8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How do you display your collection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you display your collection?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 29, 2010 09:23 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gentleman!
I have a question for you. I recently moved and now have the ability to place many of my Super 8 films on bookshelves. Sounds like a great idea to have them out right?
As I was putting them out, I realized that for the longest time they have been in a closet where it was always dark and cool. Now I am putting it out and Im worried that doing so will possibly cause the colors to shift, vinegar syndrome, etc.
I live in New York City and right now the temperature is cool but summer is coming and that usually means high humidity. AC will be on when im home but not all the time.
All the films I have put out are in their original cardboard boxes, or their 600ft Plastic Cans, or their 1200ft plastic cans and are not in direct sunlight.
Any opinions? Ideas? How are you displaying your collection?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 29, 2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being that I'm not a big fan of box art I'd say I display my collection using projectors.

(Sorry! Couldn't pass that one up...)

My films are actually (sort of) in hiding. This is a leftover from the days when my son was a toddler and I caught him wrapping himself in a reel of film one day. He's in elementary school now and we're cool on whose toys are whose.

I have some shelves meant for CD storage that do fine for 200 footers. I have them organized by general subject categories to make them easier to find. The herd of 400 footers is smaller and fits onto its own shelf in loose categories.

600 footers and 400s in large cases go on another shelf.

Features, 800 footers and a few slide carousels are on a third one.

The biggest rule is the films have to go on the shelves with the labels visible. Makes life go much smoother!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 29, 2010 10:09 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,

Some members have posted how they display their collection in this thread: How do you stack your films

You can see how Gian's Damien's and others incl myself.

ps: to Gian and Damien, your photos were replaced by different photos because you put non-unique names.

--------------------
Winbert

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2010 10:14 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha I noticed that happened before, I'll try and fix it up.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 29, 2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Display them to who???
I thought movies were for watching.
[Razz]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 29, 2010 03:43 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vertical is the rule, though stacking a few (under 10) 200' or 400' is okay - Maintain an even-level of air circulation, even in summer, fan mode works while AC is at rest - Living on the Watchung Mountain Range, I have an advantage of a permanent film storage climate control system, and I add the cool AC to emphasize it along - Winter is set; I maintain a temperate environment, and importantly run films twice a year while cleaning them - That's part of it, Shorty

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 29, 2010 06:12 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks much for all the replies. And the great link!
I never thought to search for the word "Stack" since I placed them all vertically.
Ok. Now the living room is now the "Cinema" room! [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 29, 2010 10:28 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screening party at Rik's place!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2010 01:56 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought another set of shelves from Ikea. Their Billy shelves are excellent for Super 8 film storage and display.

David

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2010 03:26 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for telling me, Winbert [Wink] .
I'll try to fix it (cannot remember if I still have those pics).
Ciao.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2010 03:40 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a small IKEA shelf with my "featurettes" in one shelf, shorts in one shelf, and one shelf for empty reels, lenses and soforth.

Will see if I can get a photo of it.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2010 08:06 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just bought another set of shelves from Ikea. Their Billy shelves are excellent for Super 8 film storage and display.

David

The Expedits are famous in the record collecting community, Ikea seem to have a cabinet for every collectable!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2010 12:11 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Australia Post BP boxes to store my 45 singles in; even cheaper than Ikea!

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2010 11:39 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That easily outclasses my old shoe boxes [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC