8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Inflatable Screen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inflatable Screen?
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 11:38 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience with showing Super 8 flicks on one of the now many available inflatable screens.

I have no idea if it would work or not and I'm not sure how big an S8 projector can project (screen size)

Walmart sells a 12 X 12 inflatable screen for $168.00.

Any info?

Thanks!

Tim

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inflatable? o_O

Why pay 168 bucks, just flip yer' old pool over without the water in it! [Wink]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 16, 2010 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to kind of a "Drive-In-Movie" using an inflatable screen last summer:

-

It was on a beach parking lot and my only real complaint with it is I remember the surface rippled in the sea breezes. By the same token the idea of putting up a rigid screen in that wind was probably just a chance to go sailing, at least the inflatable would flex and stretch before it dragged you down the coastline.

12 by 12 is a stretch for Super-8. With the best prints and the brightest, sharpest machines, it's doable. as these become compromised it gets dimmer and fuzzier.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 02:10 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used a gemmy inflatable in the past for outdoor home screenings. They work ok as long as the wind is no more than a slight breeze. With a good bright bulb & lens combo a S8mm projector fills the screen fine.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 16, 2010 04:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith Wilton's xenon GS-1200 fills that 24 foot scope screen very nicely at the BFCC.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 16, 2010 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The exact example I was thinking of...wish I'd been there to see it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2010 03:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the HTI is far superior to the xenon. 24 feet doesn't push the best super 8 prints at all - it would go much bigger. But you have to know the best prints to fully comprehend exactly how good Super 8 can be... fortunately Keith has a few of the best 'Scope prints from the first runs of the best releases.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2010 07:48 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I decided NOT to go with the inflatable screen. I bought a DA-LITE 60x60 (I went a little smaller so it would fit in the basement) and I'll use scissor T clips to secure it to the hung ceiling so I can use it indoors.

For outdoor I'll use the same screen plus two PA speaker stands with PVC elbows and a 70 inch PVC pipe with clamps. I've used this method for hanging band backdrops in the past.

Granted you're at the mercy of the wind, but for any inflatable screen I could afford I think I would be as well.

My son and I are going to have an outdoor Super 8 monster movie marathon! We'll invite the neighborhood kids and have popcorn!Should be fun!(at least for me)

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2010 08:28 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Gemmy screen....the 12 foot diagonal ....and i've been very very pleased with it. I even, with difficulty , was able to set it up outdoors for a Halloween event at my church during a rain storm with winds. it was a little hard to handle inthe wind..but once the stakes and lines were in , it stayed put the whole night. These things take about a minute to blow up .....just a joy in that regard...and the image , using my St1200 with a f1.1 lens was superb. The rain just ran off the thing like a well waxed car. I have a DaLite Fast fold 10 foot screen...which is so hard to erect, I have only tried to use it once. It would never have stayed up in the wind on Halloween......and there's no black masking with it like the Gemmy has. However, for indoor use....you are right to go with the other screen. The air pumps in the Gemmy might be heard inside....but outside, you can't tell they are on.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC