8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo GS good/bad news

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS good/bad news
Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2008 04:26 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and myself spent a few hours today in an attempt to resolve a couple of problems with our GS.
The good part is we changed the 2 microswitches controlling the auto thread/release so that works beautifully now.
The second problem led us a merry chase however.

On pressing FWD with no film the take-up spool turned as it should and ran continuously. After threading a film, the take up still turned until the film had wound onto the spool when it promptly stopped.

With the GS still running, we manually turned the spool backwards a fraction. It would then turn until the slack film was taken up but then stop.
We measured the voltage with no load, it was a constant 4 volts, but under the tension of the film the voltage dropped to 1.3v

Understandably we were looking for an electrical problem but then decided to remove the take-up motor, which revealed the real culprit. On the motor shaft is a brass sleeve with a plastic, toothed cog. This cog had split, ok with no load, but causing the gears to jam under tension.

The problem now is replacing this small cog,(It can't be repaired) so if anyone on the forum can help I would be very grateful for any information.
thanks,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, maybe FFR Film can help you with a spare part:

elmo spare parts

Have a look at "Getriebezahnrad für GS 1200 Projektor"

Joerg

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2008 05:32 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Joerg, I'm grateful. One of the items does indeed look very similar, although it is on a different part of the projector.
regards,
Mal

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 25, 2008 06:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, It's normally this part which fails"

-

This is off the FFR site and they are great people to deal with and very quick. They take the plastic cards for payment as well as PayPal.

Is this the part which has failed?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2008 03:32 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,
Thanks for the photo, it certainly looks identical although it appears to be on a different motor, (is that the motor on the front spool arm pictured?)

Is that part common to the take-up motor?
Excuse my lack of knowledge and thanks to you and Joerg for your help.
regards,
Mal

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 26, 2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the parts are the same on both take-up motors. Yes that's the front arm.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg and Kev,
The gearwheel arrived from FFR this morning so this afternoon my friend and myself fitted it to the GS.

Happy to report that the GS is now up and running once more just in time for a show I'm doing for a Railway History group next Wednesday.
Thanks to both of you for the advice and info, much appreciated.
regards,
Mal

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 18, 2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome. Glad we could help. This is what this forum is all about...helping others [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little update to say that the GS worked perfectly at tonight's Railway Society presentation.

Another two societies want shows between now and November so I'm relieved to have the #1 machine back in action.
Mal

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 24, 2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,
How are things in Dragonland? Hopefully better than here in the USA, where the country is literally teetering on the edge of a financial abyss and another great depression.
I have noted your interest in Railway films and was wondering if you have the Derann release of 'The Train Driver'. I have a print and I must say it is a great little film about a train trip from London to Manchester. Great shots of billowing steam and pistons, it really brings back memories of how train travel used to be. The Derann print is of superb quality even though it is a black and white print on color stock.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2008 05:31 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
The dragon is still breathing fire for now!

Have to agree with you about 'The Engine Driver'. It's a very evocative but simple little film with no need for narration.
It always goes down well at various shows, not just with the railway groups. It is a very sharp print, those close-up shots are outstanding. The last shot of the driver taking his well-earned 'cuppa' sums up the period, a time long gone.
Only my opinion, but I think the slightly blue colour adds to the feel of the film.
regards
Mal

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 25, 2008 08:37 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul on the US ecconomy thing I find it a bit obscene that the US government may pump 700 Billion in to the greedy Banking system who are very much a part of making the mess while the US actually has some of its own citizens who are malnourished and many with no health care etc etc.!!!!!!

I bet if that ridiculous amount of money goes in they will still find ways to keep giving themselves large bonuses and pay out to shareholders !!!!!

If this debackle doesn`t make the US wake up to the definate need for government change nothing will.

Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 25, 2008 09:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can live without the politics here.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 26, 2008 07:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is one of the forum rules....No Politics! It will always lead to bad words and things getting out of hand.

Kev.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 26, 2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Kev if my comment to my friend Mal stirred up the politics. That was not my intent.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC