8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ESC BULB

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ESC BULB
Dan Mollise
Junior

- posted January 04, 2010 07:45 PM      Profile for Dan Mollise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This bulb subject has been discussed here, but I found this listed at replacementlightbulbs.com It is an ESC bulb and this is the description - "This lamp is for super 8 film projection. Due to the special spiral geometry, the specific mirror shape and the mounting position of the filament in the mirror that concentrates light bulb its better suited for the small picture window of a super 8 projector. In 16mm devices this can lead to a "hot spot" in the middle. EJL and ELC lamps are often used in 16mm projection and when you substitute the EJL for the ESC the broader distribution of the EJL light will concentrate less light on the 8mm film leading to a darker image on the screen." The bulbs are $14.95 with an avg. lifespan of 25 hours. Is this preferable to the EJL I now use?

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2010 04:26 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ESC was developed specifically for Super 8 so yes, it's preferable to EJL. Beware though that some lamps have been manufactured in recent years with an ESC label that are actually EJL's.

Bart stocks the current genuine ESC's so perhaps he can give better advice than I. Over to you Bart...

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2010 10:47 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, the site you mention is managed by a Ron Miller. Both names are new to me, as also is the manufacturer he lists for this ESC bulb - Donar.

Yes, a genuine ESC should be brighter than an EJL. Fujilamp has recently manufactured some of these but I've yet to find a stateside distributor. Wouldn't it be great if Ron Miller's $15 price could extend to a new Fujilamp ESC?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC