8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Price of CIR Splicer (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Price of CIR Splicer
Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago the price of cir splicers for metal was anything from £30-£70, plastic ones from the widescreen centre were £29.00.

The widescreen centre are nowing selling the plastic version for.. Wait for it...

£159.00!!!! [Eek!]

Is this some kind of joke, i have just bought one from ebay (metal) £42.00 plus £4.99 postage. Which i think not bad considering i sold a metal one two years ago got £69, but plastic for £159.00 Is there a world shortage on plastic CIR splicers. [Frown] Pure madness.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

|  IP: Logged

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up an absolutely mint, boxed metal CIR on ebay about 18 months ago for something like £12.50 + £2.50 p&p. Total bargain really, no idea why it went so cheap, the guy had ok feedback, the photos were fine, the description was fine. Ebay can be really weird sometimes, but it was a great buy and made me really happy.

I certainly wouldn't pay £159 for a placcy one, but I doubt that anyone has ever bought one for that kind of crazy price.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Widescreen Centres prices are a joke when you can beet them on price anywhere.
I have a plastic version which I got for £12.00 some years ago and have seen metal ones for sixty quid but £150.......sod that!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 04:11 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Italy the same splicers were sold also with brand Ferrania-3M and you may find them in flea markets for about 15 euros or so with original plastic box, both the super8 model and the std 8 model.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 06:12 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you see a Standard8 version please let me know because try as I may they dont come up for sale here very often!! Any other offers out there guys?

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2008 07:56 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe The Widescreen Centre no longer caters for the 'average Joe' 8mm user. it appears to be used by professional film makers these days.I understand founder Tony Shapps has retired from the business. He stopped writing articles for FFTC a few years ago.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will think you will find that they was allways on the top end of the braket for prices. The shop is located in one of the most expensive areas of London. Still I did enjoy Tony Shapps Widex shows years back, and his 16ft Scope screen shows. Quite a acheivement before the Elmo's came on the market and the light output available at the time..

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 03:11 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to rub "salt into the wound" Chris, but I have just bought a brand new CIR splicer, in it's plastic box, off E-Bay, for £22.00, including postage. After bidding on numerous Cir splicers and getting "sniped" I have succeeded.
Every thing comes to he who waits and I have waited 2 years! [Smile]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'm a total convert to using the CIR, having always been a cement sort of guy previously.

I need to do quite a lot of splices every day in my line of work and time is of the essence to me: once you are used to the CIR it is incredibly quick and reliable, but you do need to get used to its idiosyncrasies.

I reckon that if the wind is blowing in the right direction the entire process can be done in 20-25 seconds or so.

However it is not that great for mending damaged perfs. Or maybe I'm just too ham-fisted???

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 24, 2008 03:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bart

The CIR can be used for repairing damaged perfs but it's very time consuming if there is a considerable length of damage.

There's always the dilemma of doing the repairs, or just junking the damaged section and making one nice clean join. I suppose it depends on the amount of damage and what you are prepared to lose if you do the latter.

--------------------
Maurice

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2008 05:01 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice,

It seems difficult using the CIR for perf damage as getting the fold-over right seems near impossible to me. What method do you use/suggest?

Thanks,

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 24, 2008 06:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bart

I just cut a small amount off the roll of tape with a pair of scissors and apply only to the perfs, then perforate and cut in the usual way.

I only do the one side and slowly progress with small sections until the job is completed.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2008 09:17 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when glue splicers (cement) were all three formats?

Well, that continues sort of.

Anybody like myself who has a classic Ciro 16mm professional splicer can easily do standard 8mm repairs. You might want to switch down to 8mm wide tape, and the procedure is slightly different. Peel and press one side, then in a dual procedure lift the film off the matrix with the one side already applied. Then with your fingers, bend the other half of tape under the film and press to complete the splice.

You might find it easier to look for the 16mm version, rather than the very rare 8mm standard 8 version.

Just a thought and I can tell you it works just fine.

CG

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith,
I was watching that!!! So your the culprit! Well done mate [Smile] You got yourself a bargain there. Re-list with good photos hosted by photobucket, so there nice and big, have it finish Sunday at 9pm and you'll make between 50-70 sobs. I'll then sell you mine for 50 notes and your still be in profit! [Big Grin]

Bart,
I am ham fisted, that's why i use the CIR, cement use to get everywhere apart from the sodding film.

My first CIR was 50p!!!

[Razz]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2008 10:35 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris, I can feel an "enterprising business" forming here! I was bidding on the one that you won last week, so I am sorry to say this but, "revenge is sweet". Only joking of course [Razz]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 08:33 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case Keith you owe me Ten quid. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 04:43 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my plastic CIR super 8 about 15 years ago from a boot sale for £2.50.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 26, 2008 05:13 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think i have ever used the Widescreen centre, ive always found there prices to be from Mars although i am sure the products they sell are top of the range, but like the CIR splicer, items you can buy anywhere else always seem to be way over inflated in comparison,
Also, despite everyone saying what wonderfull people the Shapp's are, my Brother paid the shop a visit whilst he was in London some years back, (in the cine haydays) and he was all but blanked, they made nothing of how far up he came, they wernt busy at that time and i guess because he wasnt from the millionairs club they seemed that everything he asked was simply too much trouble.
If only only knew how much he took with him to treat himself to a good new sound cine camera that day, maybe, just maybe they would have a little politer.
Anyway, in view of the topic, i'd say, yeah, that is a joke, look around mate. [Wink]

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 06:03 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, despite everyone saying what wonderfull people the Shapp's are, my Brother paid the shop a visit whilst he was in London some years back, (in the cine haydays) and he was all but blanked, they made nothing of how far up he came, they wernt busy at that time and i guess because he wasnt from the millionairs club they seemed that everything he asked was simply too much trouble.
Typical shopkeepers in this country. I go mad at them, and her indoors walks away in embarrassment. If they were a shop in the USA they would never have lasted with that attitude, so why do we put up with it. Think I'll phone them and ask them if their serious about the price and then tell them about Keith s £24 bargain and my £44 deal on METAL! [Big Grin]

I'm not aloud say what i feel about this sort of thing, because i'll get told off, but it rhymes with Bankers! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 26, 2008 06:56 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve got a great little Prinz( budget I suppose ) tape splicer Mark mander very kindly gave me with good tape still in and I love it, quite straight froward, and very good splices, anyone know if you can still get the tape for these please. Thanks.
Best Mark.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 10:56 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you tend to find in this country is that as soon as you enter the shop, you are pounced on by a pimply faced youth and when you ask a "technical question" (like "how old are you - do you have a brain?") they disappear very quickly. Product knowledge and courtesy rarely exist in the retail trade, these days. All they are interested in is selling you "breakdown insurance". I bought an MP4 player for my daughter - paid £24.00 for it and was asked if I would like "insurance" on it. The cost £30.00 - get real!

[ October 26, 2008, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 26, 2008 02:00 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, glad im not alone on this, have to say though that if a CIR splicer can be bought for £50 or under i'll keep my eyes peeled,
I often belive if you walk in somewhere like w/screen centre and your either very well known to them or kitted up with a posh suite they'll lick your arse and bend over backwards but if your in jeans and T shirt you'r judged from first looks,
As any proffesional buisness person know's this could be a costley mistake. [Wink]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 04:56 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think we should be making comments about the widescreen centre like this. Ive always found them to be friendly and they always have a tub of sweets on the counter [Smile] . Yes their prices can be expensive on certain items, but we should all thank them for keeping cine going. For myself they make it easy for me to buy and develop films such as Ectachrome, Single 8, Plus X, Tri X. I dont have to mess around contacting other labs for developing, I can just take them in the shop and job done. Films, developing costs, empty reels are all at reasonable prices and where else can I buy them easily.

Like I said the WC has kept film making going for many years and we should not be stabbing them in the back, because when they close shop for good its another nail in the coffin for cine.

Graham S

P.S. I think the nottingham shop has closed but the london branch is still open I think. I did buy empty reels before what came in boxes but not lately. Some reels now do not have boxes and are expensive for the reels alone.

I also realise there is bristol cine but they dont develop!. Their reels are cheaper though.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Graham, I wouldn't like to stab anyone in the back, i was just surprised at the price they wanted for a plastic CIR, when only 3 years ago it was 29 quid. Still i am sure they have a good reason for asking that kind of money, what it is I'm still trying to work out. [Confused]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 02:09 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand,I find the Fujica splicer does great work.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC