8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Big Horror and Monster reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Horror and Monster reels
Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2011 05:38 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the most of you I like the short phantastic reels of film,that came out in the seventies. Yes,I believe,that I like the short 200 and 400 feet versions more than the complete features. The digests are the heart of film collecting in Super 8 mm. But I dont like to go every eight minutes to the projector to change the reel. So I decided to put all the 200 feet phantastic digests in super 8 sound and pack them to full 800 feet reels. Now I have up to 40 minutes joy with old horror,monster and scific films without break. Okay,now I have the boxes with the artwork not so often in my hand, but therefore the short versions one after the other are my most beloved reels of film. Because I dont like the films are so unsorted, I made the following reels of film, all are 800 feet sound.
1. a monster reel
2. a scific reel
3. a jap.monster reel
4. a fantasy reel
5. a planet of the apes reel
6. 3 reels of horror films.

To describe the reels, I start with the monster reel.
The first film is the 1955 castle film Tarantula.
This classic has a fantastic image quality,it looks like a good 16 print, but therefore it has a lot of splices. It is a silent version with german subtitles. the first owner striped it with a magnet soundtrack,and I put the german sound on it.Despite the many splices a reel I love.
Next title is the castle sound version of The deadly mantis from 1957.
The only german release was the silent super 8 digest under the title: das todbringende Ungeheuer. This digest I know since my childhood. I was so glad to get the sound version. One of the best monstermovies on super 8mm.The quality is rather good.
The next title is the may be worst american monster movie of all time. It is the columbia film The giant Claw. This sound digest has excellent picture quality and one of the funniest monster of al time. It has a missing title,many splices but I love it.
Next title on the reel is the british monster flic Konga ,from ken films. Despite the bad colors it is fun to watch. My version has german sound.
The last title on this reel is the american Film Reptilicus,from 1962. The story of this film takes part in Kopenhagen,Danmark. Reptilicus looks a little bit like Manda ,from Atragon. Cause it is a color film,it is a litle bit faded,but not so strong like Konga. Altogether,this monster reel from my collection is deep in my heart and runs almost 40 minutes.
I hope,you like the idea to put 200 feet reels to one big reel. Next time I write about the other reels.
Greetings from Germany
Andreas Borutta

|  IP: Logged

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2011 06:51 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Andreas; I like to splice the 200 and 400 footers together so I can sit down and enjoy the films and avoid jumping up every 7 minutes. I do have some features on Super 8, but all my digests get more use.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC