8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » to all who sell films on UK ebay (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: to all who sell films on UK ebay
Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2007 08:06 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you really should offer international shipping, you lose potential customers by being uk/europe only! just a helpful tip from a fellow film collectors on the other side of the pond, after all if I sell a film on ebay, Id let you guys have a crack at it!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 05:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

I always put mine up as International. I do know that a lot of people don't bother because of the high cost of shipping from the UK especially to the US. Because of this and the bad $ to £ it means you get very little interest from the US where the bulk of the International collectors are.
If you see a film on eBay UK that you really want why don't you ask the seller if they will ship to your part of the world.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2007 07:08 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently sent a parcel to Spain and at thirty two quid standard rate I can see why people wont ship abroad.I wont again and to hell with "possible lost sales" [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted September 10, 2007 07:45 AM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If people from overseas ask, I generally say OK, as long as they are clear that the postage charges can be high, and they'll be paying!!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 08:02 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
International is fine, but I seem to find endless mails when doing so asking for low cost shipping which is not available. Posting is now high enough here within the UK for goodness sake and as low as we try to keep postage fees, packing materials and labour its no so often you receive a thank you for your efforts these days.
As the say in the North UK "Owt for nowt"
(Something for nothing is todays motto)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that really helps take the sting out of overseas shipping is what reputable dealers are able to offer, that the ebayer quite simply cannot, the VAT tax reduction.

Derann, for instance, takes off 15 % off the listed price. Take your used sale list, Derann takes off 15% in VAT tax off of a 50 pound film ... that brings that title down to around 42 pounds, which helps to lesson the blow of shipping.

It is a major problem. I believe that sellers over in the UK (as well as around the world) ought to raise a major outcry and go public with it. Take actual figures and show these blokes in the post just how much actual sales are being lost to old Britannia (for instance) in overseas sales. It might wake them up.

That and the cursed difference in the $ and pound. When I re-started my collecting about 3 and a half years ago, it was One pound = 1.68 american. Now it's about one pound = 2.05 american.

That's a big jump in just three or so years, and it DOES make a difference when buying overseas.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, UK companies or traders only have to register for VAT if their annual turnover exceeds £61k, hence reputation has nothing to do with being able to offer a VAT discount as most Ebay UK film sellers would not be anywhere near the £61k per year turnover so you would not have been charged VAT on their prices in the first place. Also I am pretty certain that UK VAT is 17.5% so the discount you get from Derann may be even better than you think!

Back on topic - I always offer International shipping on my Ebay items and about 40% of my sales go abroad to Europe & the USA so it really is folly to restrict your potential buyers by location and still expect to gain the best price for your items.
Kevin

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 12:21 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This point of view from sellers that they will not offer world wide shipping because they think the rates are too high is ridiculous. [Roll Eyes] If the buyer is willing to pay the shipping and handling fees then why not sell it to them? I have been selling world wide for six years and the Postal rates have gone up several times, but people keep buying world wide with no complaints! I buy from other countries too. If you cannot afford these international prices, don't make the purchase. That's what I do. [Smile]

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thats stating the obvious.If one cannot afford it,dont buy it.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 12:54 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what about if you like Flip the Frog cartoons?
[Roll Eyes]
 -
My hero !

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 10, 2007 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet part of the problem is that people often don't consider what the shipping charges are when they bid, and then try to back out of the auction or engage in a huge negotiation ("My brother will be in London next year, can he stop by your house?") when it's over.

Sometimes E-bay sellers actually use this factor and sell a $5 item with $20 worth of "Shipping and Handling" charges. The question is how obscene do the charges have to be before the buyer decides the negative feedback is worthwhile.

Even being clear up front about the charges and policies isn't going to completely stop this either: I find that people simply don't read these days. Many times I've published a document and gotten phone calls and e-mails asking questions that are clearly answered if they’d just take a minute and actually read what I sent. The people I'm talking about aren't idiots either, just so pressed for time they skim everything and then move on.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Lee! [Big Grin]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 05:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
One way of keeping the cost down, I have found, is to keep the parcel below 2Kg. By doing that it can then travel by "Small Packet Air" but this might mean sending a feature as two consignments.

I believe that std surface mail was dropped by the US postal company and that this also pushed up prices for shipping to the US and out of the US for that matter.

I have sold many films to the US over the years and will continue to do so as long as the buyer is aware of shipping costs. What I really hate is those people that bid on films on eBay and then start griping about shipping costs after the purchase. It makes it all a waste of time.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Little clip from "Fiddlesticks" (The first major color film from a cartoon studio ... 1930, I believe AND done by Ub Iwerks, the man who completely animated the very first Disney Mickey Mouse cartoon ... take that Disney!!)

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 09:33 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some UK Ebayers willing to send a 400 feet (approx. 400 grams)to anywhere overseas for GBP 2.99 (the same cost that some "silly" Ebayers charge for domestic shipping in the UK). Kev, is this what you are saying by "Small Packet Air"?

If that goes to 2 x 400 feet (approx. 900 grams) what will the postage cost be by "Small Packet Air" ?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2007 09:58 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

A 900g Small Package to Indonesia airmail would cost £9.72

Below is a link to the Royal Mail price finder, simply enter the weight in grams or kilograms and enter the country of destination and it will display all possible postage prices.

Royal Mail

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 10, 2007 10:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the link, indeed, that is the one I always use to calculate the postage cost from the UK.

But the Ebay seller I mentioned above (he has some items for sale at the momment) is clearly stating that for domestic postage within UK is GBP 1.99 and seller standard Itnernational rate GBP 2.99 for 1 x 400".

I have checked the Royal Mail website and found that for 400 grams the minimum cost is GBP 4 for air mail and GBP 2.34 for surface.

I don't know if the seller is going to use a surface mail(which will take 54 days!!!) or he is going to subsidise the air mail cost.

But my last question, is it possible in the UK to send a 400 reels inside an envelop and Mr. postman will consider it as a printed matter, so then, only need some small money of stamps for air mail? (ps: this can happen in Australia).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2007 06:28 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee:
Perhaps I would make a special effort for Flip The Frog!! [Cool]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 11, 2007 11:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Winbert, Small Packet Air is what I was referring to.

Kev.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 11, 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This shipping problem is many faceted. I recently made two sales to an australian collector. The first package was three and a half pounds. The shipping came to 18.00 dollars american.

Not too bad.

The collector then wanted a second package. This package came to just four pounds and three ounces in weight. that's just 11 ounces more, not even a pound.

It had to ship for 38.00 dollars. Why?

Because the higher shipping starts up right at four pounds, so, even if it is a mere ounce over four pounds, even a fraction of an ounce, it is an additional 20.00 dollars!!!

The buyer still wanted the films, and paid the 38.00 dollars shipping, (which is, what ... almost 60 dollars Australian?)

But that's damned outragous!!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 11, 2007 12:36 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive recently got a small sting, sold a 400footer to a US custoemr, (no problems) and i was informed that would i ship to the US? I replied i would but P+P would be £8 GPB,
He replied that he recently bought a 400footer on ebay and P+P+ was £4.00, like a ding a ling i agreed and guess what??
The postage was indeed £7.90 GPB, although i was happy with sale i was extremly P***d off at having to fork out £4.00 xtra myself, i'll know next time and will always stick to my qoutes,
If you dont wanna pay dont bid,
overall though im surprised to say ive found e bay not the big bad boy i thought it was, as long as your careful and honest, but anyone is ok to buy, just be careful with carrage, [Wink]

Sorry Kev/Doug, you may want to move this to the e bay subject [Big Grin]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2007 03:07 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am always happy to post Films abroad as long as the winning bidder is prepared to pay the shipping costs to there particular destination.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 12, 2007 08:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats it in a nutshell chief! [Wink]

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2007 05:56 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi, $US38.00 is $45.00 Aussie dollars. We are at around 85 cents to the US dollar. This of course makes it even worse for us buying from the UK. The US is not so bad.

I don't know how you UK guys put up with such high postage charges.......let alone food, transport etc.

I would buy much more from the UK film sellers, especially Derann if the conversion was a little more favourable.

I do sell my items all over the world and do buy from overseas as well, but mostly the US as the cost of both the film and postage is much more reasonable.

David

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 13, 2007 06:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I do remember, last year in Sydney, at near Paddy's market, we could spend AU$ 6 (eqv. GBP 2.5) for a plate of various Chinese food (Fried noodles or chicken rice or etc).

Kev, what do you get with GBP 2.5 in London? I guess nothing....

London is one of the most expensive city.

Just for a comparasion, in Indonesia the same chinese food is sold for GBP 0.80 for a plate.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC