8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 7500 repair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 7500 repair
Raymond J. Santoro
Junior

- posted October 23, 2008 09:00 PM      Profile for Raymond J. Santoro   Email Raymond J. Santoro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay friends, I'm praying someone out there can help. Today I received a Chinon 7500 sound projector from someone on eBay. He has 100% positive feedback so I don't think he was trying to scam me- anyway, the projector arrived today, it looks practically new. I plugged it in and everything seemed fine BUT: when I turned the knob the "thread" and "forward" and... NOTHING! I tried reverse and also nothing. No movement, just a hum sound coming on. I let it sit for a bit, tried it again, and it slowly went forward at maybe 6 fps. I threaded it and it played VERY VERY slowly, then came to a stop. Now I have about 5 feet of film stuck in it. When I advance the knob to forward and reverse the lamp comes on. When I switch from 18 to 24fps, the hum gets a little higher pitched, but no engine movement.

Any ideas? I really wanted this projector to record some sound-on-sound. Does anyone repair these without it costing hundreds of dollars? I'm really feeling down at this point. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks;

Raymond

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 23, 2008 09:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Raymond,

Projectors that have been sitting around for a long time can very often be helped with a good cleaning and a set of belts.

When you look inside the machine, is the belt(s) in good shape, or broken, cracked, or decomposed?

Does the motor spin?

I like this guy for belts:

http://cgi.ebay.c om/Super-8-CHINON-4000GL-7500GL-Projector-Belt-Motor-Belt_W0QQitemZ260303680173QQihZ016QQcategoryZ15255QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You should talk to him about it to firm up if this is exactly what you need. I don't know Chinons very well, so I can't be sure.

Tucson, eh? I used to come there a couple of times a year to work at the company's factory on West Drexel Road. I miss the chance to be there.

Here's a film review I wrote that might interest you:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000140

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raymond, if you paid with PayPal, i'd ask for a refund. The 7500 has one main metal round spring type belt that pretty much controls the whole thing. Pretty hard to get a replacement for that type of belt as far as I know. I already bought a second 7500 off eBay that was listed as "mint"...it turned out to be a burned out piece of crap, and I ended up shipping it to PayPal, and getting a full refund. Good Luck! p.s. the 7500 is excellent for recording sound on sound, providing it's in working order. I bought mine new in 1979 and used it heavily, a very good machine when everything's in working order. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC