8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Stooges Super 8 Boxes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stooges Super 8 Boxes
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2008 02:57 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed that just about all the SILENT Curly and Sound Curly shorts from Columbia all have graphics from Shemp shorts and that the graphic doens't necessarily match the film in the box? Wonder why they did that? Would have been nice if they had used the neat raphics on the Silent editions for the individual Sound versions (ie: The graphic from "Spooks" would have been perfect for "Creeps" since that's the short it actually represents).

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 21, 2008 04:35 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saved them money not creating a whole frontpiece of new box covers. Notice also on the pie-throwing box, the middle stooge could easily be misinterpreted as Curly, Shemp, even Besser to an extent. The artists that be covered his face enough to keep in in the generic mode. I agree, the 200' boxes would have done justice, only SPOOKS was indeed closest to CREEPS. Thing is, none of the others in the 15 series-run made it to a 400' Super 8 Sound edition - Closest was STUDIO STOOPS and WE WANT OUR MUMMY, both made it to the 200' S8Sound versions, but no 400' - I'm proud to own (finally) the complete 200' run with OBs - Those 400' are getting pricey and rare - Shorty

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2008 08:28 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why they wouldn't use a still from "Pardon My Scotch", but instead use a still from "Feulin' Around". Just who's face is on the 400' (pie in the face) boxes that were used for the middle 400'ers. The real early boxes were the generic blue & white, next were the colorized Shemp boxes, after that were the (pie) boxes and finally some white cartoonish boxes with Curly's face (even if the short in the box was a Shemp. "A Bird In The Head", "Three Missing Links", "Woman Haters" and finally "Dizzy Pilots" got even nicer proprietary treatments. So who is the middle stooge with the pie all over his face - it could be any of them?

[ January 30, 2009, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Brad Kimball ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC