8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Deleted by author (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Deleted by author
Colin Pritchett
Junior

- posted July 03, 2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Colin Pritchett   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Pritchett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if my post to inform others of a unpleasant experience on eBay was offensive, I will refrain from trying to make others aware of this type of situation in the future and hopefully other members will not have the same experience I did...

[ July 04, 2010, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Colin Pritchett ]

--------------------
C. Pritchett

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 03, 2010 10:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin,

I will not blame the seller, you were the buyer should have been aware what you were buying. He didn't make any mistake in this case, so he did not have an obligation to follow your order. Sorry if I am seen to be standing on his side.

BTW, you just make 3 postings and you already open someone Ebay ID here and bashing him/her, it doesn't seem fair to me.

Two things that I hate in the forum is first, someone registering as a member and make one posting only for the thing he is selling and never come back again after that. Second, is someone using the forum to blame/flame someone else.

quote:
obviously he is just an ass
Lastly, "a**" word is something unusual here.

thank you,

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 03, 2010 11:28 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moment Catchers reel adapters are $2.50. Why not ask to return the super 8 reel for an 8mm reel.

http://www.momentcatcherproductions.com/page6.html

I've bought several supplies from Moment Catcher and have had correspondence with them. No problems.

Colin Pritchett
Junior

- posted July 04, 2010 01:11 AM      Profile for Colin Pritchett   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Pritchett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
C. Pritchett

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 02:22 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin, if you need something just send me an email and I will help you out however I am able - if you need a reel or some other supplies I'm sure I have something around here that I will happily donate.

nrlabs ( at ) comcast.net

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 04, 2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the original post here as it's been deleted by the author but, generally speaking, I feel it's important that bad ebay experiences are reported. Our hobby is one in which a lot of shady characters operate - selling crappy prints, etc - particularly in 16mm.
It's important that fellow collectors are made aware of such sellers.
I'm speaking generally and again I reiterate the fact that I haven't read the original post so I'm not commenting on this particular case. However, we should not deter any members from reporting bad dealings.

Incidentally, Winbert - "ass" is not going to upset anyone, surely. [Smile]

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 04:15 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
"Ass" is an alternative word for "donkey" and simply refers to someone's stupidity or bad behaviour. The word that is offensive is an old Anglo Saxon word of FOUR letters, including one "A", one"R", one"S" and one "E".
There, that was delicately put, was it not?
Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 04, 2010 05:24 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

I totally object and am horrified to find you using "one A, one R, one S and one E" in your above post!!!
-Mike
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 05:46 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to get the smelling salts out. [Big Grin]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 04, 2010 08:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin,

While we do try to let members know about eBay dealers to be wary of, we are also very careful about defaming anyone or calling them names. I believe your original post stated (and since you've deleted it, I can't check) that the dealer in question actually didn't do anything illegal. You said you purchased the wrong type of reel (Super 8mm instead of Standard 8) and if I remember accurately, you did not ask for a return but instead requested him to send you an 8mm adaptor for free, which he certainly is not obligated to do. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

By the way, I'm sure I have a Regular 8 to Super 8 reel adaptor I can send you if you'd e-mail me your address.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 04, 2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug's post above can clear everything.

BTW, English is not my mother language, but to Micheal and Martin, can this below link be considered to understand what I meant in terms of the word that I am worried of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arse

(see the most bottom, because the 4 letter you are referring is the 3 letters that I meant ... in American English)

And more over Michael, I remember that in one post you were talking about 16mm forum and you say:

quote:
Its a great forum over there for us 16mm collectors but I typed the word "ass" in one post and it was replaced by "kumquat" - - - hilarious!!
taken from: Trouble With 16mmFilmTalk.com

If that word is not going to upset anyone, why that forum has an automatic censor against that particular word?

Anyway...again English is not my first language. [Razz]

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 05, 2010 05:41 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Regarding the 16mm forum - I have no idea. You would have to ask the admin over there.
[Smile]

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2010 08:11 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right Wimbert, I know English is not your first language. My post was meant to be informative and NOT critical in any way, knowing that you've moved to Canada and are probably exposed to the brand of (non)English spoken in America.
From "my Fair Lady" ...."some peoples English simply leaves you close to tears; in America they haven't spoken it for years!"
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2010 11:07 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I know we are adults on this forum, I would tend to agree with Winbert, that words like "a**" are better left out of the forum. In fact, if I searched old 8mm forum posts, I'd be surprised to find enough of those words to count on one hand.

I've always felt that this particular forum has prided itself with civil, mature, thoughtful and knowledgable discussions (of course, there's appropriate humor as well [Wink] ). This is what sets the 8mm forum above many others, in my opinion.

I don't think you will find the atmosphere of this forum anywhere else these days [Cool] .

James.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 07, 2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, James. [Smile]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2010 01:04 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. C'mon - Group Hug! I'll buy the beer!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 07, 2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 07, 2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see Michael is speechless. [Big Grin]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 07, 2010 02:05 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Actually I ***umed I had deleted my last post!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 07, 2010 02:09 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget that Jolson's "Hallelujah, I'm A Bum" was changed to "Hallelujah, I'm A Tramp" in case it gave offence.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 07, 2010 02:12 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure the word "bum" is appropriate on this respectable forum, Maurice!!!
[Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 07, 2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see we just can't tear ourselves away from slang terms for "buttocks". I do believe we've hit.....bottom.
What a cheeky group.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2010 11:23 PM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a messy bunghole in one of my prockets,but more importaint,piles of end projects to do and not enough time to wipe the slate clean of the to doo things.
Everything just gets pushed to the rear,might need to arsek for help cleaning up the workload,
Just hate sticky fingers lubing my strips all the time. [Razz]

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2010 11:38 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See- There's that good sense of humor I was talking about [Wink] .

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 08, 2010 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but I object to use of the word "prockets" on a family forum [Razz]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC