8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Silent Standard 8mm / Super8 Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silent Standard 8mm / Super8 Projector
David Ian Turner
Junior

- posted July 11, 2009 03:36 AM      Profile for David Ian Turner   Email David Ian Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Some years ago I inherited from my Grandfather a lot of Standard 8mm and Super8 film dating back as far as the mid 1940s. The Standard 8mm black and white film is not in good condition and some of it is starting to smell a bit. However the Standard 8mm and Super8 colour film appears to be in excellent condition after 60 years (admittedly it is not shown very often). I also inherited an Agfa Movexoom 2000 Super8 camera and a Sankyo Dualux 1000H projector. My cousin has expressed interest in taking over the film that concentrates on his side of the family. So I have decided to give hime those films and the Sankyo projector. In order to do this I need to obtain a good second-hand silent dual format projector for myself. There are a lot of projectors available on ebay here in Australia but there does not appear to be much information on the internet on the which models are silent, and more importantly which brands and models were well made as these are the ones I should concentrate on. It is also very difficult when you cannot see the projector operating and thus have to rely on the description from the seller.

I have joined this forum in order to seek help from your experience. Can anyone offer some guidance to me, please?

Thank you

David Turner

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 04:15 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome David.

If you are looking on ebay, read my ebay guide "How to buy a Super 8 Movie projector". I think you will find it useful; thousands of others have as it now ranks in the top 100 reviews!

If you have any more questions after reading it, please ask me. The information is from an Australian and world perspective with regards to brands and features.

How To Buy A Super 8 Movie Projector

David

[ July 12, 2009, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: David Kilderry ]

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a link to that guide David?

Thank you

Jon

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 10:39 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have added it now in the above post Jon.

David

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 11:09 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice guide David, thank you for the link.

Jon

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 11:36 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon. It is meant as a basic guide as I had many of these questions asked by people wanting to copy film or simply enjoy how movies used to be run at home before tape and disc.

It has been read by over 30,000 people now (if you include the same version on ebay Australia) so there certainly seems to be interest in Super 8 even in 2009.

There is also a sister version I wrote called How To Buy A Super 8 Movie Camera

David

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2009 01:29 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to the members on this thread,,
I have to agree that Davids guide to buying a movie projector is excellent. All buyers of movie projectors should read it before actually buying a projector.
My suggested projectors for buyers looking amongst the dual 8 silent machines are, Titan Trimatic IQ, Titan MP 350, Sankyo 2000H & 1000H, Elmo GP-E, Elmo K-1000 & K-1100, Chinon 2000GL, Chinon C-100, C-200, C-300.
These are the most reliable and best quality & value from the popular dual 8 silents with reostatic variable speed control.
Why buy some weird unknown brand when these great projectors are readily available. You can't go wrong with any of these above.
My favourites are the Sankyo 2000H & Elmo K-1100, both with Slow Motion speed range down to 4fps.
dogtor pufferfish [Smile]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

David Ian Turner
Junior

- posted July 14, 2009 07:09 AM      Profile for David Ian Turner   Email David Ian Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your input.
Thank you, David, for the link to your Guide on ebay.
Thank you also, Frank, for your suggestions regarding models to look at that are available in Australia.
I appreciate the help
Regards
David Ian Turner

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC