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » who makes the best reel/cans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: who makes the best reel/cans
Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2006 04:58 PM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, looking to spend the winter months glueing film together. So nows the time to start building a supply of 200 and 400ft reels and cans. Can someone recommend the best r/c for the super 8 format?. At present i have a mixture of gepe,hama,posso and quite a few of photax r/c. The gepe seem to be the better quality of the r/c i own, but are there better makes available. Any input would be great.
Andy

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have so many different plastic reels, and have found that most are fine, and there is little difference between the quality in reels when it comes to 200 and 400 foot.

If I had to choose the best, I would say the Goldberg steel reels are the "Rolls Royce" of super 8 reels. I picked up quite a few 600 and 800 foot from Blackhawk way back when they were closing all the film stuff out (otherwise Goldberg reels would have been way too expensive). They are dark brown and have a very classic look to them, even suitable for hanging on the wall (though my wife might disagree).

Nick.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always use Bonum reels and cans. In my opinion they are consistantly the best quality reels for Super 8. Similarly I find Tuscan reels and cans the best for 16mm film.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2006 04:27 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Paul, I prefer BONUM plastic reels and cases; and plastic reels and cases (or cardboard) for everything. Tuscan 200' and 400' are very good too. I also like the NORIS 800 footers. Nick...those GOLDBERG reels are too heavy to suit me...I have two 800 footers if you want them for postage. Let me know. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 06:16 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the bonum reels/cases as well, but I have had a couple of them crack around the core. Plus, the the door on the edge has given up on a few of my older ones.

Joe- Thanks for the offer [Smile] , but I am plenty stocked up on reels for now. I know what you mean about them being heavy, but you got to admit- they do look good! [Wink]

Nick.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 10, 2006 07:21 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Joe- the Bonum reels are the best plastic reels out there. In metal reels, the Elmo 1200 ft reel is the best I have seen, very light and very smooth running.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 10, 2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only real problem with the bohnams is if you post the films in the cans withought making sure they can not move, with bumping etc they will get loads of small chips n the egde of the reels, sometimes really bad and in my experiance the worst reels to do this..
I once got an optical 3x600 from a dealer on them and no in case padding and all of the film was absolutely covered in little grey plastic shards and the edge of the reels with loads of little bits off. Ouch.!!!!
So if you buy anything in them always ask the seller to pack the reels on the outside of the case`s or put good padding in with the reel if you will.
Just pick up a feature in them and give a little shake this way and that you will see what I mean.
best Mark.

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 06:10 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you buy the Bonum Reels.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 10, 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad Elmo never made their wonderful white 800ft plastic reels in a 1200ft size. Now those are awesome... And the Carl Schneider KG reels are a close second...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2006 11:20 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bonums are good
but as Mark mentioned,
those plastic pieces
are deadly once they
break off. My only
other issue with the
Bonum, is that they
do not allow the films
to breathe sufficiently.
It may be best to remove
the red colored back tabs
on the box to allow fresh air in.

As far as 1200' reels,
I will side with Paul
that the Elmo's are
light and balanced.

The Goldbergs are fine
and look great, but they add
a little extra weight
for the GS 1200 to handle.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC