8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can we spray the projector with WD40?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can we spray the projector with WD40?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 21, 2009 09:52 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I lately hear very hard noise when my ST1200 running the film. The noise like the mechanical parts need grease/fat.

Unfortunately, I cannot see which part of mechanic does have a problem due to the complex system inside the projector.

I am thinking to do random spraying with WD40.

1. Will WD40 cure the problem?

2. Is it harm for the circuit board, eg short circuit?

3. If it is not recommended, what other spray can be used (I kenw there is a spray saves for circuit board, i.e. contact cleaner, but I don't think it will cure the mechanical issues)

thanks for your help

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2009 01:43 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive that you should not use any kind of spray. Read the manual for proper lubrication.

[ September 26, 2018, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: Antonis Galanakis ]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2009 03:29 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not yet had any problems using a bit of WD40 in projectors. However, if the ST1200 is similar to the GS1200 in the 'big-end' knocking noise it can make at times when it sounds like the whole thing is going to shake apart, you'll find it's just the main belt causing it. Where it's been sitting in the same position unused for a while it can settle into a shape that causes the projector to 'knock'. A smidgin' of grease round the inside of the belt sorts it out.

However, I don't know the ST1200 so hopefully my response will spur someone more knowlegeable on these machines to give you a definite answer.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 22, 2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, although it is recommended to use the proper lubricant (see maintenance manual), you can start by using silicon-based lubricant on all plastic parts and lithium-based lubricant on all metal parts.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2009 05:46 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using WD-40 for years on my Elmo ST1200HD and my projector has not suffered the fate of the Wicked Witch of the West.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40 is also good for cleaning the plastic exterior parts of your car and cleaning film. [Wink] In fact WD40 is a bit of a odds jobs man. Its Magic!!!

Id spray away, belts are relatively cheap anyway, but i don't think they will come to any harm. [Roll Eyes] Of course I would always endorse using the proper recommended grease, sometimes. [Big Grin]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted April 24, 2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What !!! spray away in to the back of the machine. Heck I wouldn`t.
There are a few simple things to suss first.
A member here had very rough running ST until Kev F, re-set the rubber rollers just a bit I believe and hey presto.
Drive belt first, then look at th rubber rollers and then specificaly go through the areas that may need oil.
I`d really think twice about just spraying away in the back, and if it affects your rubber rollers that run on the shutter you really could be up a creek.
Best Mark.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 24, 2009 09:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonis, is right I would not spray WD40 in the back of that projector or any other one come to think of it [Roll Eyes] best bet...one or two small drops of light oil on the main shaft bearings and a drop on the claw pivot point, you could work in a small amount of grease on that pivot point as well, apart from that only use the proper grease on the "cam"... where the claw runs in.

Spraying WD40 [Eek!] will loosen and wash of that very important "cam grease" etc, in other words the first time you use your projector your old grease will fly of everywhere "one big mess" on the belts and on the two speed 18/24 "rubber" drive bearings [Eek!] that in turn could cause real problems in time. I have a ST1200 thats 34 years old I have owned it 30 of those years with no problems, only use what is recommended and only a minimum amount at that.

Graham.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2009 11:57 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case anyone else takes me too seriously. I would use WD40 myself, although using the straw and targeting certain areas that may benefit from the magic fluid. I wouldn’t endorse spraying the whole projector. [Eek!] So when i say spray away, i am thinking spray away with some common sense.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 25, 2009 03:24 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do many of you use it to clean film??

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2009 03:29 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's ideal for 16mm and 35mm film treatment if suffering from shrinkage, warping or vinegar syndrome. Tests by members of this forum have shown success with 8mm film too.

I can't imagine a bit of WD40 on the moving parts of a projector are going to do any damage - quite the contrary in fact. I've used it to track down knocking and whining in GS1200's very successfully several times.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 25, 2009 05:45 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the bad noise you get in an ST1200 is caused by the rubber drive rollers either being worn or out of alignment with the shutter edge. Loosen the two large screws holding the drive wheel assembly and then move the assembly while running to get the least noise.

Keep WD40 away from the rubber surfaces as you will end up with slippage etc but you can use it safely on any metal or nylon parts. Be aware though that WD40 is not long lasting on moving parts so really a good lubricant should be used. Silicon based is good.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 26, 2009 11:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys thanks for the words,

But now I got confused.

I am not a tech guy, I am just enjoying 8mm. [Razz]

Moreover, my English is not that good too, so when you are talking about one or two parts, they have different terms in Indonesia.

So, to make it easy just do what my kid do on his room.

below is the picture of the inside of ST1200. I marked down A,B,C etc.. till H.

-

Kevin, it seems you know better the parts should I grease/oil... which is that? A? B? or H?

Lastly, Will Singer Oil (for sewing machine) cure the problem?

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2009 02:06 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Singer oil (for sewing machine) is one of the best lubricants ever. High quality, thin and nice smelling. Use just some drops. Avoid contact with belt areas.
Try to find an instruction manual. Go "by the book".
Good luck!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 27, 2009 04:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
A,B,D,H are the only parts which should be greased. Keep grease well away from C,E,F and any other rubber parts such as drive belts.

Check the rubber drive rollers (C). These should be clean and sitting against the shutter edge squarely. These rubber drive rollers can get noisy when warn and over some years the rubber deteriorates and beomes sticky.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 27, 2009 10:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev, you are very helpful

quote:
Check the rubber drive rollers (C). These should be clean and sitting against the shutter edge squarely.
The noise on my projector will be heard after running in 5 minutes. After I rest the projector for 10 minutes, I can play it again because the noise is gone. It will last for another 5 minutes and the noise will again come.

Is that symptom because of the belt is not sitting properly?

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 28, 2009 06:47 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would inspect those rubber drive rollers. They can become noisy from the heat generated in that area from the lamp.

Kev.

--------------------

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2009 07:01 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have restored a number of ST1200 machines.

The plastic gearing and main worm gear do not require 'extensive' lubrication - and too much lubricant will get into places you dont want ( like the rubber wheel that spins the flywheel up to speed when projection commences )

I am not sure what noise you are hearing, however the Idler Roller ( F ) can make a 'buzzing' or 'groaning' noise at times - you can operate the projector with the rear cover removed to better identify the source of the noise.

If it is not the Idler Roller I would need to know where the sound is originating in order to comment more precisely. The Intermittent unit itself creates the most 'drag' on the system and it could be that it needs to be cleaned/lubricated - I know that each ST1200 I have restored has needed this in order to operate smoothly.

If you had a belt with a 'flat spot' or some other problem then the sound would be prominent at all times, not commence after a few minutes and go away after a 10 minute rest - so I doubt its a belt problem.

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2009 01:42 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the different compositions of various types of lubricants and the aim they go for I would never consider WD-40 as a lubricant and use it as such.
You can get hydrocarbon lubricants with different chain lengths; the shorter the chains of the molecules the more fluid your lubricant will be: long chains - grease, short chains - oil. WD-40 has very short chains so it can creep into crevices and do its job there; the short chain lengths of WD-40 is the reason why it smells so strong, the molecules get volatile.
In a projector you will find gears, chains, shafts, etc. that all need lubrication and depending on how fast the parts move on each other, what material they are made of and how the type of loading is you will find different types of lubricant. And WD-40 is not one of them: it is so thin that it does not stay in place for long enough; so in the start it might be able to solve your noise problem but in the long run you will end up with extra wear as WD-40 has not the consistency to create a thick enough layer between moving parts to protect them from each other.
So please for the sake of coming generations who also want to be able to use your projector: use a proper - the right lubricant!

--------------------
Alex

Phillip Black
Junior

- posted April 30, 2009 01:04 PM      Profile for Phillip Black   Email Phillip Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi don't know what the effect on projectors might be but a film dealer who used to operate in england would clean film with wd40 and claimed that it was the only way to stop films that had been over cleaned with film renew chattering in the gate. Never used it myself but didnt have any problems with the films he supplied.

--------------------
Phillip Black

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2009 11:01 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure Brad will chime in here and point at his posts regarding the problems associated with using WD-40 for lubricating/cleaning film - but the short answer is dont do it.

FilmGuard is what I use for regular cleaning and lubrication, and it works amazingly well.

FilmRenew is great for cleaning gunk from film, however it is so strong it will loosen tape splices and deteriorates plastic reels.

I also agree that WD-40 is best used for freeing stuck/rusted parts, and subsequently cleaned off so that the proper 'grease' may be used for lubrication. WD-40 is not a lubricant, the WD stands for water displacement. I wouldnt use it on any of my films or projectors. When I lubricate the gearing inside a projector ( after it has been disassembled and cleaned ) I always use grease, and usually one with Teflon that is compatible with plastics.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2009 03:12 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone post or e-mail me some online stores for buying Film Guard and Film Renew?
Thanking you in advance

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 02, 2009 03:18 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Filmguard in the UK:

www.fosterfilms.co.uk

For Filmrenew from Larry Urbanski in the US:

www.urbanskifilm.com

but, as far as I know Wittner in Europe no longer have Filmrenew and it cannot be shipped from the US since they stopped surface mail.You'll have trouble getting it, I reckon.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Michael,
thank you very much for the complete answer. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC