8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Titanic (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Titanic
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 30, 2011 05:05 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Colin
I still have a few Cineavision prints "Born Free" and "Jaws2". The colour disappeared long ago with "Born Free" much better now to watch on dvd on the VP....oops! did I say that [Roll Eyes] but still enjoy a Scope reel full of Tom and Jerry Cinavision prints.

Yikes! 186 minutes of Leo and Kate in 3D [Eek!] a bit much for my poor old eyes, the last 2D to 3D conversion I watched was "Beauty and the Beast" and that was bad enough my old Super8 feature would have been much better. I see The Lion King is also being re-released in 3D, hope they do a better job of it.

As for a feature film on "Titanic" you cant beat the 1958 "A Night To Remember" in glorious Black and White and there are still plenty of Super8 prints around on that one. [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 30, 2011 07:37 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right A Night to Remember is such a super movie and we will be screening it here again as per usual on the 3rd July as per its original release date. John Merivale had such a sympathetic character in this version and I love it every time he is on screen. I’m looking forward to Sunday when the usual suspects come round for our annual screening, although I've never been sure if they keep coming for the film or the real ale..

Anyone else have a print?
Perhaps we can have a global synchronised super 8 screening this Sunday.. [Wink]

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2011 07:06 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're actually screening "Meet Me In St. Louis" this Sunday evening... from a certain someone named Lee. ;-)

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2011 07:57 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So after a little tossing and turning, I decided to order Titanic... after researching which was more cost efficient, I am going with a new print from Steve Osborne at The Reel Image (he orders it directly from Germany). The price is around $1,200 give or take. I think Greg was curious about what the price is right now. I know it's a bit high... but... it's only money, right! It is the 100 year anniversary after all... Will let everyone know how the print is. It better be beautiful!

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2011 07:59 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am jealous! I am considering ordering Empire Strikes back from him. Saving all my pennies!

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, it's good you've made up your mind and are going for it - you won't be disappointed: I purchased a copy of TITANIC in Fall 2010 and is one of the gems in my collection: absolutely razor sharp with excellent, balanced colors.

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 12, 2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, good luck with your Titanic print. I saw an excerpt of it at the BFCC a few years ago, where John Clancy had it pulse sync'd up to the DVD sound track. The print quality on that 25 foot screen was amazing!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 12, 2011 10:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Id only buy the Titanic feature for one little scene which I would completely wear out ...

Leonardo Di Crapio sinking into the inky depths, over and over and over and over and over again!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2011 01:09 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as what gauge ....I've found today's super 8 prints are really nice and sharp....PLUS... when re-recorded in good stereo...it just increases the value of the print and the viewing experience tremendously. provided you have a top projector....top bulb, lens...two blade shutter and all that...super 8 can be just fine. I sometimes show scope on a 16 foot outdoor screen...painted with Steve Osborne's screen paint..and in many cases...the 8mm prints actually looked better...certainly SOUNDED better. But if you are thinking of a showing in a huge venue...I guess 16 will win out.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2011 06:20 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brian! Very good, my friend. Let us know when you get it and screen it. May need to add that for next year's 'Dive In Movies' lineup... though April may be a little chilly still.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2012 04:49 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, Did you ever get your print of Titanic? How is it?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 09, 2012 07:39 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Think this through Brian,It's a lot of lolly for a film,no matter how
much you like it,so if they've got to have two purchasers,then
that gives you some time to either get the required money saved,
or a cooling off period, where eventually the madness subsides
and Lord knows we've all been there, while another buyer
presents himself.I do hope Mrs Hendel doesn't read this Forum.
Also if you get it through Classic,I'm sure you could pay for it in
installments and that kind of takes the edge of it.To be honest
I think It's a bit of a cheek if you want to buy one of these films
and are expected to wait until they get a buyer for the second print,Telling them where to put it,preferably in a square box
would be my suggestion.Hope it works out for you.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2012 10:12 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I remember, Brian did get his print, and is quite pleased. Review, Brian?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 10, 2012 04:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The super 8 print will probably be one of the only ways you will get to see the film in its original format from now on as any pending Blu-ray release after the 3D reissue will have been digitally touched up.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 06:52 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's sad.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 10, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have mentioned, that I DO have one reel from Titanic, it starts with the two young lovers escaping onto the top deck, and has the whole sequence with the inceberg hitting and then what follows afterwards. I think it runs about 17 or 18 minutes. It is quite sharp, to be sure!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 01, 2013 04:40 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got around to seeing this full length print on Super 8. Wow. Incredible print. Beautiful colors, super sharp, and the sound is very good. This is definitely the crown jewel of prints on Super 8. The best print I own in terms of quality.
I saw this in the theatre once. Then once on VHS many years ago. While I wasn't such a fan of the romance part that is only a small part of the film. The main star of this film is the Titanic and seeing it on a 13ft scope screen as it topples and goes into the water was amazing! If you find a print and you like the film you will not regret purchasing it.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 01, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then, there is the 200' Blackhawk subject with all the existing footage in S8

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2013 02:00 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently viewed a TV programme about the Nazi version of "Titanic" and discovered that footage from this was used in "A Night to Remember" Have also noticed that the Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck starred version is available on DVD. Ken Finch.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC