8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm prices

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm prices
John Edwards
Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 08:51 AM      Profile for John Edwards     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have recently picked up nice copy of(footlight parade)2x400 for £18.00 from a 8mm dealer and have seen another dealer selling same at £45.00do they know about the credit crunch? that seems a lot of doe for a 2x400. i think the average price would be around £20-22 i suppose its what your willing to pay.J.E [Frown]

--------------------
theatre is live film is art television is furniture.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 09:25 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There’s often talk about what second hand films are worth and the bottom line has to be; it’s what someone is prepared to pay for them.

If a dealer appears to be overpricing their films then one can only assume that they won’t make many sales and will have to re-list the films at a lower price.

On the other hand, if they are selling at that price – then someone is prepared to pay the higher price and the dealer’s gamble has paid off.

If you find one cheaper you’ve got yourself a bargain!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and then there's the double edged sword for the buyer.

Say you see the title you MUST have, but it has a very inflated price. You decide to wait and see if the seller lowers his price.

The only problem (worry) you have to deal with is whether some other person who also wants it, finds it, and so something that you may have waited quite awhile for could go to someone else because you may be kind of cheap.

That happened to me once, and ended up having to wait an extra year for the same title to pop up, and thankfully, it was less, but it was frusrating, none the less.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes..I think Osi has something there....in this hobby...if you really are looking for something and it does not come up for sale very often, if ever, and you finally find it...you probably need to strike while the iron is hot and get it....especially if the price is not totally outrageous and the print condition and quality are acceptable. Otherwise, you regret it for a long time if the film doesn't show up again.
This assumes you can safely afford to part with the money without undue harm to you or your family. For many collectors , it's not a case of lack of money, it's unwillingness to part with it.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2008 12:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your quite right Gary!

Nine times out of ten, it's not whether I want the print, it's how can I justify spending all this money to the family.

Sometimes it's easy, (like buying the BEN HUR scope feature for 200.00, the wife saying, "It's about time you got a religious picture!", and that price ... YAHOO!!)

The more complete the collection, however, hopefully, the more money you can set aside for film purchases, as your money's not going left and right snatching up all these yummy celluloid goodies.

"Aw, but honey, but I like Battlestar Galactica!"

"Don't honey me! Diapers!!!"

diapers over treasured film prints! How the life changes!
I have unfortunately found that you cann't diaper a baby with celuloid!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 26, 2008 12:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, but FilmGuard is pretty good for the occasional rash. [Big Grin]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 26, 2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that in the current economic climate, most dealers are more than usually flexible.

You want to buy the print - they want to sell the print!

-Mike

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 08:34 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem that dealers with premises and who employ staff have is that they need to make a profit to remain in business. Also VAT is added to all sales in the UK so it will inflate the price. The small "cottage industry" dealers who work from their homes have much less overheads but still pay VAT. However you know that their reputation rests on the quality of the products they sell and that they check all films and grade them so you know what you are getting. When buying from private sellers on ebay it is cheaper but can be more risky as you never know what you are getting. There are one or two sellers on ebay who I have bought from on a number of occasions who I will bid up quite high amounts for their items, as I have always found that the quality of their prints is excellent. Then there are the box collectors. As a 16mm collector I am used to prints being in cans, fibre cases or cardboard library boxes (the best for storage). Therefore I have no problem with Super 8 releases being sold in plastic reels and cans or plain white boxes. However films in original boxes (especially those awful plastic clamshell things that stop the film breathing and turn the prints red) sell for higher prices regardless of how scratched or faded they are. Still, they look very pretty on the shelf. [Roll Eyes]

Paul.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul ...

The way of rating films by dealers can sometimes be suspect, not that they attempt to be dishonest, but they're assessment of "A" quality may be the condition of the film print, (scratches, splices ect.) but may have nothing to do with the color or lack of it, as I have ran into a couple of times.

I would much rather run into a film print with an occasional splice, than a print in "A" condition, but faded color, especially if I'm not expecting it.

--------------------

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think seller greed also enters the equation.

Recently there was a 16mm print of the entire Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe on E-Bay. I was the highest bidder at, I think, $280. However it didn't make the reserve. When I contacted the sellers and offered $300 they indicated that they were looking for $500. It was then relisted at $499 and didn't sell. I've since spent the $300 on other things - like food - so even if they come back to me I won't be buying it.

A bird in the hand...

Stewart

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 29, 2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just perusing an american website of a dealer mentioned on this forum, so I won't mention his name, not that there's anything inherantly wrong with the guy, I personally like him, but he is a little unrealistic.

I have been searching for a good color print of "Popeye Meets Ali Baba" (400ft Popeye cartoon), and he happened to have one, but it had a price tag of 49.00 and it said "slight color fade", well I was curious, since he is quite reliable for good prints, perhaps this fade is almost non-existent. He was very honest and said that though the film stock is not marked, it is a Niles print and it has a "purplish" hue to the whole print.

Well heck, my print is in the same condition, (and a Niles print as well), and I wouldn't pay 5.00 dollars for a "purplish" print, and yet he wants 49.00 dollars? That's being highly unrealistic.

Most sellers are quite reliable. In some cases I have NEVER gotten a bum print from some collectors, and in fact, films in better condition than expected.

Derann, for instance, ALWAYS over-estimates the fade on they're films. When I hear "fade" I automatically assume that it's about 35 or more percent gone. With Derann, fade only means, (from what I have seen), maybe ten percent fade or so, so I'm always pleased with a "faded" print from Derann.

--------------------

Jeff Chaney
Junior

- posted November 30, 2008 02:44 AM      Profile for Jeff Chaney   Email Jeff Chaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree...There was a seller on ebay listing some old rock films that I was interested in picking up (one of them being a 16mm Rude Boy)but they had crazy reserve prices on all of them. I never found out the reserve on this one but they wanted $799 for a faded country rock film so I figure they were looking for more than a thousand for the Clash film.
But clearly the most bizarre prices have to be found from this seller Televista StoreCheers
Dino

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the 2 short years I have been in the 16mm collecting area, I am wondering if what I am seeing is right:

That you have four markets: the morass of beaten-up educational films and bottom-of-the barrel B movies for a relative pittance, Eastman-ruined features for deceptive prices, B/W prints still available for semi-resonable money and, finally, what I would call "good prints" being sold for $1000-$2000+. Anything Technicolor of course tends to wind up in the top category.

I am guessing that, me being late to the game, the middle-market of really good quality color prints has vanished in favor of the "If you have to ask the price..." approach.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2008 03:19 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

That must be the US outlet of this guy RobecPictures. He's got some great stuff, but the prices are incredible.

Claus,

I've been collecting 16mm for about three years. I decided that going for top notch features just isn't feasible, so I decided to focus on shorts and old cartoons. Although my friends think I'm mad paying nearly $100 for Betty Boop cartoons!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 30, 2008 03:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are exceptions ...

For instance, I saw a print that Dan lail was selling of a very nice Kodachrome 16MM print of some western film, and it didn't go for all that much, so there are bargains to be found, but I will admit that they are fewer and far between.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC