8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » May B F C C; Report (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: May B F C C; Report
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2008 03:40 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I arrived at probably the latest time I've ever arrived at such an event-9.50am. The first sight I saw was a guy filming in Single 8, obviously recording the whole day on 8mm forever. Inside, there was plenty to buy; Derann had many 16 mm bargains which I ended up buying (such as another 007 for my collection on 16 mm). Classic & Buckingham also were there, again with plenty on offer. The bring and buy was packed all day and it was there I nearly bought an Elmo 16 CL...think I'll put up a wanted thread for one of these in the wanted section. It was great to see Brian Murphy there too from George & Mildred fame...again around the bring and buy. Whilst enjoying lunch in Cafe Uno, just along the road, I found he'd followed me there too! Altogether another excellent day well worth attending. Many thanks to Keith & The Gang for their efforts; perhaps another member could do a report on the film shows...these I didn't see.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,
I too had a good day out,i bought a couple of 16mm features and a 1 inch lense for my Elf which i've been after,i nearly bought that Elmo CL as well funnily enough.I only got to see one of the shows this time and a great effort by the team as usual and very enjoyable.looking forward to the next one ..Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 24, 2008 04:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great day. Yes, I think everybody had a good look at that Elmo on the Bring & Buy table.
I t was nice to have met some of you at last. Didn't quite catch all the names.
-Mike

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 24, 2008 07:36 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was a good day. I found my time taken up chatting with other members of the forum more than anything else. I did pick up a copy of Up Pompeii on Fuji stock to replace my red SP copy [Smile]

Great to see Paul Adsett over from the US who I think enjoyed himself.

Hopefully John Clancy will post that pic of the group taken during the lunch break. [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 03:41 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to Keith,John and co for another superb day out!

I would also like to give another word of thanks to the guys on the Bring and Buy stall who had to deal with an amazing amount of items for sale along with booking all the items in/out etc,not an easy task I can tell they and they managed it all in there usual friendy and efficent manner,many thanks.

Blimey I haven't seen so much Super 8mm on sale for years,picked up some great bargains too!

Ian @ Perry'a had an incredible selection of films for sale too,many thanks I have been after a 4 x 4ooft copy of FRIGHT for years.

It was great to meet up with other collectors and forum members too.

Looking forward to the next convention already!!

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 03:51 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience was the opposite of Simon's in that I arrived the earliest I ever have and spen most of my ime watching he film shows. I did pop ou a couple of times though and picked up Dead Of Night on 16mm; Derann's Dracula and a couple of Tom And Jerry's I didn't have on Super 8.

The shows were excellent. I particularly enjoyed the Disney section, a continuous reel, all of which was in 4:3, except the last clip from Sleeping Beauty, which was in Scope. John and Keith unmasked the screen incredibly quickly (thanks to a second long pole they'd bodged up earlier, thinking they'd lost the original). Very impressive. The super 8 footage of the demolition of The Sheldon cinema was sad to watch, but well shot. I had trouble hearing Reg's commentary, although I was sitting at the back and that ceiling is very high. The presentation on the music of 20th Century Fox was highly successful and worked much better with Ken Locke's narration pre-recorded - I could hear every word this time. The 35mm material was great to see. I loved the 60s adverts and the long clip from Light The Sky (at least I think it was. I didn't have a programme. Correct me if I'm wrong).

I took my 3D video camera and got some shots of the screen going up and various other snippets of the day. I had a look at the footage last night and e-mailed some anaglyph stills culled from it to John and Keith. It's going to take a while to edit, buit it looks promisinbg from first impressions.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 25, 2008 05:06 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AW, CRAP!!!!I missed the group photo.

Paul, where did you find DEAD OF NIGHT?
I certainly would have snapped this up had I seen it before you. Have you watched it yet? How is it?

-Mike.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 25, 2008 05:14 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know who runs the bring an buy stall and does anyone have any contact details. There was something I regretted not buying and would like to get hold of the seller. [Frown]

Paul, Cant wait to see some of that footage. Maybe you can get it up on the forum when you have finished like Doug's of a couple of years a go.
Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 25, 2008 05:38 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sad I wasn't able to make it this time. Paul is becoming quite the frequent flyer!

Simon: watch the "sale" section, I'll have soon a 16CL in great condition, with accessories, to sell. [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 06:01 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen, the name's Tiv. Noone calls me Paul.I uploaded a photo humorously emphasising this to the members' section but it won't show up as my avatar for some reason. Kevin, Doug's video is excellent, very professionally done. Mine will be a bit more random I think!

Mike, I got Dead Of Night from a well known dealer,the fellow on the left here(not sure of his name)

-

He showed me the opening sequence, which looked fine, but I haven't had a look at the whole film yet.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 06:16 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sad to have missed this one [Frown]

--------------------
Tony

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 06:27 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,the fellow on the left of your picture is Mr Black& White himself,Tony Hutchinson from Leicester,regards,Peter.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 06:35 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Peter,
Embarrassing to admit I didn't know his name. He's there every time, I've bought films from him before and had the odd chat with him.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 06:56 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had a great time and it was also nice to see and speak to Paul Adsett and to meet so many other people again. Its like a family gathering.

One thing I like about the May BFCC is that the next one is only 5 months away. Who cares about summer. [Big Grin]

Graham S

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a lot more I can say other than as usual it was a great day out. I did pick up the 600ft copy of Disney's the Prince & the Pauper from uncle Ian at Perrys and the print is in first class condition.

Once again Keith & John thanks for a great day out. Oh, and lets not forget Johns wife Susie who is the unofficial photographer, technical adviser, dinner lady, barmaid, film crittic and a fellow Mini fan.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday 16.30 - "BFCC + 1" - We've justust got home after an horrendous six hour journey thru torrential rain, traffic jams and accidents on M6 motorway, but as everyone has said above, another great day, spent with like-minded enthusiasts, willing to talk "until the hind legs drop of the donkey". Had a great chat with Paul Adsett at lunch time, what a nice guy, and he didn't look the least bit "jet-lagged". [Big Grin]
Very pleased with my latest "aquisitions" - "The Music Box" (Blackhawk), "Dumbo" feature and the Red Fox "Robin Hood", all in splendid condition.
Can't wait until October to do it all again. Thanks chaps, see you again soon.
P.S I have been asked to pass on thanks from my wife to all the forum lads, for their courtesy and kindness shown in including her in our discussions. I have told her that we are a "gallant bunch of gentlemen" on the forum and she thoroughly agrees. [Smile]

[ May 25, 2008, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 05:05 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was a good one for me too,minus that I missed all the Forum events [Frown] as I was going through the tables to find the good bargains and at the same time talking to fellow collectors from Athens that had come. Some good films I got from Paul Foster like Resnais 'Night and fog'on the Concentration camps and a full feature Blackhawk copy of Keaton's 'General' with sound [Smile] .The real oddity though was some Japanese WWII propaganda items with optical sound (in Japanese!)on 5 200'reels from Derrann. It was the first time they had seen something like this themselves!
Apologies to all Forum members for having completely missed you yesterday,promise to make up for it in October! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Yannis

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2008 07:29 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JEAN: How much for the 16 CL...and what does it come with?

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 05:24 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a great time as well, I spoke to many Forum members, but the highlight of my visits to the BFCC is to see the varied film shows that Keith and his helpers put together, which as always was well put together. I particularly liked the show and talk about "The Dark Side of Disney", and I was really impressed with the scope extract from "Sleeping Beauty". But the item I was impressed with was the final 8mm film, the complete 400' of "Madigan" as a tribute to Richard Widmark, (as I sold this to Keith I was really interested in seeing how it was edited) and it turned out to be one of the best edited 400' version I have ever seen, and the print too was still in excellent condition, and those who stayed on to see this reel had a treat, and may be worth seeking out for any collection. But boy does'nt the day go fast when you're enjoying yourself, still I managed to book up for Blackpool at Derann's stall (saved me a stamp, at least), picked up a couple of bargains, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, which was then finished off with a leisurely meal accross the road, a fine and fitting end to a great day out.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2008 04:52 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arrived home at 4.00pm Monday after yet another enjoyable BFCC.
The forum gathering was interesting and informative and once again the programme of events was excellent.

There were some projector bargains on Perry's table; A GS for less than £600 and a Sankyo 800 Stereo for just £100.

On a personal note, my regards and thanks for making a great day memorable to Colin Hunt, Mike O'Regan and Paul Adsett.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 27, 2008 11:33 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have any contact info for Tony Hutchinson in Leicester?

-Mike

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 12:54 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
Unless someone comes up with the details sooner, I can get you an address/phone number this evening.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 02, 2008 11:31 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
JEAN: How much for the 16 CL...and what does it come with?
Simon, offer now posted in the 16mm section.

Thanks for looking. [Smile]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2008 04:45 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I ran that reel of Madigan last night having borrowed the print after the convention (I didn't have time to watch it on the day) and it looks very good indeed. A bit of colour fade perhaps but still a very sharp print. A darned good film too.

I also picked up a Universal 8 2x400ft of 'Sugarland Express' for a tenner and ran that. It doesn't look like it's ever been through a projector before, has good colour and is also very sharp. This hobby really can offer up some fabulous bargains.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2008 04:53 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

What I saw of the 400' of "Madigan" was that the colour was still mostly OK, but I think the small variation in colour is due to it coming of a Techniscope master, not so much the 8mm print itself. You've got to remember Techniscope was the poor mans Panavision, and when it's panned and scanned you do get colour bleed, but what a great cut though, as the whole story is basicly there in 17 minutes, whoever edited this film new it inside out.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC