8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Warner's Superman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warner's Superman
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 03:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me if the 3 x 400ft was printed warm or is this all down to fade.
I have been trying to find a decent copy for a long time now and just got my hands on a copy but alas it's warm.
The funny thing is that in reel 1 there are some parts which have neutral blacks and really nice blues and greens but the rest is warm looking with nearly orange faces.
Yes I know the 400ft extract in most cases has really faded but was this colour down to bad grading on the 3 x 400ft version.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2008 04:43 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi kevin,the only prints that looks to have good colour and excellent contrast are the german prints from UFA,i had prints from warner of this title in the past (four at all)and all looks similar no good colours and almost warm until i buy a print from our forum member Andreas in germany and is the only one print i see with excellent colour but a little bit grainy,the same happen with my warner print of "the exorcist",the UFA version is wonderful with great colour and the Warner labeled prints are very warm.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 05:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jose, do you think this is a fade issue or bad film grading?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 07:44 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

I do remember, Andreas himself who told me that those UFA prints came from the USA. So, basically buying UFA prints will give the same result with the Warner's.

Andreas, can you give us clarification on this?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 07:45 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

I do remember, Andreas himself who told me that those UFA prints came from the USA. So, basically buying UFA prints will give the same result with the Warner's.

Andreas, can you give us clarification on this?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 25, 2008 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet, could someone look on the film itself and see if the film stock is the same for the UFA prints and the Warners USA prints.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are different stocks.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2008 12:06 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,

I have a german copy of "superman" in a list I've post a couple of month. Colors are also a little warme; a little orange. But there's also blue, green, etc...

Regards,

JC.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2008 07:05 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jose, do you think this is a fade issue or bad film grading?

Kev."
kevin ,i think for my experience that is a question of fade,almost all the stocks i see on this prints are kodak SP that as you know tend to fade to orange or warm brow in most cases,i take a look on my print and the kodak codes revealed that was a print released in 1981 in a SP stock.Anyway my print have all the good colour for the moment.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 27, 2008 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't always pass it off on bad film stock. I have prints of "battlestar Galactica" as well as a Woody Woodpeckr cartoon "Termites From mars", and they are both on Kodak SP and are completely unfaded.

--------------------

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi,you´re almost rigth,mine is unfaded too but my experience as film restorer told me that one day my print and yours will be fade because is almost a persistent defect in the so called "special process" that kodak aplies in that time and that defect always look like kevin say ,always ended in terrible warm brown or orange,in our film library many of the kodak sp prints from 1980 start to fading now to warm brownish ,we have all the negatives thanks to god and soon i will make new prints on fuji,anyway you are rigth,not always is the stock my friend,but that is what is seem to me [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 28, 2008 06:36 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Don't go to optimistic on 8mm prints.

I had the same statement back 4 years ago having seen my "Jaws" (2 reeler also from Universal 8 on Kodak SP). It was so beautiful and unfaded. but now, it looks warming.

I have a Walton on AGFA which is now totally faded.

Also some reels on Fuji which are now warmth.

So, no one guess if only seeing the stocks.

The only my Kodak SP whivh still have strong colors is Raiders of the lost ark (400", Marketing Films).

But, I can say it will fade sometime.

In fact, my K-40 (Kodachrome) shot 20 years ago, is showing color degradation, although not going faded.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 28, 2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen Agfa totally fade it normally out lives any of the SP materials of the time showing virtually no degredation.

I have a copy of Marketing Raiders and its on LPP so I would presume that your is also on the same stock.

Kodachrome showing degradation!!! that really surprises me. Kodachrome is well known for its archival properties. The only time I have seen degradation is if it has been stored very poorly i.e. been subjected to extreme conditions such as damp or heat. This could also be said of the Agfa stocks.

Kev.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 30, 2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kevin. My "Raiders" in L.P.P. Surpised to hear of AGFA fading. My AGFA prints even from the late 70's is still amazing.

A lot happens with improper storage, however. Do you keep your films in a cool environment? Even the best prints will fare differently based upon environment.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 30, 2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kev about Kodachrome. It just does not fade. I have 8mm Kodachrome film from 50 years ago, that looks just like it just came back from processing. No fade on any of my Agfa color film prints either.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 01, 2008 06:41 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a good copy of this 3 x 400, our only problem is that because it had the extra parts put into t form (i think) a 200footer the volume keeps raising and lowering with the main film being a bit under volumed, has anyone ever had this cut down re-recorded? i'd imagine it would be awkward to to the cutting.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 01, 2008 07:17 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: Check this page out.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 01, 2008 02:07 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superb, having read what you have done i'll check my print as i dont think the extracts from the 400footer are in there only the 200 footer.I dont remeber seeeing the prison seqence at the end,(shows how often i put this one through my projector), I do have the full title sequence and lots of little extra parts throughout and the part where Kent goes into the bar at the end and spins the bully guy around.

Thats it i'll be viewing this one tomorrow evening. [Embarrassed]

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I believe your last comments refer to SUPERMAN 11, not the original Kev was asking about.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 01, 2008 06:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Tom is definitely talking of Superman 2.

Love to get that scope title back!

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 03, 2008 06:51 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy bollocks, so i am [Embarrassed]
I need to start viewing again, my memory is getting worse, sorry chaps, [Confused]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC