8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The (rare) early horror genre (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The (rare) early horror genre
Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2012 03:56 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes the Criterion releases are incredible. no match for smaller gauges. I mentioned the Franju film Eyes Without A Face, because I remember it being very creepy and artful.

I know Fall of the House of Usher directed by Jean Epstein is a bleak and artful silent in the 8mm gauge. That I'd like to get someday.

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 08, 2012 04:30 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,someone was selling on ebay, a little film that would sit
quite happily in your horror collection entitled "Sparrows".
The film was reviewed by William K. Everson in his book "Classics
of the Horror Film" and he tells of an incident at a showing of
the film in New York,when a child exited the cinema post haste
followed by it's mother,both did not return.The story concerns
the running of a baby farm in the swamplands of what looked
like the Everglades,it starred Mary Pickford,and as Mr Everson
observed,if a film made in 1926 can have that effect in 1973
what must it have had when first released.Another one you
might look out for is the 1928 "The Man Who Laughs".

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2012 08:37 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Thunderbird print of VAMPYR I had was sound, I assume Niles made the silent prints. it's true that there is little dialog and a fair amount of text on screen in VAMPYR, but just as Dreyer was visually innovative, he also put some neat touches into the soundtrack. Weather it's the squeaking drill being used to seal the coffin from the corpses point of view, or the shadows of ghosts dancing merrily to a fiddler's jig, not to mention the dirge-like music that sustains a general ominous tone throughout.

I didn't know Epstein's HOUSE OF USHER was on 8mm. I love that one too, and recommend it to anyone who likes VAMPYR.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy yes Usher was put out in a 5 reel version from Glenn Photo Supply

David I would recommend you pick up the Griggs' print of The Golem which is excellent, and you would probably enjoy Fritz Lang's Woman in The Moon that was put out by Cine-Service.....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2012 12:19 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched this one: F. W. Murnau's The Haunted Castle. Although the title proclaims the castle as haunted, IMDB doesn't classify it as horror .... flummoxing!

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2012 07:42 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HAUNTED CASTLE is anything but haunted I'm afraid. It's disappointing for film by the man who gave us NOSFERATU and FAUST. It's actually a pretty tepid mystery/morality play that's a cinch to figure out, and not particularly atmospheric, or very interesting. Even the crime at hand happened before the film begins. Were it not a Murnau film, I doubt it would get much, if any attention today.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC