8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Reversed stereo sound - anyone else?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reversed stereo sound - anyone else?
Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have searched the forum and have not found anything about this, and I can't beleive I am the only one with prints like this.

To illustrate what I mean I will take an exampe from TV (yes it happens there too). In a scene of a movie I don't remember the name of, a person jumps in to a sports car revs up the engine and goes out of picture to the left, at the same time the sound of the car dissapeares out to the right. So, got the picture?

I have three features and one short where this appears on 8mm, and I cannot beleive that this occurs only on mine prints. And there must be a chance that it is on atleast one more title I don't have.

Of mine prints three are Disney releases, The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers Down Under and Mickey's Christmas Carol, and the non-Disney is the feature of Ben-Hur.

So has anyone else of you who own these releases also reversed sound, or are yours correct?
Oh, and to clearify, this is the original sound and not re-recordings.

It just occured to me, that this also could be a test of how much you have payed attention to detail while watching your films. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars-Goran,

To start with the basics, is your stereo wired correctly?

Have you traced all your in/outs to check the L/R color coding?

How about music that you know? Is it reversed too?

For the films, if your projector has a stereo-out monitor jack, plug in a set of stereo headphones to the projector and watch the action on the screen to make sure the tracks correspond to the action.
If it is right in the headset, it's further down the line that the reversal takes place, and not on your prints.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 12:52 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Claus, I have a total of 20 films in stereo, and only these four have reversed sound, unless it's acctually these who are correct and it's the other 16 that has the reversed sound [Big Grin] .

I acctually have made a split in the lines from the projector and then have four jacks in to a pre-amplifier, one correct pair (right/right - left/left) and one reversed (right/left - left/right). And unless watching the previously mentioned films it's always in the r/r - l/l position, even when watching mono films. So the fault is most definite on the prints and nowere else.

--------------------

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2010 09:17 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, is it really none that have experienced this?
I can only se the following reasons for this lack of response.

1. It's only on my copys. (Highly unlikely)

2. Everybody exept me have re-recorded their copys. (Also highly unlikely)

3. Nobody else have payed attention to the sound when watching and now feels a fool to admit it. (This is probably the most likely)

Now, swallow your pride and come clean, some of you must have this on their prints.

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2010 12:36 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4. Gremlin.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Mickey's CC and Rescuers Down Under, but can only run them in mono. I waiil say that my Rescuers was re-recorded by the previous owner but he used an odd source: the voice of COdy's mother is missing from the beginning of the film! Everything else seems OK though.

Related: The original DVD of The Great Mouse Detective swapped the foreground and background instruments in the score for the last few minutes of the movie, ruining several important cues.

Hopefully the up coming re-master will correct this problem.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having seen any of these for a long time I had no direct moments in the films where this is obvious, but now I just recently saw Ben-Hur.

After the intermission, during the preparations for the chariot race, Sheik Ilderim pins a Star of David on Ben-Hur's belt. Then a muffled fanfare is heard in the right chanel and Ilderim briefly turns to the right, aknowledging the sound. This is how it's heard on the DVD, check it out yourselves. And so it was when I saw it on 8. But, that was with the sound in the left/right - right/left position. So if you would listen at the sound in the "right" way, the fanfare should come from the left.

So, all of you who have this film, with the original provided stereo sound, please watch this and see if this is the case on your prints to. (It most probably is)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC