8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I need help with my projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need help with my projector
Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks!
Last nigth i was showing my print of winchester 73 on my chinon ss-1000,the show end well and the public was very glad and clapping at the end...i was very happy!!. This morning when i put the projector on to see a short the speed suddenly change to almost 22 fps.First of all i was thinking maybe was a belt problem so i quit the belt and i can hear that the motor speed was better but with small acelerations every two second..something like a little motorbike when you speed up and down.The motor of the machine is a dc magnetic motor and i dont know if is electronically controlled or not.I recently lube all the parts and i keep the wheels of the inside of the machine with a little play so i dont think is a lubing problem for now.Can someone of our experts help me ,please.This is the machine i normaly use to dubbing into spanish my films because once you set up the speed it still in sync until the end of the reel and i dont want to loose it because sentimental reason... was my first projector,a present of christmas day from mom when i was a little and film lover child...so i hope anyone can help me with this.thanks a lot again and pardon my poor write english and way of explanation...im still learning the beautiful english lenguaje.

Jose.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

|  IP: Logged

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 11:39 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are often one or two of five faults:
- defective 18 / 24 switch,
- clamping carbons in DC-motor,
- defective motor speed control circuit,
- Collector of motor coated with dried up grease or oil,
- uneven run due to crack in one gear (seldom on chinon SS-1000) or high motor current due to lack of oil or grease in bearings,

Turn + /- pitch in both direction to ensure that pot is not concerned

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2010 03:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose, I have a Chinon 330 which has exactly the same problem. Although I am not an electrician but I was dare enough to open the back cover and play with the tiny pots for speeding adjustment. It cures the problem..... but..the up and down motor turning does sometime to re-appear. But I just left it for a minute and it will return to normal again.

I guess there something has given up at the circuit board which give supply power to the motor.

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 06:34 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again and thanks for the help folks

"there are often one or two of five faults:
- defective 18 / 24 switch,
- clamping carbons in DC-motor,
- defective motor speed control circuit,
- Collector of motor coated with dried up grease or oil,
- uneven run due to crack in one gear (seldom on chinon SS-1000) or high motor current due to lack of oil or grease in bearings,

Turn + /- pitch in both direction to ensure that pot is not concerned "
Joseph thanks alot for your advice i will try to go one point to point and try to locate the fault,the speed pitch is in good state the motor respond to it ,the gear was broken years ago but was replaced with a new one so i must try your other advices.

Winbert thanks a lot for your advice too, i will try to find the little spot to change the speed but i dont know if the ss-1000 have it or not,anyway thanks a lot friends!

Jose

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2010 06:35 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how all projectors, no matter the make or model, can work flawlessly one minute, then stop working the next. We've all been there.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2010 08:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jose,

My Chinon has 3pots actually. One for 24 fps, another one for 18 fps and the last one which I don't know. But it seems if that particular pot is adjusted +/- there also some changes to the motor.

I cannot understand what this is for. Can someone explain?

--------------------
Winbert

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 08:59 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not recommend manipulation on pots.
It does not cure the problem and good adjustment of speed will be disadjusted.
If you disadjust the wrong pot the bias of amp can be affected.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 13, 2010 09:04 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Really I would suggest that the cause of the problem should be rectified instead of adjusting the speed pot. If the cause is not found it will probably get worse regardless of the speed control position.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC