8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pathescope 200B hazard?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathescope 200B hazard?
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 18, 2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this data sheet for the Pathescope 200B on the Cinedirstan web site, and it says that the lamphouse is lined with asbestos!!!
http://www.cinerdistan.co.uk/37cat2,4+0008.jpg

I know that back in the 1930's asbestos was not recognized as a health hazard, but today we know that it is very dangerous stuff. The thought of a 200B cooling fan blowing out fine particles of asbestos into a room is pretty scary, and certainly would deter me from buying one of these superb machines.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 19, 2006 06:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good point you have bought up there. I too wouldnt want fine particles being blown round the room.

I dare say that the Asbestos could be removed. If the cooling is good I would have thought that would be sufficient.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 19, 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember hearing that there were, in fact, different types of asbestos and that only a certain one was harmful. The other type(s) was/were of a different composition with different properties and were OK to use...

Or maybe I'm completely full of it. Honestly, I'm not sure. [Eek!]

But I would think that if this machine really had the dangerous kind of asbestos in it, anyone who owns/uses one would've ended up in the emergency room by now...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

David Evans
Junior

- posted August 24, 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for David Evans   Email David Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

The 200B has a soft asbestos lining to the lamp house - as I understand it, it is the hard asbestos which gives trouble when cut, sawed etc. The lamp house would get VERY hot if the asbestos was removed, unless some alternative insulation was installed.

Does anyone know of a source for the special lamps for this projector? Or should one convert them to quartz halogen, which would probably reduce the lamp house temperature too....?

Regards

David Evans

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC