8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Price of CIR Splicer (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Price of CIR Splicer
Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 06:00 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone post some pictures of these alternative splicers?

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 07:43 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to the original point , Yes I do think £159 is far too much for a plastic splicer. I remember when the WC were selling super 8 CIR's for £60 when everywhere else were over £100. I wish I bought one then.

I think CIR splicers are getting more difficult to get hold of hence the inflated prices at the moment. I was recently told that the 9.5 model would be over £200 if they ever got hold of more stock. There is also a big difference in prices between the standard, super, 16 and 9.5 models even though the design isnt changed that much.

Graham S

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 27, 2008 08:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, although I use a CIR for 16mm, I'm not sure why their Super 8 splicers should appeal to serious film makers - a Wurker surely produces splices that are much harder to spot during projection.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 28, 2008 08:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Certainly not intending to stab WC in the back, if someone wants to forward this thread to them be my guest, im going from first hand experience, as i said, my Brother went to London a few years back and he tried to make conversation he explained who he was and that he had travelled up to visit London with the intention of visisting WC but they were not interested, i would agree they have been loyal to super 8mm and cine in generall but the kind of customer service recieved by us was far from good. Putting it into perspective my Brother is the spender on cine out of the two of us, i just do a lot of the running work and several thousands have been spent in the last decade through various sources, unfortunatly none through WC.
Just politley letting you know [Big Grin] Oh, and they are expensive [Big Grin] [Wink]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 30, 2008 02:52 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seller has got a couple inexpensive 8mm tape splicers on Ebay at the moment if anyones looking for one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ERNO-S-80-ROLL-TAPE-SPLICER_W0QQitemZ230304420964QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230304420964&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

-Mike

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WS centre is in one of the most expensive placesin London for rent. Not knocking them because have known them for the past 30 years. Tony & Beryl Shapp have promoted film and widescreen over the years. Ifanyone has attended the Widex shows in London and Rickmansworth will know the effert they have put into film. Since retiring from the scene we now have Jake and have heard from others there customer service somewhat lacks. I do not use them myself and the last time I bought from them is splicing tape for my Wurker from the Nottingham branch, who I beleive was run by there daughter. I found them very customer focused. I dont use this excelent splicer now much because I managed to pick up a few years ago a Super 8 CIR slicer from a charity shop still in its box complete and unused for a £1.00 It's much cheaper to run as well. Also bought a 16mm version off e-bay for a good price as well. Again it's how you precent yourself and attitude that makes you a better customer. Having experienced a recent purchase from Curries digitalthe product had just run out of it's years warrenty. I took it back and the manager just said what do you want me to do about it. You will have to ring up the maker and arrange a repair. They have not changed over the years and along with Dixon now gone and having worked for them years back, have changed very little in customer care.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beryl was always very nice every time I'd talk to her. Tony Shapps did a lot for the hobby, not sure how the atmosphere was in their shop but they were agreeable over the phone.

So you really want to feel bad? Check out how much CIR 16mm splicers go for across the bay, or the pond, whatever it's called:

http://store.christys.net/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=cut&search_in_description=1&sort=1a&page=1

For that much money they'd better **** me when it comes to service!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC