8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » orange spots on film???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: orange spots on film???
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2010 09:31 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this film for a while and have now found a replacement does anybody have an idea what these orange spots are and what might have caused them it was like this when i got it so i know my storage is not to blame
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 19, 2010 09:44 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

I have a few black & white prints with this problem. The fault is with the lab taking a shortcut during processing. The fix has not been totally removed because of poor washing. The orange/brown spots show up as the print gets older.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 19, 2010 10:14 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will these spots gradually appear in short sections of the film or will they show up it the whole film? Does this happen with LPP on polyester too?

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2010 09:22 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,I've never had it happen to a color or polyester film so far.But I have three older B&W prints with the dots.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 19, 2010 09:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I ever saw it was on a Blackhawk B&W print. If I remember right it was throughout the reel.

-What a shame it wasn't a movie about Outer Space: it looks a little bit like the old Star Trek credits!

"Laurel and Hardy: The Final Frontier"

(-talk about your mixed metaphor!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2010 09:42 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it occurs in just one part of the frame, it could be heat blistering from a mis-aligned xenon light source. This damage is generally confined to a hot-spot where the hottest/brightest part of the lamp was concentrated.

If it is right through the print, then it is likely a processing problem as mentioned above.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2010 01:25 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is generally processing shortcuts as I see it more often on the cheapy 8mm shorts I have, and a handful of Blackhawks...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and it is a blackhawk print it is not through the whole film but parts through out it, thanks for the info. [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 20, 2010 12:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the dots worse during dark scenes and title cards like you posted? If so that is most probably heat damage from the projection bulb (for example, running the film too slow). The darker the frame, the more it traps the heat from the bulb.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope there is no damage to the film frames the spots may run an inch or so here and there I know what your saying and the film usually gets warped when the frames get burnt, that may have been the case when the person before me had it, but wouldn’t it be the whole film not sporadic like it is now?

--------------------
jim schrader

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 21, 2010 04:55 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks quite clearly like oxidation - bad processing - to me. I have a couple prints with this.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2012 10:02 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to bring this up because I am noticing this on an alarming number of B&W prints in my little collection, and just now saw it on a rare and likely irreplacable trailer.

Has anyone ever successfully reversed or halted this process? Or is it a matter of time until the reel becomes an unwatchable storm of orange blotches?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2012 01:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few with this problem as well, though I personally think it's kind of charming as it passes through the projector ... reproductions of ancient films, now looking even more ancient with this "spot problem" ... cool ...

Now, if these "spot chemicals" can wipe off in the film gate and possibly infect other films, now that wouldn't be cute at all!

I also tend to notice them only at the beginnings and endings of a reel, almost as if they either sped up or slowed down the process as the reels went through the "solutions".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 22, 2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
I'm pretty certain it won't progress.
My print hasn't changed over the years.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2012 03:28 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, it's entirely possible that my eye has improved over the years for recognizing defects (sidebar: debate whether that's a blessing or a curse). However, I'm pretty sure these orange spots have begun to appear only in the past few years. Boy, do I hope I'm wrong and you're right!

Osi, there is a charm to projecting inobtrusive defects, but in this case it wasn't charming. However, I've a few other things I'd still show to an audience in a heartbeat.

Now the film in question has orangy bits all over it, head to tail, though the other ones I've ever seen only had them at the start or end like Osi's. And the orangy bits are either random or attached to wear or scratches.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 22, 2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a case of "film measles" to me. [Eek!] Take 2 features and call me in the morning! [Big Grin]

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recenly cleaned one of my first films from the mid 70's, which was a 50ft headline edition of Bride Of Frankenstien. Since it wasn't propperly stored over the years, and moisture etc got in, it has taken on those similar spots as well. I always thought those spots were only a lab defect too.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 23, 2012 01:35 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well perhaps I'm mistaken.If it's not a lab defect but rather due to moisture contamination, then I guess it could progress.
The print I have has not changed over the past few years.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC