8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » odd ST 1200 problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: odd ST 1200 problem
Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2010 06:40 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes when I run a film through my ST 1200, the picture will wonder in the frame so much that the sprocket holes will show up on the screen. I will take the same film and apply filmguard and the wonder goes away.

Anyone have any idea why the "dry" film will wonder [Confused]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats pretty severe 'weave' if you see the sprockets .. Im assuming you are seeing 'part' of the sprocket and not the entire hole - if you are seeing the entire hole them something is drastically wrong with your gate.

As it is, Id guess the gate tension is to blame - IF - this happens with ALL films. If it only happens to one particular film then it may be an issue with only that print and not your projector.

Its always a good idea to ensure the film is properly lubricated whenever you project, and FilmGuard is a terrific lubricant and cleaner.

There is no means to tension the gate on the ST1200 other than disassembling the pressure plate form the gate and 'stretching' the springs longer by hand - but be very careful and make sure the springs are re-installed properly ( I believe one end is narrower than the other )

If you dont feel comfortable working on the projector then you can send it to me and I will be happy to tune it up for you .. ST1200's are my specialty.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2010 10:46 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to be with all films unless lubed. And yes, it is only part of the sprocket showing.

Although there seems to be plenty of pressure with the gate, I'll try to stretch the springs a bit in order to add more pressure to the gate. If I can't make the problem go away, I may have to make a road trip to Menlo Park [Razz]

BTW, I just got done screening a LOT more film. A Girl and Her Trust, & Boobs in the Woods both were "dry" and wondered in the gate...Our Gang Little Daddy was lubed and was rock steady. Then the rest of the shorts & feature we watched were all lubed and were rock steady.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 13, 2010 11:05 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne,

A Girl and Her Trust, & Boobs in the Woods must always be lubed, especially if they wonder in the gate. [Big Grin]

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2010 11:34 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure your gate is clean.

The side guides especially need attention otherwise you will experience weave and jitter. There are guides above and below the aperture on both sides of the film path. The guides on the opposite side of the claw are spring loaded; it is essential that these are completely free of debris and move easily.

While it probably will not affect the film registration at the gate, the entire film path around the magnetic heads must likewise be kept as clean as possible. Sometimes debris can become trapped in the pressure pads above the mag heads - pay close attention to this area.

If after cleaning the gate properly the weave still remains with 'dry' prints - I suppose the claw could be slightly out of adjustment but I cant be certain without an inspection. Something has to be causing the film registration to fluctuate very slightly, the gate and claw are the first things I would inspect.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC