8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo GS800 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Elmo GS800
Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 09:30 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has turned up on the bay and was wondering your thoughts between this and the Sankyo S800

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elmo-GS800-Stereo-Super-8mm-Projector_W0QQitemZ250082845216QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 09:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter this is the smaller version of Elmos 1200 series.its a good machine,but for my money,and im going to upset a lot of Elmo fans,on this forum...the Sankyo is much better.I did say in a previous post that the Sankyo stereo 800,is the best stereo800 machine there is.I stand by that view.Andy.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 09:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope this helps.
I had no less than 3 GS800 machines at one point and all three scratched the film next to the main stripe. The first two I had from new, and the third used. The problem was with poor finish to part of the film path guide at it entered the sound head. The two new machines had new guides fitted within warranty periods but some months later did the same thing all over again!

I still have my Sankyo Stereo 800 which convereted to 1200ft reels and it runs perfectly even after all these years and must have seen years not months of use. I hanged the belt one and just clean the gate etc as usual.

If it was me I would stick with the Sankyo 800 as long as it has been looked after.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 10:02 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned both machines as well. The Sankyo was much nicer. Better sound, brighter bulb, and the most important part of all it was much kinder to film. The GS800 seems almost Chinon like in its brutality to film! [Eek!]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
A real horror story there Lee.Super8 is dear enough without having a machine giving our super8 films marks/lines etc.
My GS1200 stereo is getting serviced,that has been a bloody nightmare for Kevin Faulkner,of this forum.
The only thing that is Sankyo's problem is gate wear;they are well known for it.Once you replacement that problem,it runns as a super 8mm projector should.It has only scrathed my film due to a worn gate assembley.it was fixed,no more lines.marks etc.Need i say more.Andy.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 11:43 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with the Sankyo, but then I would [Wink] .

The Sankyo has a brighter bulb (150w) and, if you can find one, it's possible to fit it with the Sankyo Hi-Pro lens. The best thing about Sankyos though has to be that they are very kind to film, I haven't yet had one damage a film.

On top of that they have a nice steady image and belting good stereo sound. And whilst I guess it's a matter of opinion; I think they look sexy too [Big Grin] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 12:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,You are 110% correct.I to im with you on this one.Andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 04:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
And me too.....believe it or not [Big Grin]

The thing I really don't like about the GS800 is the really annoying problem of static discharge.
Yes it can be cured but it's a bugger of a problem to sort. This problem of wear is one I have also heard of before but have not actually seen a machine giving the problem so cant comment on why it should do this so quickly especially when the same parts are used round the head area as on the ST1200HD or GS1200, ST600 machines.

The Sankyo's are well made machines and are kind to film but I have worked on a few of them with the most extraordinary electrical problems mainly round the sound output circuitry or motor control board. Like the Elmos parts are getting difficult to source so beware of this where the gate is concerned.

The Sankyo's have good sound and a rock solid picture [Smile]

Andy, If you dont mind I will post the story of your poor GS on here at some point as i think it might make interesting reading for other members [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 07:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont mind at all Kevin.The thing is though,would the other forum members be able to take it.After all,for you and i its been more terrfing than anything made by Universal or Hammer films.Andy.
P.S you have pm's Kevin.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 12:28 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for a very interesting topic and seems the Sankyo 800 is by far the favourite machine [Cool]

I take it that these Hi-Pro lenses are a rare find,everything thing i've read about them suggest that if you own a Sankyo they are a must have.

And rare means they probably fetch really good prices

Did Sankyo only make these in small numbers instead of mass producing them.

Looking forward to reading Kev's post on Andys GS,sounds like a complete nightmare.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 04:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter..It is.Andy.Mine you it was not as bad as forum member Brian Hendel,truly frighting story of his GS1200.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 11, 2007 05:46 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Had one that was scratching the living daylights out of prints.
Phil Sheard told me when I mentioned having one that they all suffered from the fault and many were sold off cheap, Ouch.
Best wishes Mark.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 06:13 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
flippin heck, I nearly bought one of those a couple of years ago before I bought the GS1200, close escape [Eek!]

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 06:30 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be very interesting to see exactly what these 2 Projector's sell for:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SANKYO-STEREO-800-SUPER-8-SOUND-PROJECTOR_W0QQitemZ120083134350QQihZ002QQcategoryZ11722QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elmo-GS800-Stereo-Super-8mm-Projector_W0QQitemZ250082845216QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 07:21 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine that the Elmo would be sold for the most money purely on the Elmo name, even though the Sankyo might be better.

Just looked at the final minutes of the auction.
The Sankyo winning bid was £160

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 11, 2007 07:34 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sankyo went on a few very last second bids at £160 quite a good price if OK, I wouldn`t fancy a GS800 for that myself unless absolutely mint and one of the later ones.
best Mark.

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 08:17 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was tempted but at that sort of money i'd rather be able to pick it up myself rather than put my faith in the sellers packing or dare i say it "The Postman"

Well if the Elmo sells for more and is brutal on film then i pity the buyer especially as films don't come cheap these days.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 08:36 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter

If you're interested, I could send you a scan of the Move Maker test report of the Sankyo Stereo 800. Just send me a pm with an email address and I'll get it off to you.

Mike

--------------------

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,I've already got it along with the 700 test report you sent to me last week [Wink]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 09:09 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry, I forgot [Roll Eyes] . I've sent out so many and of course haven't kept any record of who's had what.

Interestingly, the most often requested have been the Sankyo 800, the Elmo ST1200 and the Elmo GS 1200, in that order.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 11, 2007 09:40 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike I`d be very interested please if you can email some this way.
Do you remember that nice 800 you sourced for me locally( thanks) but as is often the case at this end slightly penurious doings so I left it. Should have got it.
Best Mark
PS do you have my rowdy3 email.

Alessandro Machi
Junior

- posted February 11, 2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Alessandro Machi   Author's Homepage   Email Alessandro Machi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man oh man, can a projector be more beaten into the ground then what you are stating about the Elmo, sheesh.

I never tried the Sankyo, I ran my Elmo GS800 to death back in film school days. I never wanted to part with it but I had a chance to trade it for Canon 814XLS, so I did. I still miss the bugger. I have entered the Rutgers Super-8 film festival the past two years and my two super-8 films that have become finalists had their sound applied via the Elmo GS800 projector, a long long time ago. For me the Elmo GS-800 was a terrific projector but it's just as possible that the Sankyo is even better. lol, I became frightened of the Sankyo mark in general when they came out with a camera in which the lens felt kind of like it was made out of plastic. It actually took good pictures however.

--------------------
My Super-8 Still Images
Super-8mm.net
Super-8mm.com

I purchase Kodak Film & Inkjet Paper but can't find Kodak Inkjet Printable DVDs.

Small Format Magazine
Super-8 Today Magazine

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2007 07:07 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, all.
I have owned a Sankyo 800 for more than 10 years now and probably run a few kilometers of film through it, always scratch-free.
So I was wondering why is it the gate assembly is so famous for worning and what the clues are it is about to need replacement Noise? Jitter?).
Thamks a lot for the info.

--------------------
Maurizio

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2007 02:22 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest Maurizio, this is the first I've heard of a problem with the gate...

Mike

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2007 04:07 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same for me, hence my question. Andrew Wilson brought this up in this thread, so probably he's the right person to answer it; Andrew?
Thanks

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC