8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question About Birth Of A Nation (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question About Birth Of A Nation
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 10:52 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The dimensions on that box are 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8". The 7" diameter reels will not fit in 5-3/8" width. That is 1-5/8" short of making it.
Dan, I have found my old thread and I did make a mistake. I should say Priority Mail International™ Flat-Rate Envelope which is 12-1/2" x 9-1/2". But the cost is almost the same.

To avoid taking this thread become out of topic, I have made a new thread regarding postage here:
The inexpensive way to ship films from USA to worldwide

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In case you send only the 7 reels, I believe it will fit on the Priority Mail Flat Rate Box which is only $12.95 from USA to anywhere in the world (to max 4 pounds). Check here: http://ircalc.usps.gov/popups/PMI_SmallFlatRateBox_help.htm

Winbert, you stated box not envelope. [Smile] Your link shows the box with the dimensions. There is also a
$12.95 envelope, but I stopped shipping films in them because they sometimes get torn open. I tried using two envelopes by fitting one inside the other making it twice as thick, but still had tear problems during shipping.

Christian, there is no sound stripe. [Eek!]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 12:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I would want any film reels shipped across the atlantic in an envelope. I wouldn't even be particularly happy to ship domestically in an envelope, following a tearing incident a few years back.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's too bad, I have the DVD and was hoping I could use the music from there [Wink]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 01:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure I would want any film reels shipped across the atlantic in an envelope
Michael, the envelope used by the USPS is not the paper envelope like we normally use. It is made from board (hard paper) but not as thick as a cardboard. But certainly for inexpensive films (like I normally deal with) this service is reliable. And more importantly, the original box of the film itself (cardboard or plastic case) sent together with the films is already strong enough to protect the films.

Dan, to avoid any tear during transit, you can hardened it with sellotape along the edge of envelope. But you are the seller then you decide.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 01:34 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooops...sorry [Big Grin]

I thought you were describing a Jiffybag type envelope!!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 01:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's OK Michael.

This is the USPS link for the said envelope http://ircalc.usps.gov/PopUps/intlPriorityMail_FlatRateEnv_help.htm

and as I wrote in the other thread:

quote:
The Priority Mail International™ Flat-Rate Envelope has a dimension 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" so quite possible to cater 7" reel. The max weight is allowed in this envelope is 4 lbs. The cost is $12.75 (online) or $13.45 (post office) to anywhere in the world (That includes Zimbabwe in Africa or Tubuai in Pacific...amazing!!).
So can you see how economical this USPS service is? I have tried to put 8 200" with OB in this envelope and they sit nicely...so practically it will cost only $13 to Zimbabwe, Burkina Faso, North Korea.. ..or even Falkland islands ... [Wink]

I cannot find any cheaper international postage service in any other countries. (Not to mention USPS Media Mail for domestic users...well this is a heaven for Vinyl and Film collectors. The USA residents are the lucky ones ) [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 02:05 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, now that I see what you're talking about, I actually received an 800ft short on a core in such an envelope from the US.
It seemed pretty safe, though I was somewhat surprised when I actually received it.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 02:53 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Box good. Envelope bad. [Big Grin]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we have settled on the box then [Wink]

Dan, is there anything more to know about the reel other than what is in the auction info?

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 02:59 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can put teak wood surrounding the reels in order to protect it and place it together inside the said envelope, as long as the total weight is not more than 4 lbs, the envelope is still good though [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, teak wood good. [Big Grin]

I think the description covers it. It still will not fit in a $12.95 box. It will not fit in one $12.95 envelope either.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2010 01:37 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, is it true that after a few years Griffith then sold off "Birth" to states rights, not relising it would make a few more fortunes by the end of the twenties?

David

[ January 05, 2010, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: David Kilderry ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC