8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Safety Last - Harold Lloyd (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Safety Last - Harold Lloyd
Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2010 07:31 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there may be different versions of the T-L Lloyd films.
The Blackhawk prints have the jazz-band version of the opening theme from the show -- which I understand to be called "Hooray for Harold Lloyd." I've heard that there are T-L versions with narration in lieu of title cards, but I've never seen one.

I've seen on eBay T-L title cards that pair SAFETY LAST with the abridged HOT WATER. I have prints of both titles, issued by BH, each with their own titles.

|  IP: Logged

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this feature too on 3x400 foot reels, which was the Timelife version issued by Blackhawk.

The most obvious scene misssing from the Timelife version was when Harold went into the shop to finally buy the chain for the pendant he had earlier sent Mildred. As he counts out the money you see pictures of a lunch with food disappearing until only a cup of coffee remains after he is done counting.

Unlike most people I actually preffered the high energy dixieland band (not Jazz) that did the music for the Timelife version of the film. In fact I think it works much better than the music selected for the DVD release, especially on the opening scene when the audience is led to believe that he is about to be hung and the priest is administering last rights to him. When the camera pulls back and we see it is in fact a train station and the Dixieland band comes in full blast and really sets the scene perfectly whereas the music on the DVD is just dismal on this scene and does not have the same impact at all. I also felt the sound effects used in the Timelife version were well done and spot on as opposed to instruments doing the sound effects on the DVD. In my humble opinion, even with the slight editing, the Timelife version is a masterpiece and really a much more entertaining and enjoyable experience for audiences than the DVD release.

My only gripe with this film other than being very slightly edited was the contrast of my print where everything that was supposed to be black just looked gray. A bad day at the film lab perhaps for my copy. My copy also made reference to Hot Water in the title credits but was not part of the actual film I had.

Just my thoughts on the film.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2010 06:15 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting -- my SAFETY LAST makes no mention of HOT WATER.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC