8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8mm vs. 16mm? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8mm vs. 16mm?
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 02:44 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a film collector first, so will collect in whatever format the film comes in. I am foremost a Super 8 collector, but love the resolution of 16mm for my shorts and cartoons. If I can find the title in 35mm, then even better.

As my 70mm film collection has shrunk (literally!) my 9.5mm has grown. It got to the point that all my 70mm was either faded or VS.

There is something special about a Super 8 box.

David

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 05:19 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect films in Super 8 and 16mm formats. I collect mainly vintage horror films but I now seem to have started getting old British comedies, westerns and American TV horror movies from the 60's and 70's. Obviously there is far more choice of titles on the larger guage, but space is an issue and to be honest as I get older I am finding the weight of the 16mm projectors to be an issue as well. I usually replace a Super 8 print title with a 16mm print of the same title when I find them.

Paul.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 04, 2010 09:42 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the big thing that super 8 has, that 16mm does not, is magnetic stereo sound. Simply put, super 8 mag stereo sound quality is way ahead of 16mm optical mono fidelity. On musical films, like Grease stereo re-recording makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of the film, and with the vast catalogue of DVD's now available, just about any super 8 print that you have can be re-recorded using the best available digital source material.
I also like the (relative) compactness of super 8mm films and equipment. 16mm seems big, bulky, and noisy in comparison.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 04, 2010 10:41 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started with 16 really, though I bought my first Castles in Std 8 - Both gauges are sharp, but for ecomomical savings, I shifted to Std 8 then when Super 8 came, went that way and stuck with both gauges - I'll match many of my Super & Std 8mm prints against a 16 anytime - No brag, just fact - Shorty

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 01:59 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"(Super 8) Has nearly the same image area as 16mm."
Actually, 16mm has 3.23x the frame area of Super 8. I have used 8mm, Super 8, 16mm, and 35mm. All things being equal, a larger guage will have higher quality, and finer grain than a smaller guage. The same goes for image steadiness, since there is less magnification for the same size picture. The larger the image you project, the more the larger guage will have an impact on your quality as well.

--------------------
John Hermes

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 04:22 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 16mm, Super-8 and Standard-8.
If we are talking laws of physics here (and John, you beat me to the frame size [Big Grin] ) 16mm is better looking than 8mm because there is more film, period. For the same reason 35mm beats the pants off 16mm and the two will never look alike.

It makes no sense to me when someone says "A good 8mm will beat a bad 16mm", because what is the point of such a comparison?

If you compare bad 8mm to bad 16mm/good 8mm to good 16mm/fantastic 8mm to fantastic 16mm, then you are at least 'standing on the same ground' when making the comparison, and you will see the differences between the formats, not between the quality differences in the printings.

I just watched a very fine Standard-8 Blackhawk print, a silent film. Amazing for the format, but I wouldn't dream of saying it looked like a 16mm of the same quality would. It doesn't have the same resolution because it can't. Less film surface/lower resolution.
Now, if I watch the Standard-8 on a small screen, yes, it competes better with a 16mm, but if I get it up to where I like it, the difference is there.

(Ok, off the soapbox.... [Roll Eyes] )

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 07:55 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a tri-gauge collector, super8, 16mm and 35mm!
All have their pros and cons.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 04, 2010 08:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,
Although I broadly agree with your points, I think it's worth factoring in the overall attributes a what you are liable to get hold of. Although I've replaced several Super 8 features with 16mm ones, I doubt if I'll ever so with a film like ALIENS. If I did, it would almost certainly be sharper, despite the Super 8 print being excellent, but if I also take into account that it would probably be full frame (as apposed to widescreen); it would probably have at least a few scratches and splices; and it wouldn't have decent stereo sound, for me it's a situation where overall I'm likely to prefer watching my pristine Super 8 print.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2014 07:46 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I switched to 16mm for three important reasons:
-Better image and sound qualitiy
-I know that nowadays Super8 releses can be as great as 16mm prints. But I am not interested in horror and Science-Fiction movies at all. Unfortunately nearly all the recent Super8 releases or planned releases are either horror or SciFi.
-There is a much wider range of titles available in 16mm! I love films like Woody Allen's "Purple Rose Of Cairo" which I screened last night. No chance this will ever be printed on Super8!
With 16mm there is a chance to find the films I truly love.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2014 08:47 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, thanks for bringing this topic back to the top! I missed it. I collect standard 8, super 8 and 16mm. I just love film and I have projectors set up for each. Everyone has pretty much explained the pros and cons of each. I do also have two 35mm trailers (Snake Eyes & Carlito's Way) of one of my favorite directors (Brian DePalma) but have no way of showing them. But they are nice to have. I also really like the box art.

Bill [Smile]

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2014 03:09 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,"Purple Rose of Cairo" is available in super 8,optical sound.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 03:01 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just before xmas I did my yearly show at a local railway society in a hall, showing a mixture of s8 and 16mm film. I used the same screen size, amplifier and speakers for both formats but the 16mm material proved its superiority, with a sharper picture and better balanced, clearer sound. S8 has lots of nostalgic memories for me, but having worked in film production in the past I can definitely put S8 in the domestic category, and 16mm in the semi professional one. Thats after all, how the formats were intended to be used.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 03, 2014 06:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-There is a much wider range of titles available in 16mm!
If you are talking old releases, you may be right. But for later releases, such as Disneys titles or Speed, Fugitive, Ice Age, Chicken Run, Titanic, etc, it is easier to get on super 8mm. I was not sayingthat would be impossible to get those titles on 16mm, but considering none of those titles were released to public on 16mm, there is a very little chance to get it now unless we have a link to the cinema/libarary.

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 07:38 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I collect titles in both 16mm and Super 8mm and have found that the later titles released by Derann on Super 8 are greatly superior to 16mm in both sound and picture quality due to the very best master material being used to make the prints. "El Cid" released by Lone Wolf films was stunning . The first run prints of "Predator" from Derann were excellent as was their release of "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines".

Michael Scheck
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 09:14 AM      Profile for Michael Scheck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Winbert I am talking of older releases / movies.
I agree with you that the Derann super8 releses are as good or even better than 16mm.
But I am not particularly interested to own "recent blockbusters" (like the ones Winbert refers to) but in films I would call "valuable contributions to film history". And that includes older films as well.
For example: Seeing Murnaus silent masterpiece "Faust" on 8mm is horrible experience, because the picture is cropped on probably all four sides and blurry like mist.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 10:04 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree with Patrick, All the guages have their pros and cons. Here in the U.K. It has only been possible to collect 16mm feature films in any number since film libraries, T.V. companies and Local Authorities disposed of their stocks and the main distribuers started producing them on V.H.S. Prior to the this time we had to hire them and some of the main distributers would only hire to what they called "Bone Fide Organisations" and not individuals! When Pathescope 9.5mm finished. Some enthusiasts in Group 9.5 including myself, approached some of the 16mm distributers suggesting that instead of scrapping prints which they no longer needed, they could be cut and re perforated to 9.5mm by the late Larry Pearce and thus fill a gap in the market. Unfortunately the reponse was negative. So, coming back to the situation today. Technically the 16mm image quality of 16mm should be better than S8, but S8 magnetic sound quality should be better than 16mm Optical because of the limited frequency range of 16mm mono optical sound. Ken Finch.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 04, 2014 11:07 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much as I appreciate the great quality of many Super 8 prints, particularly from the 80s and 90s, I wonder if collectors calling them superior to 16mm have watched superb 16mm prints from the same era? In my experience, the quality of colour 16mm prints improved considerably in the 1980s (not simply because of low fade stocks) and prints from the 1990s and 2000s derived from studio negatives really are stunning. If anyone is unconvinced, come round and take a look at my 'Alien Resurrection' (1997) and then see if you can tell me that the best Super 8 prints beat it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 04, 2014 01:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The frequency response of super 8 magnetic stripe is way beyond anything achievble with 16mm optical. Plus, of course, super 8mm has stereo sound capability which 16mm does not.
Obviously, all things being equal, a 16mm print has to be superior to super 8mm. But that does not mean that all 16mm prints are superior to all super 8mm prints. Source material and the quality of the lab printing can totally change the equation, and there are a lot of S8 prints that are as good as, and even some better than, 16mm prints of the same title.
For myself, I would much rather watch a top quality super 8 print of a musical film which has been re-recorded in glorious magnetic stereo, than a 16mm mono optical print of the same film.
Stereo just adds so much to the impact of these kinds of films, where sound quality plays such a major role.
And 16mm is simply too bulky to consider for my home collection.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 04, 2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no question that 16mm has the potential of a better picture.

There's also no question that Super-8 magnetic has the potential of better sound.

-then again how many geniuses are there out there making their living pushing a broom around?

In all cases it's a matter of people striving to reach the potential, even more than the potential itself.

It's the joy of collecting films: finding the best examples, and then projecting them to their potential too.

I stay with S8 because doing that is what's most practical given the limits of my lifestyle. If you took those limits completely away I would certainly go into...70mm!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2014 02:59 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's Super 8 -> Reg 8 -> 16 mm, except for old silents in which I prefer Reg 8 (pre-1930s). The reason for this is simple: my Super 8 machine is great and has a good 1.1 lens, while my 16mm machine is shite. Also, Super 8 is a space-saver for me, at least until we finish our house extension [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2014 05:38 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shite..is that a Norwegian word?

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 04, 2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, ha ... Here's the definition :-)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shite

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 05, 2014 09:11 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve has highlighted - "potential" is a key word here. Even if Super 8 sound can potentially be better, I'd still say that a significantly higher proportion of my 16mm prints have sound that I'd grade as good to excellent. Collectors who record their own high quality sountracks are obviously at a significant advantage, especially with regard to stereo. A remarkably high proportion of films sold with stereo tracks had sound problems of one sort of another - which used to drive lots of us nuts!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC